3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cleaning Carbon Arrows?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Bullet_Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
Cleaning Carbon Arrows?
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
I want to make a twist Flu-Flu arrow. All my carbon arrows are fetched so I need to remove the feathers. What is the best way to remove than and clean the shaft?
"Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cleaning Carbon Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I would purchase one of the speacialty tools they have developed for removing fletch. its well worth the money and will save you from ruining your arrows. i use a spray degreaser or you can use some alcohal. good luck.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
you can use a fletch removal tool,or a dull pocket knife, just be careful not to damage the shafts. once all the residual fletch/glue is removed and the shaft is smooth,wash it in hot water and ajax to clean the shafts,rinse well and let air dry and you should be good to go.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
I have found that after I carefully remove all of the feather that I can get with my pocket knife, a piece of sandpaper used carefully gets the rest of the feather and any glue left behind. After that, wipe the shaft clean with a little bit of lacquer thinner on a rag. The glue sticks much better than when I used alcohol to clean with.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I TAKE a single edge razor the kind we dont use for shaveing anymore drag it on some sandpaper to knock the sharp edge off it and scrape the feathers and rap. I take off the edge so you dont cut the carbon. I then wipe the arrow down with acetone. acetone is great I shoot goldtip traditional arrows it will not harm the finish BUT it will remove all the writing an it WILL melt the knock. so remove the knocks the acetone should not hurt your insert you wont get enought acetone near it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
I've done all that is said above and that is why I always prefer to use wraps on carbons for this reason of redoing later.And it will give you a guideline of where to start your spiral flu flu.

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Easiest way with carbons is to put on a wrap first.  Then when you need to refletch just dip in boiled water for a minute and wrap/feathers peels off nicely.  :thumbsup:
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
I have used my wife's potato peeler and it worked pretty well. As Nor'easter said when you refletch use an wrap.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
I use a dull pocket knife, to remove the feather or vane and also use it to scrape off the old glue.  Then clean it with ethyl alcohol.

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
See there Bullet Bob..??  There's more than one good way to do the job. You just need to find out which technique is best for you.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by BadgerArrow:
I use a dull pocket knife, to remove the feather or vane and also use it to scrape off the old glue.  Then clean it with ethyl alcohol.
Right on the money: a dull knife and alcohol cleaner.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bullet_Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
yall guys are great!!!!! Now just teach me how to shoot a bow  :)
"Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Look, I mean no disrespect to anyone but, this scraping with a dull knife don't work worth a crap on my arrows!!    :banghead:   The freaking glue that was used to fletch my AD's just won't come off that simple.   :pray:   Please, someone suggest a method to soften the glue so that it will scrape off easier. Don't have any Acetone handy. Any other recommendations?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I got a Zip-Strip from Cabellas that works great for removing the fletches.  For an aluminum arrow, you can just keep shaving away until all the glue is gone.  For a carbon arrow, once the fletches are removed, you can dip the end of the shaft in MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) which you can buy at a hardware store, for about 10 minutes, and the rest of the glue will easily wipe off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
wannabe1, What type of glue do you use?  I have used the dull knife on, bohning platnuim, duco, and the super glues.  Goat tuff has a glue softener for there glue's.  But it is manily for vanes.   If you have AD Wood grains don't use any chemicals you will also soften the glue that is holding on the wood grain wrap.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I do have the AD wood grain shafts. Not sure what glue was used as I ordered these shafts and they came fletched already. Do you think that something like Goo B Gone would work?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline AKtraildog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
How about removing the fletchs off an arrow that has that hard shiny finish like that on a good fly rod?  Will MEK dissolve that finish?  Maybe Acetone?

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Scrape and use the Acteone, and yes the finish comes off, just like on my Grizzlystiks, then use a wrap when you refletch....done and done.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
OK...  I have only fooled with the AD "wood graphic" a small amount but I have been able to get glue off with acetone and not remove the graphic.  Just gotta go slow.

I use fletch tape and cap and crest.  I dont want to use acetone on those
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
It would be worth your while to contact the manufacturer to determine the proper cleaner to use before re-fletching, they are not all the same.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©