3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stand for longbows?  (Read 742 times)

Offline Magwa45

• Trad Bowhunter
tree stand for longbows?
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
I had an ol' man climber but it is no good with my 62" longbow. The top section of the climber has a bar extending in front of the seat and this gets in the way of my bow. I don't like the stand. It seems like one false step and the whole thing will collapse. Would a hang on stand be better? I need a solid stand which will give me plenty of room for a longbow. Any suggestions appreciated!
Don in MD

KIMSHA Archery "Mattawoman II" Longbow
Jet Archery "Jaguar" Longbow
Howard Hill Archery "Tembo" Longbow

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stand for longbows?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Any hang on stand should work. For good cheap stnads Gorrillas are great. I love my Lone wolf climber and also my alpha with the LW sticks

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I use a few different types of hang on stands and they all work great. I also use a summit open shot climber and that is by far my favorite, because there is nothing to get in the way of your bow.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
This past season I used my 64" Montana Longbow out of my Lone Wolf Alpha w/climbing sticks and had no problem missing a couple Does and killing one Buck!     :D     Pricey?? Yes but well worth it in my book, the stand will go in any tree!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
I also use a Lone Wolf sit and climb and a couple Alpha's with climbing sticks. They are very versatile stands and IMO are best manufactured stands on the market.

Also check out the Summit treestands. They have a couple that are open in the front. Great stands as well and excellent customer service.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
I bought my first climber this year. It is the Summit Razor SS. It has a fold under bar that is never in the way of my bow. It is one of the main reasons I went with this stand.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:18:00 AM »
Lone Wolf Alpha "Elite" is my favorite fixed stand. I love all that stretch room on a stand I'm not likely to move much. They changed the seat already but mine has a nice back to it too. My LW hand climber works well with my longbow too.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
I use a Lone Wolf hand climber model. Wide open stand, dead quiet, stable, lightest on the market, best stand I have ever owned or tried.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
My Fatman Summit has a rail around it too. I just lean against it and put the bow on the outside. I shoot my 70" Great Northern longbow out of it fine.
I had an Ol Man and didn't like the stability either but the newer designs are no problem.
I'm a little taken aback by guys who say they can't shoot because of the safety rail. I don't get it??????????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Lone Wolf Alpha is hard to beat.
hunt it

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Look at the GAMETAMER TS-30

www.gametamer.com

It fits any tree regardless of how crooked....platform big enough to shoot standing or sitting....seat swivels 360 degrees

Billy

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
First off you do have a safety harness right? You could also canter the bow for your shot.

You could also use your climber to get up in the tree and then attach a lock-on stand to hunt from. This way You could leave your stand in the tree and no one could get to it.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
We have moved almost entirely to ladders.  Been using the Loggy 15' brush ladder.  I has only a seat (no arm rests or rails), and it breaks down to a nice small size.

If you are still looking for climbers, Summit is great for the money.  If that isn't a problem, then Lone Wolf.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
For hang ons are pretty cheap and very stable, I have about 10 of them.

Offline arklongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
I'm one of the over sixty crowd now, so the climbers are a little tough on an old man.  I use the ladders, even though I hunt public land here in NW Arkansas I have never had anyone bother them.  I do chain them in just in case.  Most ladders now days are really stable and roomy.

Offline Stringslap16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Just hunt the ground, and put the extra money toward a another bow!  :)
I am a bowhunter in who the old ways have joined the new

Samick Spirit II 40# at 28"
Monsters Bows Lycan (Soon)
Monster Bows Dragon (Sooner)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Another vote for Lone Wolf Alphas and climbing sticks.  Lightweight and a lot more versatile placement than a climber.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I use a homemade with a large base that give plenty of room to step out.  the problem seems to be too much exposure and I had several small groups 'look up' this year and then circle out of range.  I need to work on my angle and some form of front cover.  I made also go to the 'leafy' style of clothing that may break up shape better.

Ground hunting was not an option this year becasue it was so dry and the whitetail could hear you coming too easy.  If there was eough wind to cover the sound, I think it was too windy to get a good shot.

Boy we needed wet weather but not a drop of rain the whole archery season.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I've got a summit thats a real nice climber,I strap the top section to the tree with a ratchet strap so I'm confident about leaning into it which needs to be done on close shots with a LB.

If I was to buy another climber I'd go with the lonewolf assuming the price wasn't a big thing...remember you'll likely only buy 1 in your lifetime with that in mind it may not be that big an investment

Ladders like BobW said work well as do most hang-on type stands without rails

Good luck and remember the ground comes up faster without a saftybelt
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
remember you'll likely only buy 1 in your lifetime with that in mind it may not be that big an investment

Oops.  I've used up about 5 lifetimes so far......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©