3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bobcat hunting suggestions  (Read 360 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Bobcat hunting suggestions
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
One of my goals this year to was try to get a shot at a bobcat.  I've only got one week left to try to get it done. I've called in four coyotes so far this year but got busted by them and haven't seen hide nor hair of a cat.  

I'm looking for any suggestions albeit calling tips, lures/bait, or other tactics.

Thanks,

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bobcat hunting suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Bob takes a little longer to come in and he will be sneakin when he does.Run wile-e off and wait for bob,Jesse.
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
Couldn't tell you, illegal to hunt here. Only seen two in my time.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
No hands on experience only hear say from old trappers, but cats are very visual, and they say it doesn't take much..
Even a feather on a string blowing in the breeze can be an attractant.. Something in front of your set within shot distance might work to keep his attention.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
Bob takes a little longer to come in and he will be sneaking when he does
What he said. They are slow and deliberate once they get close to the origin of the sound. They come sneaking in hiding behind available cover. You really have to watch carefully for them.
And yes get something to keep the attention off you.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
you might laugh; but take a frying pan and some chicken and a some vegetable oil. Let it fry while your occasionally calling. Works for cougars!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Stay at your call stand for a good hour. Call more often than you would for coyotes. Use the feather or chicken wing hanging and blowing in the breeze method. Cats can be tough to see, use your binos alot. Good luck to ya!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
open up a can of sardines drain the oil around leave the can settin  make sure  just plain oil   hide good call and wait at least a hr and a half be a good idea put a feather or somthing else out for a attrractent    sardine smell like a hot female   brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
get a female cat in heat, put her in a cage, tie a string to her leg, pull it once in a while to make her yeowl...   :biglaugh:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Hunt where they are. Creek bottoms, plenty of cottontails, quail etc, good cover. Concentrate on early mornings or late afternoon just before  sunset. Play the wind and be still. In Texas you will often times find them around feeders that are close to their preferred bedding sites. They seem to know that the feeder is a good source of food(birds, quail, rabbits etc.) Good luck and "Keep'um Sharp".

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
you might laugh; but take a frying pan and some chicken and a some vegetable oil. Let it fry while your occasionally calling. Works for cougars!
You’re right, this made me laugh.  :biglaugh:  

Chris,

I’m sure one of the keys for you to have a successful hunt will be to stay out past noon on Sunday. If nothing else it will be a good time to fry some chicken, but we should probably drive separate because I don’t want to be with you when you arrive home.   :eek:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
call less, and with less volume after your initial series of calls or switch to a squeeker.

'Cats take longer to come in, and will just appear so make sure to limit your movement while calling.

A feather or flashy ribbon tied in a tree to distract their attention from you will help.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I have had good luck with a Primos squeaker. Called in 3 one year with it and ended up getting one. All of them came in between 10 and 12.

Will have to give the feather on a string a try this year.

Chris

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
the easiest squeeker is a old plastic dog toy that squeeks, cut out the squeeker, wash it...you can put it in your mouth and blow no movement. Plus they don't freeze up.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drew:
the easiest squeeker is a old plastic dog toy that squeeks, cut out the squeeker, wash it...you can put it in your mouth and blow no movement. Plus they don't freeze up.
Good idea.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Them cats are slow and careful, Shot one last week finally saw him after 45 min. of calling I just don,t have the patience to wait for bow range so he went down by the way of "ol hvy barrel" feather on a string will work good to distract. They are real hudinies, they are just there.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
I often use a stuff Rabbit toy like you would buy for your kids from walmart.I put it where I would like the animal to stop and start calling. Cats are bad about getting about 50 yards out and then sitting down looking around for what they just heard. Last time out I had two owl's jump on my stuff rabbit it didn't taste good so they left.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Chris, the cats I've called in were near areas that had alot of thick brush, and now that I think about there was either a creek of river
nearby except on one of them.  Not disagreeing with them coming in slow, but all again except one came in really quick.   The one that came in slow and and not near water came in at ten yard increments and sit and look around til I would lip squeek then he'd move another ten yards.

Hang in there it takes time and the more you can get out the better the chance you have.

Kansas is about the best place that I have had with bobcats, but their non-res. furbearer license is a killer.  I've read somewhere that Kansas has the most cats per square mile.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Squeaked one in last Saturday. Very high strung male. Launched an arrow at 15 yards and he was 5 yards away by the time the arrow got to where he was standing!!
DonD

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Have taken 4 so far, 25 yards and less. All were taken from a climber tree stand and up about 16 ft. or so. I hunt any fallen tree's that may be down. They love to check them out for rabbits. Also all were taken in the morning when they are returning to their den, never have gotten a shot off or have seen on in the afternoon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©