3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black hawk  (Read 288 times)

Offline mdrecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
black hawk
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
has anybody ever heard of a recurve called black hawk bee i got this for 40 bucks put a string on ot and it shoots and has a 64 amo but cant find any info on brace heigh or when it was made any info would be great

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: black hawk
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
The Black Hawk line of bows was made by Cravotta Brothers of E. Mckeesport, PA from the 1950's to the 1970's and are no longer in business.  They also sold lots of archery accessories, such as leather quivers and such.

Their bows are pretty good shooters of average quality and can be found (usually on auction sites) at reasonably low prices. Most folks tend to go with Bear, Pearson, Wing, Howatt, etc., but there are a few collectors out there that favor this bow.

I would start with a brace height around 7" and slowly work up until it shoots the best and quietest...and dacron strings only, right?
Lon Scott

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
The numbers on the riser are when it was made. Sometime in the early 70's I think, they changed the way they put the date on the bow. For example I have a Yellow Jacket #657. It was made in June of 1957.

Black Hawk bows were made by Cravotta Bros in McKeesport Pa right outside of Pittsburgh Pa. I think they went out of business in the late 70's.

Their bows are good quality, not the most desirable, nor the fastest or best looking but very servicable weapons that last a long time for a good value.
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
seems we posted purty close together...
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
I think that the Black hawk Scorpion was one of the best bows ever made!!IMHO I have had many people shoot some of the ones I have and every body can hit with them, 60" and flat like a revurve but when strung looks a like a R&D limb,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©