3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: airline travel with bow and arrows?  (Read 274 times)

Offline sjwowtrad

• Trad Bowhunter
airline travel with bow and arrows?
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I am planning on flying from NH to MI, and was wondering the easiest way to get my bow there? i usually mail it, but this one is a new bow and i want to practice up until i leave, so how much of a hassle is checkin it in at the airport? and what kind of case do you guys usually use?  its a horse bow, not a take down,  thank for any help

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: airline travel with bow and arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
I bought a nice solid aluminum rifle case that holds a pair of take down bows and attached an arrow box to the outside for travel to FL last spring.  Has dual locks. I cut the foam inserts to hold the bows and had space to keep glove, arm guards and accessories. No problems--just checked with luggage.

You might see if you can find one that fits your horse bow.

Depending upon airline, plane and your bow, you might be able to carry it on with no string. TSE is erratic about that sort of thing, but without arrows or string...it is just a stick. Can you fit arrows in your suitcase?

We had no problems shipping our bows. Flew AirTran and it counted as part of our two bag limit. Some airlines will charge for extra baggage.

When and where are you coming to MI?
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline sjwowtrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
southern near jackson, on valentines weekend.....

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
I went to Gander Mountain and I was looking at all of the expensive cases and wondering what else. Well after wandering around the store awhile I ended in the fishing area and the rod cases fix my recurve just beautifully.  http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402870&pdesc=Flambeau_Products_Bazuka_Rod_Tube&cname=Fishing-Rod-Storage&aID=504A9C&merchID=4006&r=viewThe  case was airline approved and I figured that fishing rods had to be at least as breakable as a bow, if not more so. I have traveled with the bow in the case two years now, and never had a problem.

Check in was easy, just told the lady at the counter it was a bow and I had locked it myself. She asked me to weight there till it was past the x-ray machine incase they needed to open, which either time they did not.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Buy the one piece recurve case by Viking Voyager. (contact Mike at the Nocking Point, he stocks this case and has the best prices) esp if you don't want any "advertising" on your bowcase... Great quality case to fly with.

I've flown a bunch with this case with never any issues. The airlines consider this "sporting equipment" without any additional fees. Most employees at the airlines think they are fishing pole cases.

Be ready to find the "oversized" area for luggage when you land. My bows are usually hand carried to this area from the plane.

Jds III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I don't know about carry on, but I did get pulled aside for a physical inspection after the xray screening.  No big problem, just a minor delay and it went into the regular baggage from there.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline sjwowtrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
what are the sizes of the viking voyager?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
3 sizes.. One pc. recurve, longbow and then the takedown recurve case.. All hold two bows. I know the one pc. recurve case will hold a 62" bow max.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
My ACS goes in it's bow sock and then into a 4" PVC tube I made up. Arrows have there own tube and it all fits in my large duffle bag with the rest of my stuff. Spent less then $10.00 on the two and they work great.
lll

Offline Cinghiale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I flew last fall from Italy to Wilmington NC and I have had no problem with security and custom or boarder patrol.
Just put your trad stuff in a safe conainer ( I used a hard plastic bow case ) Don't close with lock because the patrol can broken it to check the case. If you want use a tested TSA lock or nothing.
Don't try to bring on board with you, because cab risk to leave on the ground or loose the flight.

In memory of my old hunting partner Silberio : VIVA MARIA !

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Look at Three Rivers:
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Cases+Bow++DLX+Longbow+Travel+Case_c43_s193_p0_i5125_product.html

I have the recurve version.  Works very well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©