3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PBS Youth Hunt: August 2009 in Glorious Utah  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
PBS Youth Hunt: August 2009 in Glorious Utah
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
The PBS, in its commitment to the future of bowhunting, is proud to sponsor The 2009 Doug Kerr Memorial Youth Leadership Hunt/Camp.

Simply put, the Youth Hunt's mission is to develop young bowhunters into the next generation of bowhunter leadership.

With youth leadership being an essential focus of the Youth Hunt, these young hunters will also be taught, a in well crafted, and hands on manner, woodsmanship, and hunting skills. They will be exposed to, and will be involved in, philosophical campfire discussions surrounding the motives, and ethics of why we take to the hunt.

Beyond the wonderful pedagogy that the young hunters will be offered, they will also have the opportunity to hunt spike and cow elk in Utah.

Applications for this wonderful program can be found on the PBS website (following), or can be obtained from the PBS office.

Please take advantage of this opportunity.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me:
Jarrod Feiner
[email protected]

www.bowsite2.com/pbs/pdf/youthhunt.pdf
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: PBS Youth Hunt: August 2009 in Glorious Utah
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
This is a tremendous opportunity for a young person!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Guys & Gals / Fellow PBS members,

This bowhunt will be something special,and is open to Children of PBS members and YPBS members.
A parents or guardian will occompany the youth on this hunt.

The opportunity to hunt elk is truely secondary to the developement of the youth as leaders in the community and the bowhunting world. (This hunt is for leadership development and training to help them become articulate in this pursuit that we love, that they may help to maintain & forward bowhunting into the future.)

Our goal is to help the youth have a snap shot of and to understand:
1)Safety while bowhunting
2)Wildlife and the struggles it faces.
3)Our job as stewards and conservationists in the west. (Including private and public land.)The current system, and possible future scenarios. They will learn from Biologists, Ranchers,  and Leaders in conservation.
4)Pittman - Robertson
5)Law enforcement - Conservation officers
6)Basic Survival
7)Orienteering
8)Tracking
9)Game care
10)Many others

The mentors in camp have over 300 yrs of combined elk hunting experience. Having said that it ain't gonna be shooting carp in a barrell. This is hunting. (Utah has an elk harvest rate on the bowhunt of well under 20%).

Don't worry it won't be all work an no play. We have some real fun planned as well.  :thumbsup:  

ALL APPLICATIONS NEED TO BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 26TH AT THE PBS HOME OFFICE

FYI : (There was a great article on this hunt in the 2nd quarter of your PBS magazine.)

PM me if you have any questions
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Absolutely phenomenal opportunity at that.  I was a mentor on one of these hunts in the past, circa 1999.  I wish I would have had this kind of opportunity as a youngster!

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
ttt
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I sent in my son's application and we hope to be Utah bound in August!  I've heard some great things about the previous PBS youth hunts.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
My older son was on the last one and it was an amazing experience. I don't know who got more out of it, my son or me! I learned tons from Larry & Blake Fischer, Dick, Vicki & Yote Robertson, Billy Lewis, Bo Slaughter, Doug Campbell, Kevin Bahr, Mark Baker, Joseph Meyer, etc... It was the who's who of bowhunting. Still debating on whether to submit my 15 year old daughter's and 16 year old son's application to be considered. I'd just hate to have them take a spot away from some kid that doesn't have the opportunities they have? Although, I'd also hate for them to miss an opportunity to hunt with and learn from the likes of Guy Perkins, Jeff & Daniel Holchin, Jarrod Feiner, Blake Fischer, Rich Roskelly, etc.

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
Yes, it's an incredible opportunity. The fellas that have organized this hunt are first-rate people, hunters, and great company too.

This hunt will be the superlative hunting experience for a young hunter.

Thanks to those who have spoken to their experience with this hunt.    :thumbsup:

Keep the questions coming. And, please bombard the PBS office with application requests....
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Terry, thanks for including me in your list of "who's who" of bowhunting.  But I think I would fit better on the list of "who's that?" of bowhunting.  
Seriously, this is an incredible opportunity for the qualifying youth applicants and will be a tremendous bonding experience between the youths and their mentors.  I know from experience that lifelong memories and friendships will be formed. Someone might even actually kill an elk, too!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
ttt
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
This is an excellent thing.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
ttt
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
One of the great things about this particular hunt is the timing.  This hunt occurs the week before school starts for my son.  Last year he had to miss over a week for our western hunt, which caused problems at school.

Offline David in Hickory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
ttt
"When we can no longer draw bows, when sinew has shrunk and bone gone brittle, we will hunt in our dreams because hunting, is part of our souls..."-Primal Dreams

Offline David in Hickory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
ttt
"When we can no longer draw bows, when sinew has shrunk and bone gone brittle, we will hunt in our dreams because hunting, is part of our souls..."-Primal Dreams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
ttt
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Offline David in Hickory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
This will be a great hunt!  Great country to introduce people to western hunting.  A good mix of moderate to challenging terrain, plus hunting with guys who know it well.  

Nathan

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
bump
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
ttt, Nate thanks for the help this weekend!
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©