3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: %100 devoted to the bow for this year.  (Read 1031 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
%100 devoted to the bow for this year.
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
as many of you know i am an avid muzzleloader fanatic. however this year on planning on carring my bow untill i kill a turkey, small game and deer and will not pick up the smokepole untill i accomplish this. its going to be a loooooong turkey season i fear!!  :banghead:    :banghead:    :pray:   not a big deal for most but a HUGE step for me!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: %100 devoted to the bow for this year.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Stick With It Ken. This past season I felt "something missing" when I carried a .243 in the woods. I've changed, my heart I mean. Maybe for the better. Think I'll do the same. Leave the pop guns and smoke poles in the house and hunt TRAD ONLY!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Best of Luck to you guys, I agree , It is a HUGE step.  :thumbsup:   I love it all to much to limit myself.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Ken, never say never, the season is a ways off. Things can can change in a heart beat.I hope you can pull it off, but are you sure you want to limit your self. You might want to keep your options open. Just a thought.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I've never gun hunted turkeys...useta use my stick for deer and dust off the wheels for birds but have lost the wheels for birds too

As for the other seasons I use both weapons when given the choice depending on my mood

good luck Ken !!
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
this year i went to only bows and bow season is open until march 1st. but in 09-10 season i want to go trad all the way.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Good for you, that's the only way!

Good luck Ken
 :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Good Luck!   :knothead:    :help:    :thumbsup:  

Raven >>>>--------->

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Well, you'll have good company. I went into the woods with my longbow for the first time last weekend. I've been a hunter for years but I tell ya, something about that stick just felt right. My focus was sharper, I took my time again, and it really changed my attitude about why I was out there in the first place. Somehow coming home empty-handed was really o.k. in a way it hasn't been for a long time.
   I think I just might be reaching for the stick instead of the rifle a whole lot more.   :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Good luck, thats a big step for anyone! We not allowed to hunt with a bow in gun season for deer! Thank god, otherwise my Flinters might no get any action!!!!!! I love makin' smoke!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Ken, three years ago I decided to hunt only with all home made equipment, most of which I made myself but some made by friends. Self bows or simple backed bows, cane or hardwood shoot arrows,  turkey or goose feathers tied on with sinew, stone or trade points hafted with pitch glue and bound with sinew. My deer killing has been unsuccessful but the experiences have been great. A few close calls and only one loosed arrow(a clean miss). I have limited myself more now to closer shots and only on unaware animals.  Sometimes I wonder if I am putting too much pressure on myself but as of now I will continue until I prove to myself it can be done.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Good for you if thats what you want, setting a goal and sticking to it    :thumbsup:

I love my longbow, I use whatever I feel like when I wake up wether that be bow, shotgun, muzzle loader, or rifle. My only goal is to have fun.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
sounds good i think i'll join ya. good thing we get two seasons for turkey,i think they will be the most challenging. i plan on using my self hickory bow i made some 10 yrs ago.never hunted with it,but shoot it a fair amount.i have taken a couple does with my recurve and hunt with a revolver during gun season,which requires all my bowhunting skills to pull off.good luck to you
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I stuck to my recurve all season. I had friends try and get me to use a gun or a compound bow but I wouldn't give in. Im glad I didn't. I got my first whitetail with my bow this season and also my second. Its a great feeling. Im commited to just my recurve. I may switch to long bow but thats it. Some advise on turkey hunting with your bow. If you nail one don't watch and wait till it quits moving. Run out there and pick it up or hold it down until it expires. I put an arrow thru my first big tom and he did a bunch flips in the air and then landed with a hard thump. I thought he was down for good. While I was patting myself on the back, the tom got up and ran off. Man, was I bumed out. I never found him.

Good luck

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Ken, I sold off all of my rifles except two .50 cal. Muzzle loaders. I don't hunt with these. There just there for shooting at targets. I have made a permanent move to traditional archery and will stick with it. I love the challenge and have yet to take anything but, will continue to practice, plan, practice, do my home work and more practice. When and if the day comes to fulfill my tag, it will just be that much more sweeter and memorable to me.

Good luck my friend!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
let me back up a bit. i will not carry smokepole UNTILL i have taken a deer, turkey and small game with longbow. if i get lucky and get a deer early i would pick up the smokepole again. i just really feel the need to prove to MYSELF that i can/will take game with longbow. it has been a long time coming but i have felt the extreme pull of just using bow for the last couple years and i want to see how it feels to just carry bow untill i meet my goal. i believe a turkey will be the biggest challange as i do not want to use a blind. don't like them, will not use them.  i lok very forward to a challanging season!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Understood My Friend! 100%! Give it all ya got during the early seasons. I get the same calling from deep within. Still dig my (other) hunting tools. Just that the call of the bow is super powerful.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
At least most of you live where you get a choice.  Here it is one weapon per a species, per a year.  That means if you hunt deer with a bow that's it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Aren't ya coming to JLMBH-09?  There's the chance to make it happen..  :thumbsup:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
yes i am, i hope to get a rabbit before then, looks like a great weekend!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©