3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting with longbow  (Read 350 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting with longbow
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I love to hunt turkey with abow but don't seem to have a lot of luck . Great eyes I hunt out of a blind .We have lots of birds where I live. Any tricks will help
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting with longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I have hunted turkeys for several years from my Double Bull blind.  I use 3 decoys ( 2 hens and 1 jake).  Position them from 4-15 yds in from of your blind.  When the mating season is really hot, I mount the jake on top of one hen.  That really gets the Tom's upset.  I have had them come in and knock down the jake decoy.  I use severl different calls ( slates, box, diaphrams).  Most of my shots are within 6-7 yds.  Keep trying it is really fun.

Offline huntswithwidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Make sure you position the decoys to the left or right of the Blind depending on the way they are facing, to get the tom to pass directly in front of the blind. Also, don't worry about the decoys being too close to the blind it may help if the toms get hung up. For instance you have the decoys 15 yards and the toms hang up 25 yards away and now you can't make the 40 yard shot. Decoys at 5 yards and the toms hang up at 25 yards, now you have a 30 yard shot.

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I agree with the above and will add a couple of things...

1.  Try to "roost" birds the night before.  Watch them in the evening roost in the tree.  The next morning SNEEK in there before first light and set up in the most logical spot for them to fly down.

2.  Like posted above, place the decoy 5-8 yards from the blind.

3.  Position the decoy facing the blind.  The thinking here is that the Tom will be trying to get the hens attention and will walk right in front of it so "she" can see him.

4.  If you are going to hunt out of a blind, make sure you practice shooting out of it and then practice some more.  Practice shooting sitting down too.

5.  Don't call too much.  A few now and then to let the birds know you are in the area is all it takes.

6.  Be patient and have fun.  Turkey hunting is my favorite way to welcome spring.  You get to sit and watch the sun come up.  The weather is usually starting to get nice, the grass is greening up, the birds are singing.

Ahhhh heaven...

Good luck and let us know how it went.
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©