3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I alone?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Am I alone?
« on: January 21, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
In thinking that the latest releases in broadheads are getting incredulously pricey?
It all started with Silver Flames. I researched those and both import duties and the amount of precision work that goes into them are both heavily responsible for the price of these excellent broadheads. Now we have all the extremely heavy single bevel, tanto tipped, two blades and the 300 Xtreme 3 blade. All over $60 for a 3 pack. I mean I know they are all well made and are the result of extensive research and in my own opinion quite simply the cat's pajamas; but it just seems incredible to me that it's now possible for each arrow in your quiver to be worth about $100 so you quiver and arrows can now cost as much or nearly so as your bow. Whoa be it unto he that loses one of these projectiles. It would seem that luminocks are now required just to insure arrow retrival after a shot in the field. This is just a Winter's day pondering question meant to start a civil conversation and some rumnations. I was just a little stunned to realize this after getting an e-mail from the biggest Traditional Archery Catalogue about new items.
What do you folks thinks?
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I alone?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Well, I really don't know what to think, other than the market will bear, what the market will bear.  I have to budget fairly closely in the winter season to make sure the house stays warm, the mortgage gets paid, and I can afford some few select victuals that I dearly love.  Yet I do appreciate the fact that someone has the drive to create a $30.00 broadhead, and I will be extremely impressed to see it sell enough to allow for its continued existance.

Now, since I don't intend to go on any expensive hunts for exotic game that would require the use of such a projectile point, it would be silly of me to borrow from the bank to procure said items.
I am a simple hunter of game indigenous to the area in which I abide.  Pennsylvania.  No two-thousand pound buffalo here.

Yet I hold no condemnation for the guy who yearns for a Purdy shotgun or Bentley automobile, nor do I have any contempt for those who bandy about the Rift in search of large and dangerous game.  I fear I would not make them a good companion anyway since I am a curmudgeonous hillbilly at best.

Now.....what was the question?

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Nope.  I'm sure they're awesome heads but like George said, I'm not huntin buffalo so it's kind of relative I guess.

Ethan

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I agree with you I think that these broadheads are very well made and with the time and material put into making them may be worth every penny. And for some game some may believe they are necessary BUT I cant afford to pay 25 to 30 each for broadheads and see no need to when my old zwickeys and magnus keep killing things when I do my part.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
I DONT THINK YOU ARE ALONE.I GOT CAUGHT UPIN THE BROADHEAD TEST RESULTS.BUT I COULD NOT GET THEM SHARP.I AM STICKING TO MY WENSEL WOODSMANS AND ACE STANDARDS.I CAN KEEP THOSE SHARP.AND THEY DONT BREAK THE BANK TO LOOSE ONE.THEY STILL OPEN NICE HOLES AND GOOD BLOOD TRAILS.I GUESS ITS ALL IN WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND AND WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU...

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I wear my combat boots to work, running shoes running, and dress shoes with my suits.  Use what is required for the job.  Special hunts are worth the extra buck on equipment.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Nevermind the popular "green" movement... I enjoy re-using (refinishing) equipment of the past and make most of my hunting needs.  

Fifteen years from now if those blades are still around, I'll by them from someone for hopefully 1/4 the price and sharpen them up for my deer hunt since I can't find a buffalo in this desert of mine.
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
With absolutely no offense to any of the businessmen that freequent this site, business is...well business. You come up with a product, charge what you think will be paid for it, and hope to make a profit.
Animals have been falling to broadheads since they were stone. I dont need to pay 30 bucks a head to think I can kill an animal quickly.
It comes down to not what they are charging, but what you are willing to pay. Will a 30 dollar newly designed head kill any better than the 20 year old designs? I think it is all up to the individual hunter.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I might like to have one just for my arrow collection but will wait like WC to get one from someone else. Last month I saw a Kore Duryee arrow (complete w/ bear razorhead) go on E*@Y for $15.50!! I cannot see spending $30.00 on a new BH. But to each their own.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
I'm sure all of the heads you mentioned are fine heads.  However this is precisely the reason we introduced a 300 grain 2 blade, single bevel, tanto tipped broadhead this year at $14.99 per 3.

Our goal was to present an affordable yet quality alternative at a price anyone can afford.

Sponsor\\'s Classifieds Link - Details

Tusker Broadheads at Braveheart Archery    

We are pleased to announce we will have a second 300 grain head coming soon at the same price.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I agree with George ,if you can afford them and want them Great , but there are many options for everyone that will continue to work many snuffers woodamans and zwickeys have killed anything that walkes or flyes   Just do your part shoot a heavy enough arrow put it where it counts and the game wont know the diffrence what brand killed it   :thumbsup:    :archer:
Gord

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Tusker always has great broadheads that won't break the bank.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I fully support the research and development of such broadheads. Most things are on a continuum however. It's all up to each individual at what point they want to stop whether it be how much technology they will allow to touch a bow or how much money they are willing to spend. If at such point I can afford to hunt cape buffalo, I will revisit such research but I hunt beside guys who are killing the same animal species I am with selfbows and stone points. I'd need to see incontrovertible (or at least strong) evidence where all the variables were controlled for, that proved that a significant percentage more animals were wounded instead of killed by not using the latest broadhead, before I would spend the money. I weep already when I lose a field point!     :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I am so with curveman.

I think that your ability to keep whatever broadhead you are using SHARP is most most most important. If your shooting a really great new style broadhead that works perfectly when sharp-- but YOU cannot sharpen them... then your better off with what you can sharpen: and shoot straight.

That would be delta zwickeys for me    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
I agree with much of what has been written above. That being said, I'll bet that there are still a shocking number of guys that will pay the price. If we hadn't paid it in the past, prices wouldn't be where they are now. What do ya think?

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
I do believe their purchase is 100% optional.

Therefore I cannot fathom the reason that anyone choosing not too purchas could care less what they cost.
JMO

Steve

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
It's merely an option like everything we use. Some will only buy a $100 old used Bear bow and some will insist on buying the $1000+ bows but bottom line is that both bows will kill any animal on the planet and it is our own personal choice. Same with broadheads.   :)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
I think it's all great.  Doc Ashby certainly added a new dimension to the way I look at broadheads.  There are guys (maybe gals too!) out there doing all sorts of different things today.  Some computer/machinists are making any shape EDM heads that cost wise would be in the hundreds if you had to get your hands on an EDM machine.  Even my hand forged heads would be as expensive as a forged knife with the amount of time I take to make 'em (not that I'd ever try to sell 'em  :)

Whatever makes you happy and you fell confident in using is the way to go.  But my hat's off to those that are pushing the envelope of something new & different.  It's just plan fun to experiment...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
I think it is great that we have entrepreneurs that have time and money to research and develop these products for us. We are lucky to have these people. Now as far as cost goes there is little to argue about. High quality goes to say that they will last longer and therefore you should require less of them. For example the Silver Flame, I bought 9 of them when they came out 3-4 years ago. I still have eight! One was damaged on a trophy rock all others have been sharpened 20 times over and killed lots. Another example the 300Xtreme which I have six of at present. I killed five critters with just one of the 300xtremes. Kill stuff - resharpen - kill more stuff! Now with cheaper heads I'd have had to buy three or four more packs due to damage etc. So, I don't think there is much of an argument for high cost. If it's a quality product it will stand up to time.
hunt it

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
That 300 Xtreme is a huge improvement in the three blade world and I think, well worth the money.  Not so impressed by the more expensive two blade models simply because the Grizzly is so good at doing the same thing.  I like seeing new heads as long as the old ones stick around.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©