3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String tracker  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
String tracker
« on: January 03, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
I am trying to get my brother-in-law into traditional archery. He currently hunts with a compound with all the bells and whistles. He says he wouldn't mind giving it a try but wants to still use a string tracker. I have also used them with limited success on a compound but never with a trad set up. So my question is ...

Have any of you had any experiance, good or bad, with one on your bow?
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String tracker
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
funny thing... string tracker is my handle. I didnt know till after Killdeer named me that its an actual thing.  Ive heard of using a 20inch piece of bright string attached with dab of glue to the tail of the shaft.  personally i never used one.  spent many hours tracking mine and especially others arrows

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
I've have one and like it.  I don't use it too often.  I would only use one with heavy arrows though.  I think it might affect arrow flight with light arrows, but I haven't had that problem.  It's really good for turkey hunting if the bird takes flight.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Guru has a good story about these.

Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
I've shot with these (never at an animal) but testing my new one.  Bought it for turkey hunting, and saw no arrow flight problems out of a 45@28 Kodiak Mag using goldtips weighing approx 475gr.  Shooting distance was between 15-20yards.  I think the max recommend yardage is between 20-25 yards.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
It should be illegal to hunt turkeys without one.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
How do they mount on a trad bow? On the compound they mounted on the back side of the sight bracket and above the arrow. Or it fit in the stabilizer mount. So where would he put it on a trad bow with no holes?
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
It is best to mount them to a bow mounted quiver. Killy is right Curt(Guru) is the man. I have one and only use it for turkeys. I bought a boa quiver in their plastic design and drill a hole and mounted it to the quiver. Ya than take the string and attach it by wrapping it around the thread of your broadhead and screw in your broadhead. With the string attched above the arrow it effects flight way less than in a stabilizer insert. My set-up is good out to 20 yards or so before it effects flight. I would not use it for deer hunting or anything else but turkeys. Shawn
Shawn

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Great Northern makes a neat little "Gadget adapter" that fastens to your bow with the same rubber strap their quiver uses. You screw the tracker unit into it just like a stabilizer hole. You could mount it either above or below the arrow.  A buddy used a string tracker gator hunting last year in Florida and the guide really recommends them for that.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©