3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anybody shoot a Martin Savannah?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
anybody shoot a Martin Savannah?
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I have been compound hunting for 12 years and decided to try a longbow. I ordered a Savannah at 45lbs. Is this a good bow? I'm planning on shooting an arrow @ roughly 450 grns. I think that should be adequate for deer, huh? Can anybody suggest a book or something to help me learn how to shoot the thing?
Bret M. FullER

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: anybody shoot a Martin Savannah?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
A great little bow! I hunted with a Savannah this past season. I'd suggest Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow" in book or video.  Others might prefer G. Fred Asbell's "Instinctive Shooting, volumes I & II" in book or video.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
I think it is a great little bow,looks and shoots great.I bought one when they first came out,still have it and not planning on selling it.Both of those books are great books,but also Instintive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell,I've read them all.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the insight, I'll look around and see where I can get those books! Do you think I'll have enough kinetic energy to kill deer at 15 to 20 yds?
Bret M. FullER

Offline MikeJMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Thats funny. I just posted about my new Savannah. Its a sweet bow. Wish i had ordered a 45 or 50. Found the reviews here on Tradgang, everyone likes em.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
you might want to check out Masters of the Barebow.  just got it and watched it once.  lots of good tips.  stop by the shooters forum for lots of good advice from all of the great archers around here.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Longbow Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Great bow, you will enjoy it.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
I shot one and it seemed like a very nice a bow to me.Nice low draw weight to start should be good for learning to shoot because if you can shoot you'll be able to hit....Good luck and enjoy your journey
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Greenstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I had the opportunity to shoot one last year,nice shooting bow and good looking wood.

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
I shoot one and love it. I'm sure if you spend double the price you can get a better bow. But not much better.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
I have a 55# that I like very much. I may get one in 60# as well.
Skeater who?

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
You have more than enough bow for whitetail!
I think the kinetic energy debate was drummed up to sell new bows but that's just my opinion.
The most important things are to get a bow that you can shoot comfortably and accurately, get properly spined arrows and tune them to your bow and SHARP broadheads.
I shot my buck last year with a 48# longbow and 418gr arrows. Complete pass through at 30 yards.

I would think that some XX75 1916 shafts with 100 or 125gr points would be a start in the right direction.

Byron Ferguson's book is a good one. Master's of the Barebow video is excellent! Scott Antczak's video Dead On Traditional is also very good. They can all be purchased at 3 Rivers Archery.
I found that Asbell's book did more harm than good when starting out. There is a lot of good information in it but it did not translate well for me as a beginer.

You made an very good choice in bows. There is a lot to learn and it doesn't come as quickly as with the compound so be patient, persistant and have FUN! Ask lots of questions. There are some good people here.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I also like the video "How to Shoot Instinctively Better Than Ever - volume I". It has some really good longbow shooting tips by Ron LaClair & Denny Sturgis, Jr.

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
the savannah is a great bow and i'd rate only a couple on top in performance and shootability but that's personal and i know guys that like it better than anything else.  it's in my top 5 or so favorite bows and looks as nice as anything out.  love it, just be prepared to NOT feel the need to buy a better bow cuz i'm not sure they exist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©