3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow questions...  (Read 262 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow questions...
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
I shoot Beman Bowhunter 400 31" carbons with a 100gr. brass insert and around a 145gr. tip, whether it's a broadhead or a field point.
My question is; how do guys shoot the heavier spined arrows like a 300 carbon or a 2317 alum.? Aren't they over spined? Do they put a ton of weight up front and leave 'em full length or what?
I shot a 2117 alum. for a while and it was WAY over spined for my 55# longbow. And even the 400's with all that weight up front seem a little over spined...

Another question; What do the numbers on most carbons mean? Like 3375 or something. I see them a lot in my local pro shop that specializes in wheelie bows.

One more, if I were to buy more of those Beman Bowhunters and they were 500's and I cut them to 30", what brass insert would you suggest I put up front, a 50gr, or a 100gr.?

If you could point me to a "carbon arrow guide" or something I would be much obliged.  :D
A little help from the experts if you please...  :help:  

Zack  :archer:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Any replies will be helping me too! I have a 55# bow, will also shoot full length (or slightly shorter) arrows, and have the same carbon shafts... I've never tuned an arrow. WHERE TO START??   :banghead:    :confused:    :confused:    :confused:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
Cabon arrows to me were a real headache at first.  But once you get a handle on them they become easier.  As far as the number on the carbons.  They usually give spine (.340) or the bow weight they can be shot from 7595.  But these are designed for a wheel bow and we must add weight up front.

As far as your question if the 500 will work we need to no what type bow, weight, and centershot your bow is.

Carbon arrows are much less affected by point weight then wood are aluminum.  But yes we put a bunch of weight up front.  One of my arrow setups right now is a 54# recurve cut past center.  A axis 340 cut to 28.75" a 100grain brass insert and a 180 grain head.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
I've never tuned an arrow. WHERE TO START??
Go here and click on "Bow Tuning"
   http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm  
As far as your bow goes carbons with a deflection of .500 should be right. I shoot a 54# recurve cut 3/16" past center,arrows 29.5" BOP with 175-225 grains up front and they all shoot well.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Zach, A lot of it depends on the bow.  Some bows like stiffer spine arrows.  My Shrews are a great example.  My 57# Lil' Favorite shoots a 2219 arrow cut to 30" with 125 grains up front.  I tried a 2216 and it was still underspined.  Since that was my first Shrew I didnt know that they needed such a heavy arrow.  So finally I was so frustrated I called Ron and he told me that I needed to go heavier.  I don't shoot aluminum out of that bow any more I shoot 75-80 pound cedars with 150 grains up front and they fly like darts!!

Like was said before the 55-75 is supposed to be a weight range but it all is relative to the deflection or spine.

You might be able to get the 5000 to fly out or your Montana.  It might take some playing and I am not to familiar with carbon but I would think if you cut them to 29 or 30 inches and put a standard insert and 125 grain tips.  Your bow is not center cut so you need a weaker spine and it is also a longbow so I would think that would put you close the where you need to be.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Carbon arrows are great arrows but they do not come in as many different spines as wood or aluminum.So you pick out a basic starting spine and you adjust the dynamic spine by shooting them and trimming length and adding weight up front.Alot of guys pick a stiffer spine to add more weight up front and tune them and end up with an arrow heavy enough for shooting.Carbons are generally lighter then most other arrows,I just don't want to shoot a 400 gr. carbon out of a 70# bow.Carbons seem to handle alot higher FOC then wood or aluminum,they are very adjustable.You can do so much with them,heavier points and heavier inserts.Carbons are just a different ballgame when it comes to picking out a spine and tuning them to your bow.They usally end up longer then what I was used to from using wood or aluminum.I find on bows not cut to center like carbons longer to go through the paradox.A shorter carbon can have the affect of bouncing off the riser instead of flexing around it.I had a set of used carbons that were 1" past my draw and I couldn't get them tuned no matter how much weight I added up front.They got worst the more weight I added,they were bouncing off the riser because carbons recover so much quicker.Carbons are great arrows,very tough and they are usally straight or broken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©