3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare shaft tuning question  (Read 317 times)

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Bare shaft tuning question
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
I just made up some 50-55 ash tapered arrows. I put a 160gr point on the front. I shot the arrow out of my 60# hybrid and it showed weak. I shot it a few times. Then i shot it out of my 52# long bow which has always shot 50-55s well. Well the second shot in i shot low on my target and it went through my 4" styrofoam backer and hit the pallet it rests on. Well when it was hitting it was vibrating the tail of the shaft alot. Well when it went low it snapped clean in the middle. I would think ash would be stronger than that. Is this a case of a bad arrow or maybe just bad luck? It vibrated right under my deer target and i think it may have slapped the under side of the deer, but i dont think it should break from that. Any help would be great. Thank you.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shaft tuning question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I've snapped wooden arrows while bareshafting when they're pretty much tuned. I then shot into soft foam and didn't have that problem.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I've never liked ash. It behaves "soft" compared to other woods and needed 5-10 pounds more spine compared to hickory or POC.

Don't try to draw conclusions on what one bow likes compared to another. There could be 10+% difference in performance between them and 1/64" difference in centershot makes a huge different in the arrows they will like along with 40 other variables.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
ttt

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
i use to shoot 50-55 POC out of my recurves that range from 45-50# i draw 26" i cut em to 28" and put 160g up front.  Lots of variabes in what happened...very hard to say unless we were there.  I'd say bad luck.

I think they would be a lil to weak for your setup buddy.  This chart always seems to hold true...sometimes a lil heavy but I've had good results with it.  

http://arrowsbykelly.com/Spine_Charts.html

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Thank you all very much for your help

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©