3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Massey arrow sealer recipe  (Read 223 times)

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
Massey arrow sealer recipe
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Hi,

I started my first wood arrows today. I'm using the Massey sealer recipe(Devcon epoxy & acetone) posted by LBR here:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044287  

This stuff is real watery mixed in these proportions and is not tacky when applied to the shaft. Is it supposed to be?

How long does this stuff take to dry?

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Massey arrow sealer recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
If there's a better way to stain/seal arrows that I intend to cap with Krylon using Walmart materials please feel free to chime in.

I'll also be using Bohnning fletch tape and Duco for fletching, so it has to be compatible here also.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
The acetone has to evaporate first then the epoxy has to cure. They should be done tomorrow.
  I don't seal arrows with Massey finish but I use it for other things.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
The Massey finish does a great job, but isn't particularly nice to work with.  I like Minwax Fast Dry Oil Base Polyurethane.  Thin it 3-4 to 1 with good mineral spirits and dip or wipe on not thinned.  Three coats is plenty.  Makes a tough and waterproof finish.  The waterbase polys work well, too and are very easy to work with, but I don't feel they are as tough as the oil base.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
When I was making cedar arrows I use water based poly, Krylon spray paint for crowns and craft paint for cresting. It all worked very well for me.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gray Fox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Pat:

What is your process for using spray paint for a crown?  It would seem that you would get uneven thin/heavy coverage.  Do you do one or multiples at a time in the same spray pattern?  How do you mask the remainder of the shafts?  Thanks, GF

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I just wrapped masking tape around the shaft below where I want the crown to go and around the nocks. Once sprayed I remove the tape. When done, I crest the transition between the crown and unpainted shaft.
   The arrows below have sprayed crowns. Sorry I don't have a better pic of the transition.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
I don't use this method on arrows as I think there is better solutions (Helmsman Spar Urethane) that are faaaar easier and more effective.

BUT, I do use it as bow finish with a slight modification.  Instead of acetone I use MEK (Methyl Ethel Keytone) which has a lower vapor pressure so you have some versus zero working time.  BTW, I spray this mixture.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I only use Massey finish on cord wrapped bow handles and a few other small projects, not on arrows. Now I use Tru-Oil on my hardwood shoot arrows. I haven't made any cedars in a few years.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Very nice self nocks Pat B. Got any tips for a beginner on those?

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
They are actually reinforced self nocks. I used rawhide splines as per Glenn St Charles in "Billets to Bows".
 I cut a slot with a bandsaw with the grain and fitted a piece of rawhide in and glued with TBIII. Then I cut another saw cut perpendicular to the first and with a thin bladed knife and sand paper I opened the nock to fit the string. I always wrap self nocks for safety, even the reinforced nocks. Better safe than sorry.
   With a little practice, self nocks and reinforced nocks can be fun to make are are as strong or stronger than the plastic nocks.
  Take some old shaft ends that you cut off other arrows and use them to practice on.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
don't use acetone with epoxy as it will evaporate too fast and leave wrinkles in the finish.  took me a while to figure this out.  use denatured alcohol with the epoxy.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©