3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best cold weather clothing  (Read 643 times)

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best cold weather clothing
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
I haven't found anything better than wool. It's the only clothing I wear when the temps drop.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
WOOOOOOL!!! There is no better for cold weather!
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
stoney creek gear. that's what us aussies & kiwis wear. the best.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline DV of WI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
I ve got a set of KOM had it since early 90's. Don't wear anything else when it gets cold, works great.

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Mostly with George on this, as I have tried the high end stuff and the low, my outer gear is a mismash of varing brands and camo/plaid. It might go without saying but I have friends that will wear brand name wool that they got a "deal" on, but is way too small. Fit of anything trumps the brand name and I laugh when I see them struggle to move in their "wardrobe".  That said I would highly recommend Ullfrotte under wear, top and bottom. I would guess that Smartwool and other top quality wool longies  are right there. I have tried most of the wiz-bang synthetics and for me it isn't even close. Ulfrotte out performs in ALL conditions. From top to bottom on any given cold(10 farenhight or below) Carhart knit cap with Smartwool skull under. Ulfrotte 200,Pendelton shirt, Grey wolf fleece hoodie, then Grey wolf white and brown plaid vest w/liner.Bottom, Ulfrotte 200 longies, light German military wool pants(loose fit) Cabelas wooltimate(with liner)  Smartwool liner sox and either Smartwool or Filson wool sox and boots vary wildly depening on how mobile I plan on being. Last but not leest, I always have my old green army wool scarf with me from early season to the end of spring turkey hunting. A warm neck when you are sitting cures many ills.
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
stripe,
We bit the bullet this year and ditched the military polypro underwear and bought full sets of 400gr Ullfrotte' wool underwear. Worth every penny and NO comparison when it is cold. Still can wear the cheaper, ( $40 a set polypro ), when it is chilly, not blue cold. Once it gets blue cold no substitute for wool. If you get the baselayer right you are much better off no matter what you decide for the outer layers. JMHO

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
I threw all the poly-stuff away a few years back, particularly after reading Paul Brunner's excape from death in a burning tent.  That fixed it totally for me owning the stuff.  It's plastic and melts, and that ain't good 8^(.

The base layers are extremely important.  I use Wooleys..100% wool next to the skin.  I've had these for at least ten years and probably more.
They feel warm even as you put them on.  Layering is the key to keeping warm, and don't neglect the midrift area; that's a place that you can lose heat quickly, just like the extremeties.  When it's particularly cold, I keep my fleece fanny pack wrapped around my midsection and it's like having a little heater on your body.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I purchased the  wooltimate jacket from cabelas. Have been very impressed with it thus far. It cuts the wind well,and is comfortable to shoot in. I was comfortable at 15 degrees with 30 mph winds during January with only a light fleece pullover underneath. Only negative is it does pick up burrs something terrible.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Tocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
This is an area that I have been struggling with and refining over a period of many years.
The majority of my hunting is mountain hunting and I am always going up fairly steep stuff to arrive at stands that I will be spending a number of hours at.So the heavy Wool or the heavy lined bibs and parka's don't work for me.If I wear them from the time I start out I will be drenched with perspiration in short order.Also I don't want to carry the weight of those type of garments.
So the solution for me has been pretty much to always have a pack on my back and to have layers of light but more clothing that I can make adjustments with.I have 200 weight Ulfrotte/wool power bottoms and tops that I will wear with a thin unlined wolf skin pants or supplex nylon pants,same for my upper body with the ulfrotte,I will have wolfskin jacket or thin windproof fleece.Once I get to where I will be on stand when it is really cold I will put on one or two more layers of wool long under shirts,ulfrotte,smartwool,minus 33,possibly a patagonia micro puff vest or micro puff pullover,or in the really cold an integral designs dolimitti jacket or patagonia Das jacket.The final layer will always be unlined wolfskin or thin wind proof fleece.I will put a second pair of long under wear on and patagonia micro puff pants with wolfskin unlined pants or windproof fleece as the final layer.
I will have an extra pair of dry socks to put on ands I will have handwarmers and feet warmers to use as well,if it is brutally cold I will have Ice Breaker boot blankets with me.I also have multiple wool hats,Baclava,neck gator etc.
This may sound like a lot but it really is not from a carrying weight perspective.No more weight than heavy weight wool bibs and parka,I believe considerably less and a lot more flexibility in various temperature ranges.
Things that are on my short list of possible future purchases are a Helly Hansen Fibre Pile Union suit.Those things look seriously warm!I may also purchase a light weight synthetic 0 degree sleeping bag to crawl in to versus a much heavier and one dimensional Heater Body Suit.
I don't have it licked yet but I believe I am getting close.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Day one wool is hard o beat
BD

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I'M A LIGHT AND FAST TYPE OF GUY.NEW SENTHETICS ARE AMAZING.GOOD LAYLERS ARE BEST. GOOD WICKING BASE, FLEECE MIDLAYER GORETEX OUTER YOU CANT BEAT.I WILL BE AT 10,000 FEET THIS WEEKEND IN A BLIZZARD AND BE FEELING WARM AND DRY.BUT WOOL YOU WILL NEVER DIE. HAVE BOTH THEY BOTH HAVE THIER PLACE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©