3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon vs Aluminum  (Read 1092 times)

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon vs Aluminum
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I recently went to a Gander Mountain for some nocks for my 2117 arrows, he asked me why I wasn't shooting carbons and shooting aluminum instead. I told him that I was shooting aluminums because they are more forgiving plus they have a little more weight for more penetration. Now I have been told by a few people that I should use aluminums because I will get more penetration even though I will lose some speed, because I am only pulling back 52lb with a 125 grain broadhead. Will the little bit of extra weight that an aluminum arrow has make that much of a difference?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Carbon vs Aluminum
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
The narrower diameter of the carbon's will likely make up for the extra weight of the aluminums regarding penetration.  They're both good shaft material.  Aluminum is generally a little straighter, comes in a greater range of spines and costs a little less.  Carbon is tougher,thinner and easier to front load due to a slightly larger variety of heavy inserts.  Shoot what you want to shoot.  The guy was just trying to sell you stuff.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Aluminums have spine and can be matched to a bow quite readily.  Carbons do not have spine... all they have is attitude!  If you are young, you have time to match carbons.  If you are old, you probably do not.

>
>
>

Seriously, I did find the carbons, especially in light weight, difficult to match compared to alums.   Also, I was unable to find inserts and tips that matched the diameter of the shaft, and I really hate a tip that's bigger than the shaft.  I did get a match, but if I were to get serious about them, I would have to make a dedicated effort to learn how to do internal weighting and finding all new brands and sizes of inserts and tips.  

The big advantage I do see is no bent arrows... broken, yes, but not bent.  I'm down to very light weight aluminum arrows and that may force me to try carbons again if I experience a bending problem this year.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
I have never been able tune a carbon arrow. Must be something I do wrong. Aluminun arrows for me are easier to tune, easier to cut, easier to change inserts and just seem to work better.
That being said from what I have seen a skinny carbon arrow, weight loaded up front will penetrate better than a similar weight aluminum.

John

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Swagged Alumium...2117's!!  :thumbsup:    ;)
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
I like carbon arrows for compound bows, but aluminum arrows for trad bows.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
You should have asked him where they kept the POC shafts.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Just tried some aluminums for the first time. I purchased some Easton Legacy's for my Savannah and really like the results thus far. I'm thinking seriously of permanently making the switch to aluminums for this bow.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Bayou Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
+1 for the carbon is hard to tune complaint. It may have better penetration, but aluminum has killed a helluva lot of critters for many, many years.
Quinn Stallion >>--->

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
i like carbon. once u tune an arrow just stick with what works ,i been shooting the same type of carbons for a year. plus i like them because they are either straight or broke.. its tuff to bend carbon outta shape  ;)  but then again i like light arrow set ups. so pretty much for me it seems carbon is the only choice for me.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
Personally I don't understand why people would want to shoot carbons because they like a lighter set up. IMO a person hunting with a traditional bow should stick with a heavier set up for penetration reasons. Traditional bows aren't going to break any records for speed, there not made for that. Each to there own though.

One thing I've got to ask. Have any of you noticed that carbon arrows are terrible for seeing blood on them? I hate Inspecting a carbon that passed through on an animal. I can never see or find any blood on them. I like seeing evidence on an arrow. It can tell me allot about the shot.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
I'm thinking that when my new bow arrives I'm gonna get some aluminums.  Carbons are great for durability but the more I hear about aluminum arrows the more I want to try some out.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
Schultzy....I favor aluminums but its hard to argue that Carbon doesn't penetrate well. I personally don't like playing or having all that FOC.

My hunting partner shoots a homemade 48# longbow, Carbon arrows cut 29"(he draws 27") and Wensel Woodsman broadheads. All his shots this year were roughly 20 yds, one was 12. He passed through every animal shot and recovery was less than 75 yds.

Now you know he'll never go back to Wood or aluminum after seeing this years results. As a dealer for Arrow Dynamics, I played around shooting Carbon. Flew like darts out to 60 yds, out penetrated my 2117's in close range dirt pile shooting.

BUT...I just love my swagged aluminum. Same wt and tolerance every time, fair priced and my Dougherty Naturals and Legacys just plain look good. To each his own but carbon seems to be the way of the future....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
A guy sure can't argue with the results your buddy has had. I wouldn't be switching If I was him either.   :thumbsup:

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all your input. I do have one more question for ya. When I shoot carbons I have to aim, when shooting at a deer target, where the legs meet the ground (if that makes sense), but when I shoot aluminums I have a more reasonable aiming point, in the middle of the ground and the bottom of the target (or the chest of the deer. Now I don't look at the tip of my arrow while shooting, I can see it through my peripherals. The few other trad hunters (the only three I know) that I shoot with don't know why this is. Any input that you guys have would be great. I have flirted with the knock placement a little but I get worried that I might mess up my flight. I just received my new Whisperstik (The best bow I have ever shot) and this only occurs with this bow. With my old bow I would aim right at the bottom of the chest. Is this something that I just have to get use to or can I fix it some how? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
I'd say It's all In the difference of weight Jack. Your carbons are possibly lighter and faster then your aluminum's and thus they won't drop as quick as your aluminum's do.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I shot aluminum for a million years coming from cedar and fiberglass.  When I bought my last bow the bowyer convinced me to try carbon.  I learned sevral things quickly.  The carbon recovered from the bow quicker, was simple to tune, and weighed more than my aluminum arrows did.  Where's the down side?  BTW I used Carbon express Heritage series shafts which are designed for trad applications and are heavier than those designed for compound applications.

I can't see me going back unless something unforseen changes things.  I have been shooting the same shafts for a year now without any breakage as well.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Schultzy:
[QB] Personally I don't understand why people would want to shoot carbons because they like a lighter set up. IMO a person hunting with a traditional bow should stick with a heavier set up for penetration reasons. Traditional bows aren't going to break any records for speed, there not made for that. Each to there own though.

Not all carbons are light.I shoot the Ad shafts, and I consider them heavy.  They are 715 gr, shot out of a 58# bow. I myself like heavy shafts. They are the "best of both worlds" to me, they have the weight of wood, and the straightness of carbon!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Frankly, the kids working as "archery experts" in places like GM, Cabelas, etc, impress me more in their ignorance than any level of expertise.  In particular, GM seems to consistently hire these arogant know it alls...

Quite often, they assume they know far more & better than the customer, and know better what he needs.  That, and they don't bother to converse long enough to actually find out.  Add to that the vast majority don't know jack about Trad archery & tackle...

Just in the last few months I overheard two instances of two different young men dispensing
goofy advice based on what they "know" because that's what they were told at some seminar put on by a bow company.

If I went to buy some nocks for alums and the sales-dweeb questioned why I didn't shoot carbon, I would have to tell him to pound sand and take my business elsewhere.  And have done just that...

Both carbon and alums have pros & cons.  I personally shoot both.  I find alums easier to tune to a bow due to the more narrow spine attendent to each size.  Alums are easier to build/fletch/work with.  Their greater GPI weight without having to diddle around and add extra is an advantage for a Trad guy.

Carbons are tougher, period...

But hey, if you are getting the results you want with alums, I sure wouldn't change just because some sales dweeb at GM doesn't like em'...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I shoot carbons because they are extremly durable, come out of paradox faster and fly flatter. I have shot thru shoulders of deer (not that I aim for the shoulder with a bow but stuff happens). I had a dozen arrows last me almost 3 years of hard use. Most of those arrows were lost rather then broken.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a boatload of aluminum arrows and fling a few from time to time but when it's time to chase deer, I'll be launching carbon.

Your results may vary.....

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©