3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wisconsin Bunny Romp - Stories & Pics!  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Wisconsin Bunny Romp - Stories & Pics!
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I thought we should start a new thread for stories and pictures from the Wisconsin Bunny Romp.  This is the first of what I sure hope will become an annual event.

A great time was had by all, and the cold weather was not a problem in the least.  In fact, maybe it actually helped a little to keep us from overheating.  Busting bunnies out of snowdrifts is hard work!  

Although we might were apparently not quite as efficient as the foxes and coyotes, the furry critters did not escape unscathed.  I've got to go work on my pictures.  Be back in a bit......
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wisconsin Bunny Romp - Stories & Pics!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Many thanks to Paul for providing the club house. Also thanks to the guides: Ohne and Joe. The food was great as well. I sure ate my share. The jalapeno venison sausage was awesome. My son and I enjoyed getting out and chatting with all the other trad guys. Hope to do this again (we did leave some seed for next year).
Thanks to all and nice talking to everyone.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm glad you guys had a great time... I think a gathering like this a month or so after deer season is a great way to visit with all your Wisconsin neighbors and break up the cabin fever... Every state should do it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Paul did a great job organizing this thing and getting it all put together.  And the door prizes were all donations from his business, Badger Arrow.  Many thanks to him for the generousity, and mostly for pulling this all together so that we could all have a good time.

My buddy Ohne Raasch was great in allowing one group to traipse around his land.  I think it was his first time actually carrying a traditional bow with the intent of doing harm to animals.  Hopefully we all showed him how much fun it can be without hurting anything!

The group at my house really got into the rabbits.  Some may call it unfair baiting practices, but hey, I put all that feed out for the birds - not the rabbits!  They just hang around the house to clean up the spilled seed.

Our group started out by sending some standers down below while some of us worked around the buildings to chase bunnies down toward the marsh.  We got some running right away, and the arrows were flying and rabbits running in all directions.  Some made it past the standers, and others doubled back toward the homestead.  

Tom Colstad of the Bowyers Journal magazine (soon to be Traditional Archers World) was there with his camera instead of his bow trying to capture the action.

The snow was deep, and those with snowshoes outpaced the rest of us who slogged through the sometimes knee deep drifts.

But jumping creeks with snowshoes can be hazardous to your health!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Dale Moore of Janesville wins the prize for most shots taken.  
Seven.
Count 'em!   :readit:  
Seven! - missed shots on bunnies in one day!  Way to go Dale!  :p  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Man...those pics get my heart pumping.... i'll be heading out in the morning for some bunny stompin!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
I'll wait for Jerry to jump in and tell the story, but not all the bunnies got away!  Just before the noon break Jerry made a great shot count.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Awesome!!!

But where's all the briars?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
There were some briars but mostly small pines and brush thickets.  Those photos are misleading,  the snow was really deep in spots, especially in the areas I was told to walk.

These bunnies are mean.  At least two of us were charged and very nearly run down by those monstrous beasts.  Why,  they are the meanest bunnies in the land.

ChuckC

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm glad that everyone had a great time.  Next year?  You bet! Not sure how to make it any better.  At least the weather held and we did not get the wind that was supposed to happen.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
These bunnies are mean.  At least two of us were charged and very nearly run down by those monstrous beasts.  Why,  they are the meanest bunnies in the land.

ChuckC
We almost lost a hunter this afternoon. I'll tell you, that white rabbit from Monty Python was tame by comparison. How Chris survived the near attack I'll never know.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Paul, Joe and Ohne my son and I would like to thank you for such great hospitality! Dominic did not want to quit chasing the rabbits! I think we created a bunny chasin' monster! He's gonna be like a puppy tonight, chasing rabbits in his sleep!   :jumper:  

I gotta admit, he did manage to get a pretty nice buck today....
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
thats awesome guys guys!! but i dont see anybody bleedin, or cut to shreds, or tangled in the thorns?????  :confused:  
hope everybody had a great time, bunny huntin's the deal!!  :campfire:    :archer:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
I don't know if anyone in Ohne's group got a picture of Dominic with his buck, but here is one of him back at the club house....

Them boys was hungry!!!! They didn't leave us a scrap!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:

Originally posted by ChuckC:

ChuckC
We almost lost a hunter this afternoon. I'll tell you, that white rabbit from Monty Python was tame by comparison. How Chris survived the near attack I'll never know. [/b]
... and you guys in the south think those pigs charge ya, this rabbit had it out for him, he had to back pedal to get away! Almost another man down!

I'll let somebody else tell ya about the STONE cold rabbits by Joe's  place, 3 shots= 1 miss and 2 broken arrows on 1 rabbit........err.......a....... what appeared to be a rabbit!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks again to everyone who worked so hard to make this hunt more than worth the long drive. I had a great time and really found it hard to get in the truck and head for home.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
good stuff fellas
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHuntingFool:
I'll let somebody else tell ya about the STONE cold rabbits by Joe's  place, 3 shots= 1 miss and 2 broken arrows on 1 rabbit........err.......a....... what appeared to be a rabbit! [/b]
Umm..... Jason.  Did you have anything to add to this post???  :readit:    :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
This was definately the coolest thing I've ever seen anyone bring home from a rabbit hunt. I'm thinking it'd look good hunt over the fireplace as-is.   ;)  

We all worked hard, but few harder than these two hunters. Mental note: I need to buy snowshoes...and borrow some of that lab's energy. Nothing reminds you how out of shape you are than trying to keep up with a hunting dog.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©