3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOC  (Read 342 times)

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
FOC
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Who shoots 250 grains up front are more. Been playing around and have an arrow shooting well with 300 up front. Seems to shoot well out to 30 yards, haven't shot farther or on game. Just seems like a lot of weight up front when 125 seemed to be the norm in years past.Getting the 300 with 100 grain insert and 200 grain head.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
:wavey:   I am!  Shooting 250 up front at the moment, but will be setting up an arrow for 425 grains up front(125 brass insert, 125 steel adapter, and 175 broadhead) once I build the bow for it!   ;)

Trajectory will be dependent on total arrow weight.  

Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
That was the norm with wood and aluminum,but carbon arrows are a whole new ball game.Most of my carbons I shoot with 225 to 250 up front.With carbons they don't come in as many different spines as wood or aluminum.So they require longer lengths or more weight upfront to achieve the dynamic spine we need for tuning them to trad bows.They recover quicker and seem to handle the heavier weight up front better then other shafts.Plus we try to get an arrow heavy enough for shooting,with carbons you can do so much with them.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I shot 350 up front (100 gr brass insert and 250 grain point) this past fall.  I had a passthrough.  The years previous I had 250 gr points with aluminum insert and also had passthroughs.  I'm now working on 400 up front (100 gr brass insert with 300 gr point).  I still get great arrow flight (I use the bareshaft planning method).

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I shoot 350 up front on my 51# longbow huntin rig.  Shoot 250 up front on my 52# recurve huntin rig.  Use the same shafts but they cannot tollerate quite as much weight on the front out of the curve.  It just punches that arrow out a little harder.  Shoot thru most everything I get a chance to hunt.  Gonna go try some pig hawgs this weekend with Bisch since deer seasons over.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
I shoot 400 up front out of my Wesley Special.  Full length Axis, two 100 gr. brass inserts, 200 gr. field tip.  Darts!   :bigsmyl:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
I've switched back to wood arrows and have taken some of the lessons I learned from carbons with me.  I've been messing around with high FOC wood arrows and so far I like what I am seeing!  I think the concept of hight FOC is the next best thing to canned corn!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
I like really high FOC arrows, from 23% to 29%.  

They straighten out faster, fly truer, and I like the added total arrow weight that gets me between 11 and 13 GPP.  

The 55# Mohawk uses either 725gr AD's with 350gr up front for a really heavy arrow that packs a punch, or 600gr Beman ICS's with the same front end package.  

If you haven't tried high FOC, you owe yerself a try,  And while yer at it, do some comparisons for penetration with lower FOC arrows.    :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©