3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon Question  (Read 792 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon Question
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I want to do some experimenting with carbons.  I pulled up the Carbon Express page and looked up the Heritage arrows.  I want to make up some heavy arrows.  I added up the components, arrow shaft, weight tube, and 200 grain field tips and came up with a 620 grain arrow.  I shoot a 55lb. Harrelson T/D recurve and a 54lb. Acadian T/D recurve.  Does this combination sound as if it will wor?  I have not determined if I am going to shoot 5 inch 3 fletch shields or 3inch 4 fletch parabolics.  I also plan to bare shaft test them first. What do you think?  Am I missing anything?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Hey to a fellow South Carolinian. What CX heritage spine are you looking at and what length arrow are you looking for? Standard Aluminum insert?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm looking at the Heritage 350s at 29 inches.  I plan on using the yellow weight tubes cut at 24 inches.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
WAY TOO STIFF!!!  I would go with the 250's and don't cut them first!!  Bare shaft tune them with the 200 grains you want up front, and then cut 1/4" at a time to tune.  If it is still a bit too stiff full length, you can add more point weight.  I would think you would have to leave the 350's full length with a 100 grain brass insert and lots of point weight to get them in the ballpark spine wise.

HEY KATMAN.............A box left here today for you!!!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Brian,
Thanks for the imput.  I am going to order my shafts soon.  I need something to do other that fishing and chasing turkeys this spring.  What about the use of the weight tubes? Have you used them to get the weight up?  And if I bare shaft  tune the arrows, I assume that I should go ahead and incert the tubes to get the weight up.

Doug

Offline selfbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Just for curiousity why are you wanting such a heavy arrow ( elk or bigger?) My goldtips with 100 gr brass inserts and broadheads are 500 grains. All four deer I shot this last season the arrow blew through. These shots were under 20 yrds and I'm shooting  a 56lb recurve.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Doug,

I personally wouldn't waste money on the tubes for your setup.  You will have @ a 560 grain arrow which is LOTS for anything SC will throw at you.  I use that weight arrow for MOOSE out of a 57# bow.  I have used the tubes, but I am not real crazy about them.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
I agree the 350's WAY to Stiff. You would need them full length 100 grain insert and 325 point, 3 4" feathers, that combo shoots well from my 55# Morisson recurve. Go with the 250's and would need to be about 30-31" with 200 point and standard insert, add 100 grain brass insert and you may be able to shorten 1/2-3/4" more.

Brian, will be watching the mail truck daily.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Katman,

I hate to tell you this, but you will probably be watching for that truck for a couple of weeks!!!!  It will seem like a month though I am sure. LOL!!!

Doug,

Let us know how you turn out with your arrows.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
AARRRGGGGG, Don't tell me that. Didn't know you sent it SNAIL mail, LOL, just kidding, the wait is going to be tough, but worth it.

Doug keep us posted on your outcome.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
I plan on shooting Simmons Interseptors. I thought that I could ad a brass ring to get the 190s up to 200.  My draw length is a little less that 28 inches.  Glad to know that the spine of the 250s will handle a 200 grain head.   Thanks for the tip on the tubes. If I can learn how to post pictures, then maybe I could takes some and post them.

Doug

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Interseptor,

For what it's worth, I'll throw in my $0.02.  I shoot a 54# @28" BW longbow. I draw 28", maybe just a tad over.  I have always used 29" 65# cedar or birch with 160gr point and decided to try CX this year.  I ordered the test kit from 3Rivers and settled on the CX250s cut to 30", 100gr. brass insert, 160 points.  I ended up around 640 grains after fletching, etc...I still shoot the bare shafts once in awhile just to check things out in between fletched arrows and started noticing that the were showing a little stiff, not sure if I didn't notice it before or not, but I then tried the CX150's, cut to 29", using the same 100gr inserts and 160gr points and they fly so well I'm going to switch.  I'm still over 600 grains on the arrow so I'm happy with that.  Hope this is of some use to you.

Ken

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Interseptor,

One more point...I also do not use the weight tubes and I was hoping to draw an elk tag in Wyoming this year and I wasn't going to even question whether or there was enough arrow weight.  Seriously, the bare shafted CX150s with my point weight was the straightest bare shafts I have ever shot from any of my bows.

Have fun working it out!
Ken

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »
I shot with a guy at the SCBA Trad shoot who was shooting Carbon Express 150s, he had killed a kudu with one, they seemed to be fairly heavy. Probably more than enough for the mini-deer we have here in SC.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©