3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Hand Arthritis Pain  (Read 443 times)

Offline USBP_1969

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Hand Arthritis Pain
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Howdy.

I have been shooting Howard Hill Longbows since 1991, but a while back I began to experience joint pain in the ring and little finger of my bow hand.  I started wearing a golfing glove and that helped some, as well as taking Glucosamine.  Long story short, I had to sell my beloved HH longbows.

I then obtained a radical deflex / reflex longbow and the problem went away for a while, but I have now ended up retreating to a light 54" recurve that seems dead in the hand.

As I write this, however, my bow hand little finger is letting me know that it's not happy with yesterday's 30 minute shooting session.  (Both ring and little finger joints are swollen)

So, this question is primarily directed to those who have experienced this and have hopefully found a solution.

I love the flight of the arrow too much to quit.  Thanks.
>>>>------   ;)   -------->

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Hand Arthritis Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I have it so bad in my drawing hand (r) that when I get up in the morning it is so swollen I have to put under warm water just to make a fist. I will be watching this one.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
My bow hand is OK so far, I do always wear a thick glove if I am going to shoot a lot.However on my drawing hand my first three fingers swell up in the knuckels and hurt so bad after only about 10 shots I started using a release. I know its not TRAD but if I didn't use it I couldn't shoot and that ain't going to happen.Arthritus doesn't go away so you must find a way to protect your hand.They have special padded gloves for carpenters and guys that run vibrating machinery. You might look into them. Good luck and keep shooting!!  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline hat creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Hey, guys, I feel your pain(literally). I have it pretty bad in my bow hand thumb...right where I hold the bow against that joint. Just today I began working on a padded glove with neoprene between two thicker layers of leather. Hope it allows the pressure of the recurve against it. I'll let you know if it helps.

Offline USBP_1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks gentlemen.  I'll keep checking.

Maybe a bow with a heavy riser would help.

One of the mechanical release manufacturers use to make one with a "release trigger."  I really should have ordered one before they stopped building them.  It would have been a lot more natural and the load was on the palm and wrist.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I beg to differ with Bob that arthritis doesn't go away. I had arthritis so bad in my back that I cried every morning as I got dressed. It would take me 20 min to get my socks and pants on. I thought I would never hunt, fish, golf, and I didn't see how I could continue like this. I took every medication they had,with minimal results. Them a friend told me the results he had with glucosimine with his knee. So I gave it a try, and thought I noticed some improvement. About the same time I had a physical for my CDL(truck driver)and I ask my Doc about this, I expected him to say"snake oil,save your money),but no, he says"that's goods stuff" he aske how much I was taking and I told him 500mg, he said to bump it up to 1500mg. A few weeks later 99% arthitis is gone. Instead of missing 30 days or more because of my back, I have missed 0. This has been over 5 yrs now. I hunt,fish,golf, run, and now I shoot archery. If you are experiencing any arthritis and you don't at least give it a try your making a mistake. I have people to out of there way to find me and thank me for getting them to try it. I was close to getting surgery for my back as I have 4(one real bad)ruptured disc. I have had 0 days that I have been flat on my back since taking this. It's been a miracle in my life-maybe yours too.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
A couple of good recommendations on this thread.

To reduce vibration as much as possible:
Shoot a bow with a heavy riser, added vibration dampening equip like LimbSavers or a loaded quiver.  You could also wrap the grip for extra padding.

Shoot a lower draw weight to relieve some of the stress on those smaller joints in the hand.
Wear a shooting glove, padded if possible.
Pad the fingers of your glove with leather inserts (my Dad does this), or shoot with a thicker tab.

Talk to your doctor about pain meds.  Take them 1/2 hour before you shoot to stay ahead of the pain.  Glucosamine is another good suggestion.

Soak your hands in hot water or a paraffin bath before and after shooting.  They also make wet/dry heating pads or mits that can go in the microwave.  Always use moist heat when possible--it is deeper penetrating than dry.

Good luck!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I'll second the glucosomine. One thing to bear in mind, it usually takes about a month before you notice that it's working (or not) Another thing I have had luck with is Theragesic. The stuff Paul Harvey and Rush peddle.And a big thanks to Too Short for telling me about glucosomine
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline USBP_1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
sdpeb1, couple of questions, if I may.

Are you taking 1500mg per day, and is it straight Glucosamine or is it mixed with something else?  I took some for a while, but I believe that there was something else mixed with it.

Also, does one need to keep taking it, or is it a short term medication?

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Kent
I also have some arthitis in my hands and arms, been working with them all my life.
I've been taking 2000 mg Glucocamine, 1200 mg Chondroitin, and 500 mg MSM, liquid all in one bottle from CostCo, made by Wellesse for about 4 years now and it works, I also take two Ibuprofen every morning. I'm 61 and this just comes with life. I shoot about two times a week for about 30 mins. and shoot two 3-D shoots a month.I'm shooting long bows now all about 54#.  :archer:
Larry

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
Another one that is mostly for heart, but seems to help is Fishoil w/Omega III.  Cheap too.

If it gets bad enough, go to a release.  Master Chief buddy is a wrencher and even tho he is only in his 40's he had to go to a release for his recurve.  Pretty dang good with it too.

Stop shooting so much.  Take one arrow, shoot, retrieve, repeat.  While it's important to keep using the joints, abuse doesn't help.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Larry
 Good point, stop shooting so much, it's hard to to do, but it sure pays off when you shoot at home, and at the 3-D shoots or hunting.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
How about a wrist sling? Maybe it would help reduce on the gripping pressure.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
I was having daily pain in my knees, hip, and shoulder last summer, not related to shooting. I started taking "Turmeric". It's a spice used in Indian food. It's a natural anti-inflammatory. Indians even use it directly on wounds as an antiseptic. It's also good for digestion, and doctors think it helps prevent Alzeimers and has benefits with cancer. Google it up and see what it's good for. My pain went away after a week or so and hasn't returned. I take it with fish oil. Walmart sells it in capsules in the vitamin section. Indian food stores sell the powder much cheaper to mix in food.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:00 AM »
USBP, to answer your question. I do take 1500mg a day. Lately it seems it's been coming with MSM. I've did some research on MSM it also seems to be a good supplement. My doctor told me to forget about the chondrotin, said your body can't digest and assimulate it well enough to help. Gluscosimine is supposed to help rebuild soft muscle tissue and allow for proper lubrication of joints, it's not a anti inflamitory. If I stop using it, I can get by without it for about 2-3 weeks before I start feeling stiffness again. I always regret it as it takes 1-3 weeks to get working again. One thing i found interesting and what some "experts" are saying is that your body starts to lower it's production of this stuff around the age 40. I can also report that at the time I started taking this I had a ache in a groin muscle that wouldn't go away for a fews years. I didn't notice that it was gone for some time because I was in such misery with my back that it never seemed that big of thing, but it was painful and annoying. I also recently have started taking Omega-3 or fish oil capsules which has omega-3. I've never believed in supplements but now I keep an open mind.-Steve

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Looks like I'll be trying some out. My drawing hand is killing me lately. Three bloated sausages for fingers.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
It pays to shop around for the stuff. Used to be rather expensive here where I live, but once we got a Wal Mart , CVS and Walgreens, the price really got competitive..I went to Walgreens the other day and they were changing brands they sell. I got 90 Triple Strength Glucosomine and Chondroiton for 6 bucks on sale.
 I started taking it after Too Short told me it might help my knees. I ran track and played B/ball in school and the ol' knees took a pounding. It helped a lot.Then I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia ( on this one I will plead ignorance, some doctors say it's real some say it is not, I don't know. They gave me anti inflammation drugs and the pain was eased, that's the bottom line) and I quit the Glucosomine. Bad mistake.I attributed the pain to the fibro but since fibro is a disease  of the muscle tissue and arthritis is the joints, the two are distinct and different. I went back on the Glucosomine.
 Remember- "we can rebuild him, we have the technology "
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
A different suggestion: I've had a problem with my left wrist for a while, popping and hurting. I started squeezing one of those silicone balls that they sell at Staples, etc. for pain associated with computer usage. You squeeze it with your arm strait down and never release all the tension using all your digits to exert pressure to exhaustion. It works wonders and also helped me increase doing pull ups. It strengthens not only your wrist and forearms but also the individual fingers and I have no pain if I use it every few days.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Is Glucosamine hard on your stomach?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Flinttim.....Any doctor that doesn't believe in Fibromyalga I would stay away from.  I've had this for years before they realized what it was.  They put me on Lyrica and in just a couple of days a world of relief.
  As far as the Glucosamine and Chondrotin, it never really did much for me. Nowadays I wear the Morphine patch, take Lyrica, Vicodan, Prednisone, about 4 more anti-inflammatory drugs, plus all the supplements mentioned.  
  I haven't hunted in a few years now cause of the pain.  But I do shoot as much as I can, when I can.  It helps to keep the mind focused on something other than pain.  Archery has helped me more than anything, except the drugs, to deal with it all.  Hang in there, and find a good Rheumatologist.  They understand what your dealing with.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©