3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: signing your selfbow  (Read 189 times)

Offline aklongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
signing your selfbow
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I apologize up front, I have tried the search engine but I guess am I am still computer illiterate.

Question what type of pen or paint is used for signing your bow.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: signing your selfbow
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
i have use auto touch up paint pens. they have a roller ball like a bic. its a lacquer paint so compatibility with some finishes might be an issue. i have also used regular black india ink.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I use a sharpie, they come in different colors if you want
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Never built a self bow but I have built many bamboo fly rods.I always signed with a fine pen and india ink, then varnish over, with great results. I know that Sharpie makes a pen with an ultra fine point that would work great. Try everything you have on scrap and go with what works best. Good Luck.
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Offline aklongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Thank you for the quick response, I am using Tru-Oil and the sharpie seems to be too light.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
I use India ink and a quill pen. I was using Sharpies but they tend to fade after a while and with Tru-Oil the tips do get gummed up. To keep the tip clean a quick spray of poly first and write over that. Another coat of Tru-Oil or 2 will complete the job.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Don't use a spray finish first coat over your writing. The propellant will cause the ink to run. I ue a bit of can finish on my fingertip to cover the ink and when that dries you can use the spray stuff.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©