3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: aim BIG, miss BIG!  (Read 503 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
aim BIG, miss BIG!
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Well it's been a long season without letting the string go. Trophy hunting has it's advatages and it's disadvantages. It's great when you score on that brute and you also get to see alot more bucks throughout the year. The disadvantages are that you don't get to shoot much except for practicing. Well with only a week left in the season I realized I don't have no deer meat in the freezer. My annual trip to WVa to fill the freezer didn't produce so now I'm panicking!     :scared:    
So last night I ventured out to my stand to fill the tag. With the snow on, it made for a good sit. At 4:00 PM I saw my first doe. She walked right to me. Only she came behind my treestand! I'm always glad to see my right leg get to jumping even when a doe comes in. When that stops I've lost the excitement and it's time to quit. Anyhow, she decided it was time for a rest and bedded down 25 yards to my back. The wait was on. But no, here comes another one. She walks the same trail but gets real nervous when she circles down wind from me. Even when doe hunting I wash my clothes and spray down  to help on scent control. And this time it worked! Although highstepping, she walks about 5 yards to the right side of my tree. Now being right handed this put me in a little bit of a pickle. So I waited for her to walk a little past me and then I had to make my move. At 12 yards she looked out into the field away from me so I turned to prepare to shoot. I searched for that tuff of hair or "spot" and struggled to find either. Her coat was a smooth as they come. But thinking I have found that spot I prepared for the shot. STOP!  She looks up at me and all goes to s**t. I freeze until she looks away again. When she does I pull up, draw,anchor, then release. OH NO, I forgot to pick the spot! You guessed it right, the arrow went harmlessly over her back. Rookie mistake for sure. She runs 20 yards and stops. She starts feeding again. Had my Morrison tonight and she never even heard it.Gotta love traditional equipment. Quiet as they come. Anyway, saw several more deer but no more shots presented themselves. Pretty good evening and it was fun to let the string go. Sorry to bore you all with this doe story but figured with the dog days of winter, and alot of seasons over, I'd put a smile on someones face.
I have until Saturday of next week to redeem myself. Be back in the woods on Sun. Hopefully I'll have a venison story to add to this soon. Not to mention if I don't redeem this miss, then I have to leave that cut off shirt tail on my truck antenna until next year.  :pray:   Gotta go re-sharpen that Snuffer now. See ya!

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: aim BIG, miss BIG!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Chris
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
What is the "cut off shirt tail on my truck antenna until next year" all about?  :confused:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
thats cool.. its been since october since I killed a dang deer,with 1 more month of season....   its good to hear from folks with similiar stories to mine.... enjoyed it ... thanks
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Mike, thats's a great story and it did put a   :D   on my face.

I'd bet a six pack of diet pepsi that what you did is far and away the number one reason for missing.  :p  

Is there another sport anywhere that offers plenty of excitement even when you miss?   :wavey:
Lon Scott

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Good stuff....it happens to all of us. Bet you'll get her next time!! Good Luck    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, coffee mug, and the hat more times than I can remember.  It keeps me coming back!!!! Thank you for sharing your story with this old moss back.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I often pick that very same spot! Just over the back or under the belly! Thanks for sharing!

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

.........  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Long Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Great story Mike!...Makes me wish I had a season left to hunt!

Good luck on Sunday    :bigsmyl:
Derek W.

"I never thought missing could be so much fun!"       -Me

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Great story!... Spending the night in the Tipi tonight  :scared:  Plan on spending the whole day in the woods, deer are hitting the corn fields hard with all the snow and cold temps we have had for the last few weeks.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT! Don't forget to "Pick A Spot"  :readit:    :thumbsup:  I'll try and remember to do that as well!!

Raven >>>>------->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
What is the "cut off shirt tail on my truck antenna until next year" all about?

Around these parts if you miss a deer, you have to cut off the tail of your t-shirt and hang it on your antenna. Just a fun game we have always done. This isn't my first shirt tail, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Teaches you not to wear a good t-shirt.  :thumbsup:  

Nice thing about missing, if there is any, is I get to hunt another day.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Excellent story...thanks for sharing   :thumbsup:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks Raven and good luck to you as well. Maybe we both can score before next weekend. If not, then I'll bet we'll have fun trying.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Leather

It happens brother.  Back in November, the doe I killed walked past me at about 10 feet.  As I drew, I felt weird about something and then realized that I was STARING AT THE ENTIRE DEER!!!!!  Man, I was milliseconds from letting that string go and realized I hadn't picked a spot.  I was able to gather my senses, pick a hair and then drill it, but it was close man.

If I'da missed I'da had to start a thread on here titled "Missed a doe at 10 feet".  That woulda sucked.
Otto

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Oh boy i know how it feels.  :biglaugh:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Mike,
Cool story.........been in those shoes more times than I care to count. Went out tonight myself, but stuck to the ground. No luck! didn't see anything but a fat squirrel who waddled around and I had no critter-thumper with me! Still gotta week or so---plenty of time to put soem meat in your freezer.

Good Luck!!!

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I know the feeling too well.

This is very LARGE 10 point buck that I shot(at).  I made sure I picked a spot but misjudged the distance because he was so big bodied.   :banghead:

Snuffers are deadly on Hackberry trees.

Dennis

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I was REAL good at that this year.

Darn
ChuckC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Aeronut, I bet that tree ain't going anywhere.   :biglaugh:  

It's all a part of bowhunting. Looks like that snuffer became part of thart tree permanently.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©