3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting/Improving small hunting tracts  (Read 484 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting/Improving small hunting tracts
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Do you want property that "looks nice" or attracts deer????? (not intended sarcasticly,but as an honest question)

Actually, the "hurricane aftermath" is what makes logged off property so appealing to deer.   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Woodchucker, to be honest I want a little aesthetic value as well. I don't want a big clear cut that will be unhuntable in 5 years. There is the possibility that I may want to build a home on the property at some point as well. I just don't like the idea of skidder ruts and piles of brush pushed up all over the place.

I am hoping to be able to improve the habitat but not scar the landscape.

I am not opposed to logging, just more along the lines of what Kip has mentioned.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Anyone else? I would like to hear your experiences/suggestions.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
Not the skidder ruts but the messy tree tops, ugly branch piles and etc are quite attractive to deer.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I had my property selectively cut a few years ago.  I told the forester, who was provided free of charge by a mill company, what I wanted, which is similar to you.  I had him save as many of the oaks and beeches as possible but enough to improve the mast of those that were left and let some light in.  I had all skid rows and deck graded and seeded with a wildlife mix (mostly cool season grasses and clover).  There are some brush piles and a few hollow logs but not a completely trashed look, it's more park like and I could have taken some of the money and had it cleaned up even more but it provides shelter for wildlife.  I've seen more deer, and now bear, on the property since.  One thing I did was go look at the work the logger had done for others with similar objectives and that gave me an idea of what it would look like.  I was really pleased with the service I got from the paper mill forester.  He cruised the land, gave me an estimate, found a logger, found a buyer for the saw wood (paper mill only wanted the small stuff), wrote the contract and acted as a liason; all for free.   Just a warning though, even if you have the treetops all cleared if there's any sunlight getting to the forest floor you're going to have a thick jungle of briars and undergrowth (which is a good thing) so you'll lose that neat appearance anyway.  Have them do the logging in the winter when the bark is hard, you'll have less damage to the trees you leave behind that way and the wood price is usually higher.  Here's some shots of what my property looked like after two years.

This is the deck area where they loaded the trucks.  A good food plot area in the middle of the woods.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »

A skid row going uphill.

A brushier area leading to a ravine.  Bear hit this area hard for the berries in the summer.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
This is after five years.  Some areas got less light than others so I'd have an "open forest" look some places and briar jungle others.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Plant some thick inpenetrable stuff, make a 5-6 acre secure area for the deer, also log some off and let nature take its course! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©