3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dean Torges  (Read 1010 times)

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
Dean Torges
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
Does Dean ever sell any of his bows. They look like gems. Just never seen anyone shooting one, except him of course.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dean Torges
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
There was one for sale a while ago in the classifieds.

My dad picked one up for me from there also. It is a great shooting bow...smooth and shoots a nice heavy shaft with authority.

Do not think Dean sells many bows anymore.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
That bow was still there yesterday.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
I love Dean, smart, witty, humorus.  One of the leaders in wooden bow developement.  He set the standard in what a bamboo backed osage bow could and should be.  I know he still builds a few.

One time Dean wanted a black mouth cur pup from MIssissippi.  It was time for MOJam.  I went way around to Mississippi and picked the pup up to take it to MOJam and meet Dean there.  I told Dean since I had spent so much time with the pup that I should get to name it.  Yep I did.  Named her "DIXIE".  It made me laugh ever time I thought about the Yankee squirrel hunters howlering up "Dixie"!  LOL.

Dean build a fine bow.  I swap a high end Russel Fighting knife for one when we were on a pig hunt to South Texas.

Rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
I tried my best to teach Dixie to bay to the tune of _Dixie_.  While she liked the song alot and liked to howl along as accompaniment, she never got the tune on her on.  Dang I was sorry 'em yankee boyz didn't get to hunt squirrel to the wonderful song LOL  :)

rusty

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Why don't you call him and ask what it would take to get one.   www.bowyersedge.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
I really enjoyed his book, Hunting The Osage Bow", (as well as his site, for some time now) and, coincidentally, just started re-reading it this AM. I also enjoyed your Dean/Dixie story, Rusty - LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
He told me a few yrs ago he doesnt sell many but every now and then he sells a couple. They are not cheap but they are very well made..PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Oh ya, if you ever meet him dont let him use your vehicle, he has a bad track record borrowing trucks...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I met dean once. He had just released his book and was selling autographed copies at a shoot years ago. He used to write in Primitive Archer mag. I love to read his articles as he is very talented in the use of the written word and his vocabulary is endless. His bow making abilities are second to none. I have seen them and have talked to him on the phone a couple of times. I have seen his bows as well in the classifieds on Stickbow.com being sold by individuals, and they are not cheap, just as it should be. He is a true artist when it comes to his bow making talents. I know he really loves his beagles, too!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Trying to remember- what was it Dean called his bows ? Cool name as I remember.
 I've always lusted for one. Maybe if I can ever get Dean to bring me his gun parts for his flintlock something can be worked out (I'm hinting Dean :-)  )
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Firestyx!

I'd love to have one over any other bow out there, but they are NOT easy to come by!!  He's a one of a kind wonder, and a fine "dude!"

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Tim, he names his bows. Mine is Sisyphus with the inscription "To Tom Mussatto, the worst bow I ever made"

Kinda' tells ya what he thinks of me, huh?

Daryl, got something heading your way in the mail. And no, it's not a bow.   :)
Tom Mussatto

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Hey, Tom!  You've come to mind several times this fall.  Hope you are doing OK.  Sure would love the chance to get caught up around a campfire sometime.  I'll keep my eye on the mailbox.  Thanks!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Oh Yeah!! Dean is My Hero!! The Laid-Back shootin' at Squirrels....CRACKS ME UP!!
 Makes a Mean Bow when Needed, but I would bet he is a Blast to hang around with!! Got that Humor "Way-Homers"!!!!  Cause ya Dont Get The Joke Until about 1/2 way home!! I would Like to BE like Him when I grow up!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Daryl,

Trade you a Firestyx for a Choktaw     ;)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to pick up Dean's PBS St Louis 2000 Firstyx bow.  It reads:
Yew:  
cut by Chester Stevenson
stored by Gilman Keasy
liberated by Jim Fetrow

One of my prized possessions  :notworthy:  

One year at Denton Hill I started an Osage selfbow. Dean would look at it and make some drawings.  I'd scrape on it and run back to Dean to see what needed to come off next.  That went on for three days!  Best dang lessons I've ever had...even though he must have cringed every time he saw me coming  :)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Sure Keith, sure!  I imagine I'll have to throw in a kidney and my first-born, too, but....

Oh, maybe NOT!!    :saywhat:    :saywhat:    :saywhat:    :saywhat:    :saywhat:    :saywhat:    :saywhat:    

Good to see you!

Daryl
Daryl Harding

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Now there's a couple names I've wondered about for a few years.  

Dean used to come on here pretty regular but haven't seen him for quite some time.

Jim Fetrow is a yew bow GOD!  I used to love reading his posts back when the only trad site was the *********** but something happened and he quit showing up too.  I've seen old yew bows that he had "reconditioned" and they were absolutely awsome.

Sad how so many of the old timers who really "made" a site special with their knowledge just kinda fade away.  I know some were plain tired of being called outright liars by newbies who had read a couple magazine articles.  I kinda had the impression that was what happened with Jim and I was told it was also the reason Dan Quillian quit posting too.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Dean is great! Guided a short squrriel hunt for me two of my young'ns. I would love to have one of his bows!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©