3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tejon Ranch  (Read 1425 times)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tejon Ranch
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Curt, you would not believe it. There's no way to show it properly in a photo.  It's the kind of place that you get stoked when you glass up some hogs, then put down the binoculars and your heart sinks as you try to figure out how the heck to get to them. It's like elk hunting for hogs!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
I think  I'm comming down with a fever, (Hog Fever) I'm sure sorry that I missed this one, I'll be saving for the next one though.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Guys it really does look incredible!!  How many days did you guys hunt? It sounds like it should have been longer...

Looks like a heck of a place to spend a week with a bunch of new friends, stalkin' hogs, and shootin' bows!!

This hunt will be part of my future plans (hopefully it becomes a yearly thing)at some time.....

I'd luv to see more pix    :pray:

Any more hogs killed?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Man, that looks AWESOME!!!!!  I gotta get out there one of these days.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Just got off the phone with Dave (King) and it sounded like most everyone saw pigs. I talked with him to find out if we could set up something like Sunday afternoon after the weekend hunt is over till Thursday.  Looking forward to more stories about this hunt.. If I remember right, there's another hunt in April........

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Looks like fun to me. Too bad you can't use GPS on the cellphone to find out where it is. Gary

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Curt,
The Tejon ranch is a great place to hunt, just make sure you are in shape.  I went to high school close to the Tejon Ranch, hunting the surrounding areas; I don't think there is anything back east you can compare it to.  The best description I have for it is to imagine a ranch nearly the size of the King Ranch in Texas, with mountains steeper then any you will find in the Rockies, and vegetation somewhat like southern Colorado or New Mexico in the mid and upper elevations.  The vegetation at the ranch where we had the Texas Sweat (west Texas) two years ago reminded me of the lower elevations on the east side of the Tejon ranch.  On average, the mountains where you, Peter, and Tracy, hunted elk here in Montana a couple of years back are a cakewalk to go up compared to these.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Gary,
Put Gorman California in your GPS, if I remember correctly, that is where the original main ranch headquarters were.  Gorman is about half way between LA and Bakersfield.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Walt, I should have explained better. I meant, too bad he couldn't use the locator in his cell phone to find out where it was. Sorry, Gary

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Gary,the think the headquarters is in Lebec.If you need any info, on the Tejon ranch, call Barbara @ (661)663-4288 she is the hunt Cordinator.I think they are having a archery hunt in April,the south side.I've been on the south side before,its not as steep and plenty of hogs.
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Man Curlis, thank you so much for taking some pic's as mine are all gone.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
The last three pics were from Chuck. Looking out for each other is what it's all about!

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »

You know it's not every day you get to meet the type of quality of people you meet here on tradgang.   :scared:  

Then you have the BOB'S from Oregon, they actually came the farthest, so I'll be nice, besides I need more dirt on them ( just great guys, hope to hunt with again for a longer time)

What can be said about the king: he's so nice and polite he should run for office (lol)

Oh my goodness, skinner is a killer and should be feed with a stick from a safe distance.

Delta, aka Sensei, is one with all wild life ( he's like Ace Ventura, lol) I am in need of more classes from this great wouldbe hunter ( bowww to your Sensei) he also shot the biggest trad hog

John is a sheriff, so I better not say anything, he might get me in a chock hold and make me tap out.

We will defiantly do this again, I think it went off pretty good for all of us being our first time hunting here.

I will work on putting something together for next year, bigger and better.

Start getting in shape now    :knothead:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Cool thread. I sent you a PM David.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Hi from Oregon !

We really had a great trip!  Long drive but I am going to give it another try.  Everyone has said all the critical stuff, great hunt!

One of the things that I really like about hunting new areas are the things that nature surprises you with.

This photo shows what a Acorn Woodpecker does to prepare for lean times...pecks holes in trees and then loads them up with acorns.

While it doesn't show as well as I would like you can see the straight line on the horizon...its a fog bank that stayed in the valley...never made it all the up top.   Neat hunting then looking down into the valley below.

Here is a close up on the woodpecker holes

On Saturday night the fog did roll in a bit.

Bob and I ran into three 'pounders that shot a pig with,they said, Rage Expandable Broadheads.  Same story we have all heard many times, three arrows, little penetration...say 10" perhaps 12" with a lightweight carbon arrows.  He said he had "every confidence" in these heads as he had killed a few deer with them.  Will they ever learn?

Damn shame that King got ripped off, puts a real damper on a great trip.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
Next year we need to plan more campfire time. There wasn't near enough time to talk to everyone.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
In the spirit of keeping the good memories alive here are a few more photos:

Mr Chuck in action in the tall Oaks:

These two photos show Mr. Chuck humpin the hills.  The Second Photo was just before he hacked-up a lung....  :eek:  

This is the Tejon Ruggedness that the hogs love...

A shot of yours truely fixing breakfast in the field.

One of the best parts of Traditional Archery is the plain old fun in the field.  Mr. Chuck and I will stumpshoot while hunting.  Looks like the old guy hit the spot pretty well on this stump! Old Guys Rule!

And this was home sweet home on the Tejon Ranch.  There are never any midnight SNORING sounds coming from this castle, at least according to Mr. Chuck!

For those Trad Gangsters interested in next year's hunt we are preparing a special perpetual trophy to be awarded to the largest hog taken with Traditional Gear.  We'll post the trophy in another thread but it will be the handiwork of Delta, that's Jim Belleville of Belleville's Artistic Wildlife.  Not to spoil the surprise but rumor has it that the trophy will be a Taxidermy mount of the south end of a north bound
boar hog in all his glory.  Hmmm, that should make the wife happy to hang in the formal living room.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©