3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 fletch vs. 3 fletch  (Read 518 times)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
4 fletch vs. 3 fletch
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I have always shot 3, 5" right wing shield cut feathers with a pretty hard helical in them. I have thought about trying 4 fletch for awhile now. So yesterday I fletched up a couple of arrows with 4" 4 fletch. I am really supprised at how well they fly. I was just wondering if there are any advantages to either fletch pattern? I also was wondering if the 4 fletch would be any slower?

Thanks, Bill

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 fletch vs. 3 fletch
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Bill: I've shot 3 fletch since the mid fities. About two years ago a friend of mine started to shoot four fletch and he said that it seemed to make his arrows more stable. I have a Jo Jan with a 120x60 indexer so I fletched a few up with four inch feathers and liked them so much that everything I make for my wife and myself now are that configuration. I also found that I can get two good fletches from most feathers so I now use 1/3 fewer feathers to fletch a dozen.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
I use four fletch; in addition to the extra stablization as mentioned above, I like the fact that no matter how I get the nock to the string it is ready to shoot.    

No indexing or looking for a cock feather.  This is especially handy when you have to shoot quickly for an unexpected opportunity or trying to get a nock on the string for a follow-up shot in the midst of an adrenaline dump.
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Yes, they will be a bit slower, but not enough to make a bit of difference. Arrow stability is more important anyway. I have shot just about every combination and find that there is not a great deal of difference as long as your arrows are well tuned. If you see a difference in flight, you probably need to check your tune.

Lately, I have gone back to three fletch because I see little difference in arrow flight, and I can save one feather per arrow. I also see no difference in arrow flight between cock feather in or cock feather out. I shoot cock feather in because my feathers don't wear out as fast that way. In the heat of the hunt, when the adrenaline kicks in, the deer will never know the difference.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I just like 4 fletch because it doesn't matter which way I nock my arrow.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Yeah, what they said. I doubt my hunting arrows will ever be 3-fletched again...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
As 30Coupe indicated-feather orientation makes little real difference in flight. I prefer 4 fletch for fast stabilization AND greater inflight visibility.

Offline Hamish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I run 4" 4 fletch also for the above reasons.
Ron Pittsley Predator Classic 59#@28"

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I just like it!  5" Low Profile Banna Cut!  Makes my arrows unique, where I hunt.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
I use both 3 & 4 fletch ,,   Broadheads seem to fly really well with 4 Fletch and as others say you cannot nock arrows wrong,,  :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
So are you fletching 90*X90*, or 60*X120*?  What do you find working the best for you?

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
Either way Rigs. don't see a difference.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »
I`ve just started shooting 3 4"  an i`m impressed so far. I shot 3 5.5" shealds an high bannanas for years, i didn`t like the noise from the nanners but i did like the arrow flight(before i tuned my arrows). I`ve changed my arrow set up alot ,adding a lot of point weight an bare shaft tune my set up, an now it seems i don`t need as much feathers for good flight.JAG are the low nanners  noisy??If not that may be best of both worlds. Just curious i`ve been thinking of trying the 5"-4"low nanners.
Bull

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
After decades of using a 5-1/2" helical 3-fletch for huntin' arras, I did some serious testing and found that a 4" low profile offset 4-fletch allowed for a faster arrow that was just as stable as those big ol' feathers.  

I use either 75x105 or 90x90 feather configuration, don't matter that much to me.

Other advantages are chopping or burning a pair of fletches from a single full length feather (as opposed to getting just one fletch), and you no longer need an indexed nock as there is no cock feather to be concerned about ... this is for carbon or alum shafts, where the shaft spine is consistent for 360 degrees around the shaft diameter ... one piece non-laminated woodies will probably need to be indexed since the shaft's spine is very directional.

Big 3-fletch ...

Big 3-fletch and hi-profile 4-fletch ...

My current lo-profile 4-fletch ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rigs:
So are you fletching 90*X90*, or 60*X120*?  What do you find working the best for you?

Happy hunting,
Jason
I use 90 degree, but a lot of people use 60-120 and it works well for them.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Has anyone used 4x3"? I shoot 4x4" now but was wonering if 3" would work especially with EFOC setups

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Deadbolt,

I used to shoot 4 3" feather for target, but never saw any advantage to it, so I went back to my regular flething configuration.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
I shoot 5" LW right helical shield cut and had this problem on my PSAV 51#. I added that BW brush style rest to this bow. On my new PSAX 57# no issue whatsoever. What am I doing different?Asbell shooting stance.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Deadbolt
After following the EFOC and fletching thread I experimented and cut some 5" shields down to 4" hunter fletches at 1/2" height and fletched 3 onto a CX Heritage 150 that has 275 grains up front.  I shot it outside at up to 30 yards in a heavy crosswind last weekend with a field point and a Razorcap on it and it seemed to work well with my setup, even recovered in the wind better then my original 5" shield arrow.  It seemed to hit approx. 1/2" high at 20 yards and seemed quieter to me.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
I like to shoot 4x4 but I have shot 3x4 and they are nice if your tuned up right.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©