3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best cold weather clothing  (Read 642 times)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Best cold weather clothing
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Been looking to update my wardrobe.Been looking in to sitka but have mixed reveiws.All ready have a bunch of Winona and some other wool stuff.Wondering if the new stuff is as affective in keeping me warm and any other pros and cons.

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best cold weather clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I've tried the new stuff and I'll stick with the woool. Pants and shirt and a wind breaking jacket work for me to -10 if moving. If on stand I'll wear additional wool and a good pair of boots.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Wool......
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
overbo,
We are in the process of changing out all our old stuff too.... We are going the opposite direction. Have used Mossy Oak Breakup camo and man made materials with somewhat good success over the years. But now that we are trad hunting and ranges are much closer we are going all wool and Predator Fall Grey camo. I cannot believe the diff in the camo till my son and I hunted the same two trees a few times this year on both sunny and cloudy days. We were 30 yds apart and I could not believe how dark and unbroken the Mossy Oak was compared to the Predator. I have also heard how wool absorbs light versus man made stuff reflecting light.

Another reason I want wool is how well it breathes. I cannot believe how comfy it is when it is from 15 degrees all the way up to 50 degrees. As mentioned above, it is also QUIET at close range. I had bought my son a new Cabelas Revolution Fleece pullover and when we were on the same tree I could not get over how loud it was anytime he would brush up against the tree or his Summit Viper. JMHO

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I maybe a redneck but I like layers,good long jons,heavy fleece or light wool and then "Carharts",been keeping me warm in all but the most extreme weather conditions for 25+ years.
100,000 farmers and construction workers can't be wrong.
    ;)
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I have some Sitka clothing, and am quite impressed with it's warm weather capacity to keep me cool, but haven't tried the cold gear yet.  However, the two kids who started the company are both alpine climbers as well as hunters.  I was told that they got tired of trying to find high-tech clothing for hunting and decided to make their own, combining the fabric technology of alpine mountaineering with the needs of hunting archers.  The textiles major at University of CA, Davis(their alma mater)may well have provided them with help in researching the fabrics, since neither of them have backgrounds in textiles science.  When you're climbing alpine it's not a good thing to get sweaty-you tend to freeze to death-and I have no doubt that the fabrics they've chosen will work well.  I also like the stretch built into many of the garments, and it appears that when you're fully kitted out, you don't look like the Michelin tire guy!  Next season, I'll be combining Sitka with some wool to get the best of both worlds.  I know they both bowhunt, and like I said, my warm weather gear really surprised me with it's effectiveness!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
i got a Filson Wool jacket when i got here to Colorado "best jacket i have ever had!!"
Layering it the Ticket!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I'm believing more and more with wool.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I hear good things about Sitka gear, but never personally seen or tried it. Just thinking out loud though I bet it is fine if you are moving, but would think it might not be warm enough for sitting in a stand in temps below 20 degrees for very long ? Again, just my opinion and again, I have not seen it or tried it in person. Maybe some of the Sitka users will be along shortly and tell me I am wrong ???

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
"Been looking to update my wardrobe."

I'm supposing that if one actually has a "wardrobe" then one needs to update it from time to time.  On the other hand, I have a closet that contains myriad articles of tried and true clothing, most of which started its professional life with someone else.

There is nothing better than wool.  Nothing. And if you get too close to the fire, it won't melt and stick to your skin either.  I actually have a lot of wool and most of it is second hand; well, actually third hand since the sheep was the first owner.  I guess I haven't considered an update to my closet stuff, because it works and is....well, closet stuff and not wardrobe items.

But I digress, and I must defer to those who really do have wardrobes and things that match.
Now I'm off to Goodwill....it's half-price day on hanging items.  :thumbsup:    ;)    :rolleyes:    :thumbsup:

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
I to am a self proclaim REDKNECK an I LOVE carhart it is tough! wind proof sticker an burr proof as well. Iam from Maryland and it dosent get crazy cold here.its quite as well as good in comfort.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I'll agree with George....Been trying for years all the new technologies out there for the last severals years and found that a great pair of high tech thermals,layering and wool on the outside seems to be the best.

I prefer the wool on the outside (Sleeping Indian) because it is extremely quiet and does a better job blending into the envoironment.    

Just MHO..

God Bless,  Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Jimmy, I think you might just be correct in that assumption.  I'm a spot and stalk guy, and never considered it on stand.  It's definitely designed for movement.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Browning Hydro Fleece is some good stuff.

I bought some new stuff back in November.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Wool.

I want to get a GOOD set of wool bibs, camo or not, dont matter. Was excited to hear that Gray Wolf would be at K'Zoo and I could check it out "hands on". If GW wool is 27oz. and Filson is 24oz. why is the Filson thicker and heavier?

Eric

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Westbrook, I am sure smarter folks that know wool better than I do will be along shortly. But from what I was told it is how tight the weave is. Tighter weave equals thinner, looser weave is thicker and lofts more. Tighter weave helps defeat the wind. I don't care cause any wool I buy from now on will have a liner in it.

ncoams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
I live in MN where it gets downright ugly cold. About 17 years ago I got a deal on a King of the Mountain jacket and another deal on Sleeping Indian pants. I have worn that one set of hunting clothes on every spring turkey hunt, Mule deer/elk in Colorado, Antelope in SD and everytime I go into the woods all fall for white tail deer. The best part is the fit, it's not bulky and very fitted for bowhunting. I know these brands are not cheap but I haven't bought another set in 17 years, I just haven't found anything better and until I do I suspect this is the last set I will ever buy. By the way after all that time they still look like the day I bought them.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
I have a load of Sitka Gear and am really liking it. The other day were were lion hunting at about 2 degrees...riding 4 wheeler at 10-15 mph.... I had layered Sitka Gear under the Nimbus windproof jacket and stayed cozy... My toes were another story!!!

I LOVE wool and about any kind of fleece...agree with George though on the wool not melting... VERY nice feature...

Most my winter pants are surplus wool...7-20$ a pair...

E

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
I have to make a correction, it wasn't 17 years ago it was 11 years ago when I purchased my wool. Fuzzy math.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©