3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last weekend in Ohio  (Read 483 times)

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Last weekend in Ohio
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Anybody have plans for hunting this last weekend?

I haven't hunted at all in January, but hope to get out one last time on Saturday / Sunday.  Although I haven't been hunting, I've been watching, and I'm surprised by the absence of deer I'm seeing.  We have more snow on the ground than usual in NE Ohio this year (there's about a foot on the ground here now and there's been several inches all month long).  I always thought snow would make the deer more visible, and in the past few years when there was no snow I wished for it, thinking it would help.  But no matter where I look, or when (even at night with the moon illuminating the snow like daylight), I see no deer.

So help me out on this last weekend.  Where do deer go when it gets really cold and deep snow?  I don't see them in the ag fields like usual... any thoughts where they might be?

Thanks!
BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last weekend in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
They have been eating brows and pine bark. Not going to the fields much around here. Seem to be staying in the woods eating whats left of the brows. At least thats what I have been seeing. Don't get me wrong, still seeing some in the fields but alot more in the woods. I'll be out again tonight. Good luck!

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I miss hunting at home in Ohio.
Semper Fi

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
I have been seeing alot of deer hitting corn fields around hear. Seen 18-20 deer on Monday afternoon, all looked to be doe and fawns. It was 2:30pm and they were already out in the middle of the cut corn, a few hundred yards away from the woods.

I find hunting from 9am untill 3pm to be good times to be out. The deer seem to get up and eat/drink and enjoy the sun if out. Also check out south faceing hillsides. Deer bed on the south side to soak up the heat of the sun.

Just some ideas that have worked for me in the past.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Raven >>>>-------->  :thumbsup:

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Young pines are a favorite. They'll browse the branches and dig up the goodies underneath as there is much less snow there.  Any trees that may have come down that still have leaves on them will draw them in especially with the deep snow.  Personally, I don't waste my time on ag fields this time of year.  Rarely see them out there until after dark around here.  Set up as close to bedding as you can to catch them moving in the morning and evening.  I only hunt early in the afternoon if its a warm sunny day following a hearty front.  Other than that, the first three hours of daylight and the last two are when I'm out there.  You can't get away with moving and looking around in the stand this time of year so I just hunt the high percentage hours.

I love the late season.  Once you find them, you can be in for some of the most exciting hunting of the year.  Sunday looks really good.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
Bill where you at in NE Ohio?
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Hunted last sunday in the evening, as usual running late headed to some private woods not knowing what to expect but some much needed fresh air. Ended up jumping at least eight, does and yearlings, so hope to get lucky this weekend. Late season is tough, there just hearded up. Good luck.

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I will be hitting it hard in ohio this weekend also.its going to warm up alittle on sunday.should have the deer up and moving.
robert quetot

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
We've seen them in the hardwoods and in the fields.  I have a spot for Saturday that looks decent.  It's a heavily used trail (fresh snow is your buddy) with deadfalls all around it so I ought to be able to find a downwind hiding spot one way or another.

Good luck to you this weekend.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 06:03:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  

Molson, I'm just a little east of Akron.

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
After one of the toughest seasons I have ever had, I have thrown in the towel. The deer win this year.
Next year I will seek my revenge.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
heydeerman, don't give up yet! I still have a tag to fill myself  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  Can't wait for G.O.R.H 2009, have been out a few time with Oldschool. Have seen a ton of rabbits, they just won't hold still long for a good shot. Oldschool shot one on monday walking the RR tracks.  :wavey:  

Raven >>>>-------->

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Any of you Ohio fellers sittin in a tree tomorrow morning are much stronger men than I am.
Otto

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Well,

I went out this evening. Saw 10 does about 10 miles away.

Raven,

This is the first season in 10 years I haven't killed at least 3. I did take a doe back in the first week. I had a chance at a possible B&C buck so after he got in my head I passed up on quite a few. I had my chances but blew it this year. A couple years ago I could not hunt with a busted shoulder so i was very grateful to be out there.

Now... time to get that B&C wabbit. I got a pic of one on the GORH site.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
BTW, I believe tomorrow is the last day. Better check the regs before you go out Sunday.

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Went squirrel hunting this afternoon and had a nice doe walk past me while still hunting at 8 feet. EIGHT FEET!!!........and no clue I was there. :knothead:  
Fat lady aint singing yet.

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Was in a stand last saturday am at 6.Temp was 9 degrees.I sat there for 3 hours.Nothing but squirrels moving around.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
2 Degrees this morning at my house.  What did you boys see while I was laying under 6 blankets in bed????
Otto

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I was dreaming of a pig in texas that has my tag on it.  :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron