3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumping my nocks off  (Read 379 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stumping my nocks off
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
I shoot pretty tough arrow when stump shooting and don't have many arrows breaking on me, even when accidentally shooting into frozen blocks of sand.  My nocks, on the other hand, are another matter.  If I hit something hard, they frequently break or pop off, regardless of whether I am using tunable nocks or index nocks.  I know the solution is to not shoot at things that are hard, but walking up to every target before you shoot at it takes have the fun out of stumping and messes with guessing ranges.  I wonder if anyone has any tricks to prevent the nocks from busting.  What I would really like is a blunt tip that acts more like a shock absorber, like a simms stablizer, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any on the market.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stumping my nocks off
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
What kind of arrows are you using and what kind of glue are you using?
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Are you using weight tubes inside the arrow?  Those will tend to push a nock out.  Have you tried rubber blunts?  They can take quite a pounding!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I use a variety of arrow, but no weight tubes.  I use the AD trads and recently started using a few of the AD hammerheads.  I don't think I could break those if I tried.  I also use axis full metal jackets that are 300 spined and pretty tough.  I have had the tunable nocks breaking off right where the taper meets the nock (can be a pain to get out of the arrow unless you have the right sized screw).  I have tried superglue and fletchtite on the nocks.  I have some gorilla glue but it so messy I haven't tried using it for the nocks.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
AD are known for that problem.Leatherneck uses the nock adapter and glues 5/16 nocks and he has no problems PM him he can help you.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Thanks longbowben.  I have some AD's with the nock adapters.  I've been nocking the nocks off of them too.  I've nocked the adapters clean out a time or two also.  I think they were only glued in with fletch-tite, though.  Gotta admit, I'm not as careful as I should be, but the arrows are darn tough.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
I see new designs for blunts coming out, but they are usually designed more for small game hunting than stumping.  I really like judos, but they still jar an arrow pretty good.  The rubber that is used in the bludgeon tips is too hard by far to protect the arrow.  Maybe I will try some gorilla glue for the nock inserts and nocks.  I don't think I've tried that.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Try goat tuff real strong .
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »
I'll give it a shot.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
I have used countless types of glue and nothing seeems to work.  It's more of a physics thing.  The energy from the sudden stop has to go somewhere and it travels up to the weakest point being the nock.  I have had it happen less with with nock adapters glued in with  Devcon epoxy.  With the AD's, glue in the adapter. Then cut the adapter at the first line up from the shaft.  Now you can use a Bohning G-Nock, they come in two sizes for various size strings.  

A little word of caution.  When you do have a nock blow out.  Double check to make sure the shaft is not cracked.  If the nock slides in and out the the shaft easy, you can almost bet that it is cracked.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Hey Pat,
I haven't had that problem with my AD's, and you know how bad I am at picking a "soft" target. I've been using the ACC uni-bushing with Easton g-nocks. Maybe give them a try.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
PDK25,

I use the AD arrows and use the easton bushing/nock set up from the A/C/C arrows (size 3-28 A/C/C arrows). I use the 2 part epoxy, glue the bushing in and use the standard easton G-nock. They work great.havent had one break yet.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll give some of these a try.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Hey Pat,, put those "Lighter" Limbs on that RER ....  Sorry bud, couldn't help myself ...

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
It gets much colder, I won't have a choice. LOL.  I'm drawing like every 20 minutes to stay loosened up.  Losing a bunch of weight has made me weak.  I probably would have dropped down to the lighter limbs for the winter, but I was too lazy to tune my arrows.  I've got 4 diffent types of arrow tuned pretty well for the heavier limbs.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
The new Beman brochure has a nock and insert called a "VIBRAKE" with navcom dampening material and looks like they can be purchased as a component.They might soak some vibration. Maybe?? Anyone tried them?

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
doesnt help your shooting 70# LOL.  None of my knocks bust...why you ask?...b/c I shoot baby weights 45-50# hahah

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
I need the heavier draw weight to cover up my ham-fisted release. LOL.  Some day I'll buy a real cheap practice bow to work on that.  Just not during hunting season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©