3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kids bows  (Read 267 times)

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
kids bows
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
What size longbows would be a good starter for an 8 and 10 year old? Both are girls.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: kids bows
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Give Mike at Maddog Archery a call. He'll talk you through the choosing and his prices/quality are excellent.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I just got my son a Dryad Phoenix youth longbow.  Wingnut and Jason build them 50 52 and 54 inches.  with every kind of bell or whistle you want.  Ordered a 35lb @ 26 inch 52 inch NTN.  Should be here in a couple weeks.

Shawn

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
I'll second that...
   :thumbsup:
OOPS,  :o  I meant to "second" the vote for Mike at Mad Dog... but I am sure that the "other" Mike's bow are great too.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Good ideas above, we found lots of great old Bears in different styles and sizes for cheap on the auction site.
Sell them on the classifieds or just auction them again on the site when the kids are ready for a new one-cost for us was zilch.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Most 8 to 10 year olds may only pull to 21" or 22" so at 25 lb @ 28" may be light enough to handle.  I have found most are more comfortable with a 20# # 28"

I really helps to had some bows to try on.  I keep a whole box of fibeglass bows of various length and draw for 'test' bows.  Then they can get an idea what they might like in a longbow or recurve.  I also use those fiberglass bows in the flu flu 'arction archery' course that I put on for Cub Scouts and youth groups.

A lot of kids learned on a cheap fiberglass and cheap arrows, but the better the gear the better the shooter will become.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©