3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow finish  (Read 481 times)

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
bow finish
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Hey all. I'm a member but have used the info from this site for a while. I have a question for you guys. I've got a longbow that has some kind of clear coat that's coming off. Its like polyurethane or something similar. I con scape it off with my finger nail. The finish under neath nooks great. I first thought the glass was cracking. It is just the finish. My question is will it hurt the tips if I go ahead and take the finish off up to the tips.

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow finish
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
No.  Just make sure you repace it with another finish.  Try poly and if it acts funny take it off and try something else.  Some finishes will react badly with others.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I think the way I would look at this,if you can scrape the finish off with a finger nail ,it's not much of a finish and you got nothing to loose by taking it off,it may have been put on to cover surface scratches,if the the glass is cracked a polyurethane is not going to do much to help that other than looks,it won't hurt the tips and if you do need to refinsh it,Thunderbird is not a bad  finish.
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
The glass is not cracked. The finish is just coming off. Thanks for the reply's. Would I have to put another finish on.

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
yes
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
you my want to go to 7 lakes longbow web site and gain some more knowledge on how to accomplish, Thanks Jerry.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
yes you will for sure want to replace the finish with another type or maybe the same ? Yes bows should have some type finish to prevent moisture from spilting the wood or even a worse case delaminating your bow from water getting into the glue lines.
Its more likely that is gun stock finish on your bow if its chipping off that easy.Also sounds like it may have been only 1-2 coats and it should be 4-6 with gun stock finishes.You also have to make sure the wood and fiberglass are both clean and free of dust or most finishes will not stick.The drying temp is importent also it should be 60 degree's at least to prevent moisture problems...bd

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I found this to happen when the bow was sealed with SA glue then sprayed with fullerplast which is not compatible for good adhesion.Sand lightly with 220grt and use a poly base material.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Yes you are correct about finishes not likeing to stick any type CA or super glues...bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©