3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What length longbow?  (Read 326 times)

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
What length longbow?
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
When I finally get the cash in hand to get my choice of LB I can get it anywhere from 62" to 68". Yes, I know the shorter one would be more maneuverable in tight quarters/brush, so that point is understood. With a longer bow I also realize there is less finger pinch at draw. For my draw length (29)the one I'm looking at has these choices: 62" - 26"-29",
64" - 27"-30", 66" - 27"-31", 68" - 27"-33".
I am considering either the 64" or the 66". Have a 64" Southern Draw now, so I have a feel for that length of a bow, and I can imagine the additional 2" of a 66". And thanks to my meeting Curtis and his friends I had a chance to shoot a 62".
What I am curious about is there any advantage of a longer limbed bow in relation to power/speed/stacking/comfort, or any other factor, to consider when I finally can get it.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What length longbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »
If you are talking straight limbed and/or backset Hill type LB, you'd be looking at a cookie cutter standard of 68" or 70" if you pull it 29". I draw 27", so for me it is 66" and 68" as a standard. The longer length to give me a bit more stability and the shorter length to give me a bit more speed. When you look at a R/D LB, same thing applies but the R/D limb design enables you to get away with shorter limbs. The shorter 62" will give you a bit more speed while the 64" will give you a bit more stability. Different bow designs will may have different length recommendations per the bowyer.

For me, I prefer the shorter 66" length in a straight longbow for hunting. I find this combination smoother and more stable than a shorter length R/D style longbow. But that is my preference and yours may differ. You need to shoot the different bows to find what suits you best. If I were drawing a Hill bow 29inches, I'd probably be shooting a 68" instead of a 66".

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
DB,
thanks for the input. Am kinda leaning towards the 66", being vertically challenged a 66" is almost as tall as I am. Haven't had a chance to shoot my Southern Draw 64" much yet, we're buried under that ice storm that hit this last week, only had a chance to shoot about 5 arrows out of it, but I liked the way it shot. I was thinking that slightly longer limbs, at my draw, might have a smoother feel to it. Not that the SD felt rough, just thought along that line.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »
Dan, for what it's worth, my Griffin you were shooting is a 64" bow...  Another thing to consider is that a particular bowyer's limb design will determine whether or not a longer limb is noticeably slower.  Most of the t/d bows I've shot haven't shown a lot of difference between say 60" to 64" models.

I don't have any experience with the GP's you were considering before, but I would think 64" would be plenty for a 29" draw, with a mild to moderate r/d limb design.

Having said that, I'm shallow enough that the "cool" factor is still a consideration when I'm looking at bows, and I think "long" bows are kinda cool...

:biglaugh:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
I just picked up a 70" D style long bow. I find I am more accurate with the longer bow. Seems to give me better stability and it is just a nicer draw.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Curtis,
who's bow was the Striker? I think I read on the limb it was 62". That was the one I was referring to as the 62"er. Wasn't sure, until now, what the length of your Griffin was. What was the weight of your?

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
The Striker belonged to Eric. The guy whose yard we were shooting in.  I think it is a 62" bow.  My Griffin is 52@28, so about 55@29.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©