3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrewed a coon!  (Read 357 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Shrewed a coon!
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
well I work until 10:30pm, so I am usually up late. I was watching bear hunting videos tonight when I got home. At 1:30am I was gonna go to bed, so I figured I'd let the dog out 1 last time. I always make sure there are no critters in the yard at night before I let him out. He'll try and kill any cats, fox or yote he smells. Anyway I walk out and hear my pidgeions(for training the dog) going nuts. I swing the surefire down to the coop and see a coon trying to get in. I grab my Shrew from above the door and the 2 arrows with it. A stinger and a field point. I run down there and the coon runs about 20' up and small tree and was getting ready to jump onto a huge Black walnut tree. I was 20yds out and came to full draw(shooting in a safe direction). I let the  stinger fly and pinned him through the chest into the tree. He struggled a moment before finally pulling the arrow from the tree and falling. he hadn't quite expired yet so I hit him with the FP between the eyes. He slumped right over at that. man is it tough holding a flashlight with your pinky and still keeping good form. I will get pics tomorrow. I am pumped, i was able to help knock down the predator population a bit and add another kill to the shrew.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrewed a coon!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
Lets see those pics!  Where do you live in Westchester, I used to hunt off of Hunterbrook Rd. and a little in Cortland manor. Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I live in Pound Ridge.

Thats a funny video! I had a pet raccoon for about 5 years. It was the best pet ever. It would come to you when you called it and was very friendly and house broken. She loved to ride around on your shoulder or sit on the dash of a car. She was always getting into trouble though.......they r super smart, curious and have thumbs.

Ilove watching them, but i also can't have them killing my birds.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Stick_N_String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:17:00 AM »
Nice!!!    :archer:
"Measurement of life should be proportioned rather to the intensity of the experience than to it's actual length"~Thomas Hardy

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Great job.  That only leaves about 10 billion left in the US.  :thumbsup:
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Nice job!!  :thumbsup:   I can't to check out the Shrews at Kalamazoo this weekend.

Bill

Offline Robert Warnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Good shooting!

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
You're going to eat it,,,,, Right ....

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
They can be tough.  I had one run off into the woods with my stinger in his shoulder during bow season.  I hated losing a nice arrow and mojoed broadhead like that.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
good going....I shot one in bc at a friends house. We were sitting there at the dining room table and he had left the light on the porch. We were waiting for the flying squirrels to come to the feeder.

One came bu tlooked very nervous. We watched him and he climbed inside the box. So that was my big chance to see one.

He talked about them slowly disappearing in numbers. I asked if he knew why...nada.

So we shut the light off accept for the motion detector. We were tipping a few whiskeys back and the light came on and there was a coon on top of he feeder.

I said to him well your feeding racoons now. Well the coon was on the branch and he opened the box and snatched the squirrel and headed up the tree.

My buddy was devistated. He loved seeing the flying squirrels (and he's a none hunter - loves fishin though).

Now the redneck came out in him. He started cussing something fierce and I told him to shoot the friggin thing. He told me he didn't have a gun (typical canadian eh!!!..tee hee). So I said I had my bow in the tent ( I was on my motorcycle)

So I went to the tent and strung her up and we waited. Took about 10 minutes and more whiskey and he comes down to the feeder.

I snuck out the back door and around the side of the house. He was shining a light from the house in his eyes and I let fly. Put the broadhead right between the lookers and straight into the tree. He was hanging there struggling, bjut to know avail. The Zwickey delta did her job.

We had to cut the arrowhead out of the cedar tree, but he was glad to do it.

This was his first experience with bow hunting and he was VERY impressed.

Great thing was the neighbours never knew...perrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.

I had a friend that is a taxidermist so I had him mounted on a cedar branch on top of a feeder...nice mount I thought..

Still brings a smile to my face when I see it when I visit...oh by the way he has a scar...

Jer Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Nice Coon & Great looking Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©