3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's Create a Legacy  (Read 364 times)

Offline Flashman

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's Create a Legacy
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Admittedly, I am kind of a library nut; probably because I am even nuttier about books.  The one thing I have noticed however is the lack of books and periodicals in most libraries about the things we love:  traditional and primitive archery and hunting with a stickbow.  This is a shame because libraries contain a significant part of our legacy as a society and are a permanent (as much as anything) repository of collective knowledge.  I am concerned about this because as we all know there are few books written about traditional archery, making primitive bows, hunting with a traditional bow in a fair chance manner, and the numbers printed are relatively are few.  It is you and I who buy these books (gladly) but where will they end up when we are gone.  And these books often go out of print and can't be obtained.  I am not real confident my kids will be interested in my small library and they certainly don't share my passion for traditional archery and hunting.

Here is my suggestion.  Most libraries solicit purchase suggestions from their local patrons.  Start making some purchase suggestions.  First see what you library has and doesn't and then decide.  I recommend you start with books that are standards of traditional archery starting with Saxton Pope, how to guides such as those by TJ Conrads, Fadala, Sorrels, perhaps the Traditional Bowyers Bible vols 1 to 4, etc.  Since I have been involved with libraries I think slow and few at first is best.  Perhaps you should wait two months before your next suggestion.  If after two or three suggestions without a purchase or comment should result in a phone call or visit asking why not.  Librarians as a group tend to be liberal but in the good ACLU sense of freedom of speech--all viewpoints have a right to be expressed.  They may be anti-hunter or anti-gun but they will usually error on the side of access and knowledge.

Lastly, I think every library of any size should subscribe to Traditional Bowhunter.  It exhibits the ethics of fair chase more than any other publication I know of (of any kind) and is something we can be proud to be the representative of our ethic and interests.  It will be the thing that will grab library patron's attention by its cover alone.  It did for me in a little dingy library almost 20 years ago.

Just think if everyone suggested just one book to their library what an impact that would be!

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's Create a Legacy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
Good idea.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Flashman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Maybe other than for the interests of the future, how about right now.  The economy stinks and I think this industry is hurting and has probably been hurting for awhile.  Let's recommend at least one in print book for purchase at our local library and one magazine subscription like TBH or Primitive Archer.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
The unfortunate thing about libraries is that they are not so much repositories of collective knowledge as they are collections of popular culture.

They keep records of the popularity of materials, and those which are not accessed often will find themselves in the sale rack once a year. Not being possessed of limitless space, this is a pragmatic solution to making room for new entries. It is the way of the world, that some must leave this plane to make space for those that will arrive. It is the curse of not being mainstream that we are the ones most likely to be "weeded out".

Killdeer~wet blanket a-go-go   :(
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
From the half-full perspective, it may be a way to get some great books at bargain prices!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Hi All,

I teach at a AAA high school....1400+ students, and as an occasional part of my classroom activities, I ask what my students are reading for pleasure.  Seldom do I have anyone who is reading anything that's not required for a class.  Of the seventy eight students I have for this semester, only two read outside of the demands of the curriculum.  More and more often, research is done on the Internet, and not in our libraries, and as a result, the library in my high school has a derth of books.  

However, I'm sure that an anonymous gift subscription to TBH or PA would get some use.  Good idea!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
thats what I was thinkin. Get em a subscription or GIVE them the books you mentioned.

Offline Flashman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Local libraries serve their customers--their patrons and taxpayers who often like to read bestsellers and trash.  Fine but they also contain a lot of other materials.  When I move into a new community, I check the collection for what it doesn't have and shame them into getting some of the missing classics (I am talking about literature, biography and history in this context).

However, we are also patrons and taxpayers.  Believe me, as a group they are sensitive to community wants.  Quiet firm persistence usually pays off.

My library is located in a rather liberal college town.  It has an excellent collection of hunting, archery and fly fishing materials however it is older and had few recent additions.  That has changed but it has been a slow process.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©