3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mineral Licks  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Mineral Licks
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
What's the best way to start them? Powder/liquid?

Anyone tried one of those "Trophy Rocks"?

I'm looking to start a couple in some areas I hunt just to monitor(with trail cams) the bucks in the area thru the summer.....

Any thoughts?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mineral Licks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
I get the brown mineral blocks, take them in and dig a shallow hole in the ground, put the block in and use a sledge to bust it up into smaller pieces.  The deer tend to enjoy the smaller pieces more for some reason.  I dont use the white salt blocks for some reason I just dont like to tote them into the woods.  Here are a few pics of bucks I got on my lick the first week I had it in the ground this summer.  

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
I have used the Blue salt block--The Trophy Rock--and good old water softener salt in bags.They all work.The trophy rock and the Blue block I just leave sitting on the ground.The water softener salt I dig a hole about 1/2 bag deep and let nature take it course.The cheapest up here in my area is Blue block or watersoftener stuff.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Curt, I would recommend going by a Farm & Ranch store (do you have those in NY?  :bigsmyl: ) and buying a sack of powdered livestock mineral .  I don't think it's worth paying for the "Deer" supplements.  Dig up an area of ground, mix the mineral in, and pour water over the entirety to get the minerals down in to the soil.  In my experience, animals like the mineral IN the soil much better....

good luck  :thumbsup:  

Kevin
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
I just put a combo salt/mineral block on the ground and let mother nature do the rest Curt. By the end of the summer there was a hole a foot deep and three foot wide. It's been five years now and it's much bigger.

I usally just use one all year long even after it melts into the ground the keep digging and licking it. It works great but I'm up for any sggestion also  :thumbsup:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Get a bag of dicalcium phosphate and a bag trace minerals mix one part calcium to 3 parts trace minerals.That way you're putting 25% calcium into your licks.I beleive w/ those blocks you get 16% and we all know about calcium and bone.I also throw one of those apple blocks to get them started.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Curt: About two years ago i got a couple of bags of the stuff Wal Mart sells because it was so cheap (end of season sale) that I thought it would be fun playing with it. I made two licks about 100 yards apart mixing the stuff in water in a 5 gallon bucket. I cleared the two areas clear of leaves and just poured it on the ground. I did it in the Fall and got no action but for a few tracks in them now and again. I pretty much forgot about them until I went back the following summer to set up my stands. In both places there was a hole about 6 inches deep and two feet wide where the deer just licked a hole in the ground. One of them is so deep now that I had to clear another path around it because it is so deep you could twist an ankle if you walked into it unknowingly. It seems to me that the deer prefer them in Spring and Summer. I have had no luck at these sites in the Fall. I made another one last Fall in early Sept. but it never got hit very hard until the following Spring.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Although I haven't tried it, a bud of mine told me his father back in the day would fill a burlap bag with rock salt and hang it from a high branch and let the rain do it's thing to the salt.

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Here is what I have been using for the last four years. The deer use the mineral lick a lot in the spring and summer and then their activity tapers off in the fall. In the winter they hardly spend any time at the licks.

This recipe is inexpensive and effective. Pour some corn over the lick in the spring to show the deer where it is. These licks are a great place for a game camera.

HOMEMADE DEER MINERAL RECIPE
by Allen “horntagger” Morris

This was passed to me from a private land conservationist from Missouri Department of Conservation in the county I have land in. This is just one example of how working with any game and fish department can benefit you. So now I am passing it along to you. You will be amazed on how well this works.
The ultimate goal of mineral supplements in deer management is to increase antler size and improve overall health of deer herds by providing minerals or trace minerals that may be lacking in a given area.

Although the jury is still out on effects of mineral supplements on wild deer populations since most studies have been on pen raised deer. Studies on wild population have been inconclusive and to a degree the same on pen raised deer due to other variables such as supplemental feeding that takes place in these areas. The direct benefits will probably be far greater in certain regions that lack certain trace minerals in the soil and plants.

One mixture or home recipe of deer minerals we recommend to landowners is a mix of one part Dicalcium Phosphate, 2 parts trace mineral salt (loose), and 1 part loose stock salt. All of these are available to purchase at most local feed and farm supply stores.

Just to give you a little background on these minerals and what they are designed to do lets start with the Dicalcium Phosphate

Dicalcium phosphate is used primarily as dairy cattle feed additive and other animal feeds. It promotes feed digestion, weight gain, and milk production, which is obviously beneficial to a lactating doe deer. Dicalcium phosphate contains roughly between 18 and 21 percent phosphorus and 19 to 23 percent calcium.

You're probably asking why this is important by now. Well if your talking about growing antlers on deer you need to take a look at what is the make up of a deer antler.

Hardened antlers contain 40 to 50 percent organic matter from mostly proteins while the most abundant minerals consist of calcium and phosphorus. The demands for these minerals on a daily basis can be significant for antler production.

In addition, a lactating doe's milk contains high percentages of both calcium and phosphorus to pass on to their young, also causing a significant mineral drain on the doe. What makes all this significant is the fact that phosphorous cannot be synthesized by the body so it must be provided in needed levels in the animals diet. This is where a mineral mix such as this could be very valuable if an area is lacking in these naturally.

Trace mineral salts do two things for deer. The first and foremost is it does have the salt/sodium to attract the deer and promote the use of the mineral. Secondly, it provides the trace minerals such as magnesium and potassium that are very important to herd health but are not found in significant quantities like others.

Stock salt is again like part of the above. It has the sodium to attract deer to the minerals. Most mineral mixes have salt as their most abundant ingredient since a mix of just phosphorus, calcium, and other trace minerals have little attraction to deer once mixed with the soil.

As for directions of use we suggest using a 3-pound coffee can to measure out 1 part dicalcium phoshate, 2 parts trace mineral salt, and 1 part stock salt. Mix all these together once ready to use but keep components separate during storage. Dig a hole in the soil about 36 inches wide and 6 inches deep and mix the mineral well with the soil.

This should be replenished after 6 months and then once a year thereafter. Most use seems to be during the spring and summer months on mineral licks. It's a good idea to keep these areas replenished and stocked in the same spot to maintain use.

Because of shedding of the summer coat begins this time of year, the deer need the salt, and maybe next year you will get this out early in the year to help with antler growth and fawn health.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Curt,

Licks are considered feeding and are illegal in NY.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
If you do like Fatman says and put the mineral salt in red clay soil the deer will use it for years.They eat the clay and will dig a huge hole in a few years.If you have sandy or loose type soil they will not use it for as long.In that type land find a downed log that is rotting in the area and chop a trench down the top and pour in the mineral salt.After a few rains the deer will tear up and eat the rotten wood just like they do the clay soil.Around here they only use the salt in hot weather.Never seen a deer use it at all after the begining of September or start back before May.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Blocks do not fair to well in Okeechobee.  Bears has a tendency of removing them.  Either that or Marty moved mine and told me it was bears.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Exactly what No-sage said. A no-no in NEW YORK.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Well there goes that idea......
at least I learned a few things today....

We can keep the thread going for other states that aren't so backward.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Tom (Gatekeeper) Thanks for all the info. It's always interesting to hear about other thing's on this site. It's not always about bows, and arrows, and hunting. Thanks again.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Hmmm, Sounds interesting but I wonder if the hogs would just take the spot over?
DonD

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Guru,

I sat next to the guy that own's Trophy Rocks on the plane coming home from Alberta this past May. His pics proved the point for me. He told me that the trophy rocks are mined "sea salt".

I was stunned at the deer in his pics over these licks. They put them on the ground, in stumps ect.. with good results.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I use livestock minerals in the 50#bag($12)...Raked into the soil, near a water source if possible. Somebody gave me one of those Trophy rocks and it worked really well, too.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Here's the mix I've been using for 3 years now. Typically I will back my tractor with a 5' tiller on the back up to the lick spot, till for about 4-5', drop a 5gal bucket of the mix on top and rake it in. I do that about 3-4 times a year on 3 different spots here on the farm. I find late winter, spring (3rd trimester for the does) to be the peak usage times. If your local deer aren't used to minerals being out it might take them a while to get used to it. Most mixes have too much salt in them and while deer like salt that alone will not benefit them like the dia cal and ag lime will. The last time I bought what's shown below the total was under $25 and that will last most of a year if not longer.

50lb of red trace minerals(has salt in it)
50lb of dicalcium phosphate
25lb of ag lime

Mix and apply
A lot less salt and more mineral characteristics found in antlers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Curt,

Check your game laws. If it says no baiting then i think you will be OK to do this in the summer. But if it says no feeding then I think your sunk. Several states have laws on the books that state no baiting while hunting. Summer salt licks I wouldn't think would be considered baiting. But who the heck am I. maybe call the gamewarden and find out. I wouldn't give up just yet. My 2 cents anyhow.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©