3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pronghorn hunting tactics  (Read 497 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Pronghorn hunting tactics
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me the best tactic to hunt Pronghorn with trad equipment. I have a ground blind, but I hear they get skiddish around these blinds. What has been successful tactics for you Trad Gangers?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pronghorn hunting tactics
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I've killed antelope by every imaginable method.... a guy should stay flexible with his tactics.

By far the most dependable is a good pop up blind by a water source. Second to that would be a good ghillie suit by a water source.

Antelope get use to a pop up blind quite quickly, but will always be a little jumpy when at water.

I've taken many by stalking, but the frustration factor is very high while success rates are very low.

Ambush near crossings and other areas of habitual use is also an option, but requires some study.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
If you have a couple of days to get a blind established on a waterhole, goats get used to them, but as Charlie says, they are pretty skittish around water. Stalking is the most fun, but can be very frustrating. I know some guys who use decoys, and during the rut, bucks become very aggressive and will come to kick that decoy's butt; you had better be fast with your shot once the goats figure out that the decoy isn't a real antelope. I have dug a blind/pit at waterholes and used them to take antelope; beware of little green prairie rattlers who might take up residence.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I like to find a water source (pond or stream). Or for that matter a draw that has lots of green grass at the bottom of it. I watch the goats as they Go down into the water source or Green grass and sneak up on them, Hopefully putting yourself right above them. It has taken me a few years to figure it out, but the tecnique seems to be working great for me. Finding a place that has deep draws where the water sits can be another thing. I also found out that if you sit still enough while sitting on top of a open flat the antelope will give you a stare down for a few minutes, but keep on route. That is unless they wind you first.
j yenney

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Ambush over water works best for me.. Second best is just gettin lucky.
Damn Nice guy

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Nice thing about antelope is if you mess up on one there are plenty more to go after.  Sitting on water works, but is boring as hell.  Stalking, decoys, and ambush are much more exciting, and if you are in a good area, you can do it all day long.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Great ideas guys. Thanks for all the tips! I will try to stay flexible and use different approaches.It sounds like a Ghillie suit and a decoy are a must. I have also heard a tri-pod stand is deadly on goats. Not sure if it's because they are used to windmills. This tactic obviously works only on private land- too cumbersome for public land regulations.

When is rut? Does this usually fall during archery season or rifle season in Wyoming?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Though different goats show signs of being rutty earlier,it starts here usually about Sept 20.I have taken several antelope in fenced pastures,with a one or two man drive.Antelope don't like to jump fences so they have one or two places they like to crawl under the fence.I use a pop up blind or hide in the brush if there is any near their escape hole.One or two guys walk toward them from the far end of the field.The antelope keep a lot of distance between thmselves and the driver.Usually they don't move too fast but at any rate,they usually stop and mill around before scooting under the fence.Once they commit though,they are gone in a hurry.This is a fast,exciting hunt.Many of my antelope taken this way were killed in the first 15 minutes of my hunt.It's not boring.

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
my friends and i use the decoy and call method. WAY fun.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Thanks Jim. Sounds like a blast.

Wisc. Wood Butcher,
Explain the call method? Do you use a deer bleat call or do they make Pronghorn calls. I have never heard of this technique.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
keep your options open.water hole and blinds are very productive, but if it rains try spot and stock and decoyes. and my favoite is to make a cow decoye out of an old ferigerater box, spay paint it black and walk up and shoot them.my hunting partner killed his at 15 yards in open flat county. a stock would have never worked.montana decoyes are making one now.

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
dennis we've been using decoys and calls in the rut and have found goats  to be vocal and curios so we tried calling with an antelope call which is almost like a cow call sorry icant find mine to tell you the macker its two piecws held togther with a rubber band and we squeak at them behind the decoys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Twitchstick & W.W.B., Very innovative techniques. I have learned a great deal from everyone- Way to think outside the box. Thanks.

Steve, If you find your call sometime, please send me a P.M. or attach it to this thread so I can order one.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
I think Lohman makes an antleope call.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©