3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak Mag. Performance questions  (Read 305 times)

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiak Mag. Performance questions
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I have a Bear Kodiak mag. 60in. 50lbs at 28in.
Really it gets about 52lbs at my 31 in. draw length. the brace hight set at about 9 3/4 inch. I can only estemate arrow speed at 130fps useing target arrows at about 490gr it just doesent seem to hit as hard as it use to. I just made a new string for it, and I have to twist the heck out of it I made it a bit long I think . I guess my question is, is this normal speed and brace hight/or what do yall know about this bow any help is much apreciated. especialy if you have an extra string youd be willing to trade for

Thanks in advance,
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak Mag. Performance questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
It can't be a Kodiak Magnum if it is 60".  It can be a Kodiak Hunter though. 50# at 28 will be about 59 at 31 inches...app 3# per inch of draw.
The brace height on that bow shouldn't be more than 8 1/2"....even better 8" to 8 1/4.  And...only a cronograph will tell you what the speed is.  You need to get that bow set up properly before looking at performance statistics.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Exactly what George said....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Sorry, correction... Its a Bear Super Kodiak
I just measured the draw at my 31inches it is 53# the string is not ff or dacron. dunno what it is the lables are gone on the spooles,,, *(it just occured to me that it could be 8125 from my comound days  :(  )
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
Is it a newer model Super Kodiak?  It will be two tone with no riser overlays if it is and will have black and white overlays that are pretty hefty for non stretch strings.  There would me no reason for it to lose "punch" unless there was defect in the limbs causing it to lose poundage.  If it's a Gainesvile Super K, you can use the newer material and may want to try D97 for best overall performance.  By the way, if it is 52# at 31", then it will be 8 or 9 pounds lighter at 28"...not just 3 pounds.  It is probably mismarked if that's the case.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©