3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which single bevel broadhead?  (Read 490 times)

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
Which single bevel broadhead?
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I would like to try a single bevel broadhead this next season. I have both right and left wing jigs, so that is not a problem. I am more interested in durability,edge retention(if I am lucky enough to hit something), and being able to take an edge.Any suggestions? THANKS BOB

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which single bevel broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Sorry about the double post

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
ABos they sharpen right up.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
EL Grady, are one of the best of the best.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I have made the switch to Abowyer Bone Heads these are 135gr 1 1/4 cut which I add 75gr steel inserts for 210gr total weight. I tried them with 25gr Allum adapters for 160gr total weight also they fly great there also but I was looking for more head weight myself. So far I have killed two wild hogs with the heads no issues I had good blood trails one hog fell within sight the other made it about 60 yards. The broadheads had no major damage overall. I did notice one head had the edge marr up after hitting the shoulder bone but it sharpened right up and is good as new now. The Abowyer heads also come out of the package 98% ready to hunt very little worked needed to be hunt ready

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I like how you think!  :thumbsup:  

Edge retention is key to gaining the benefits of the single bevel.  For this you need good hard steel to hold the edge.

The Grizzly at about 52 hrc and the Tuskers spring steel both do this very well.  Good tough heads priced right.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
The Grizzly 190 like KingWB uses are on my hickory and maple shafts.  I got some single bevel Eclipse from Blake Fischer to mount on some tapered ash shafts, haven't made it a priority yet, but hear from some friends that they are fantastic....
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
I have the No Mercy Zwickey's mounted on steel 100 gr  inserts screwed into Grizzly Stick's 70 gr. brass inserts---experimenting with increasing the inserts to 125---so far looks good.  Have not shot anything yet so as to say anything about edge retention. Have some sharpened at 25 degrees, some at 30. So nice to have shafts that don't split appart at every rock and oak stump.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
The Tusker Concorde Single Bevels are a screw in 300 Grain. The 6 I have came so dull I had to use a bench grinder to break the bevel through the several mm thick gap. The steel is almost too hard to sharpen. I can't give these heads a good recommendation.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
i agree with "steel".a bowyer make a great bh.i used the 145g with 60 g steel adapters.i harvested 3 deer this yr inc a 7 pt.these are the best heads i have ever used.sharpen easy and they slice right thru.i got a small buck that i hit clean thru the neck bone.bhead was not damaged and the deer dropped in its tracks.these just came out this past season.about 36.00 for 3.still i believe they are worth the price.
see

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Pig Sticker,

Ron at KME is working on providing Tuskers and other mfg. headsto customers as right or left bevel in varying weights/models... Ron is buying them blank and doing the single bevel...and they are SHARP!

With Ron's kits, they will "touch up" well. Trick is setting the initial bevel with hard steel and that is a huge PnA! Once that initial bevel is set...they will sharpen or "re-sharpen" easily.  They just don't get that dull with that hard steel, once property beveled!

Griz and Tuskers' hard steel make initial work very difficult..but then they HOLD an edge very, very well... I can't wait to get mine!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
The Tuskers and Grizzlies absolutely take more work out of the pack than most.  Once you've got the edge though, you've got it and they take and hold a wicked edge due to the hard steel.

Once sharp they take no more effort to touch up than anything else, so it's pretty much a one time investment in each head.

That said, Tusker is working hard on improving the factory grind.  John at Tusker is not one to sit on his hands and he's got several improvements in the works.  :)
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. I will talk to KME this weekend at KZOO. BOB

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Using the disc sander in the method shown by SOS works really well at getting that initial bevel done on a Grizzly.  Just be careful not to overheat the head sanding (dipping in water periodically helps).

The 190s definitely have harder steel than any other broadhead I've used, but then they hold their edges better too.

Offline TC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Here's a dumb question ... but here goes.

Is there a different bevel bhd for right & left wing fletched arrows?
Thanks
Tony

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Use left bevel broadheads with left wing feathers and right bevels with right wings.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Abowyer makes a great head if you want a wider head than the grizzlys and clones.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I was pleased with the results from the Zwickey No Mercy's I used last year,,,bucky wasnt so happy with em  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©