3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Economy, Out of State Hunts, Layoffs  (Read 587 times)

Offline inrut

• Trad Bowhunter
Economy, Out of State Hunts, Layoffs
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I was wondering with the economy in the state that it is in how many Trad Gangers are NOT going on out of state hunts this year? How many are laid of from work and are watching your spending and not buying new bows and the other “toys” we all would like to have?  I for one will not be going out of state this year. I have a lot of opportunities but think it is not a wise choice at this point with the uncertain future that lay ahead. I’m currently one of those who have been laid off. I do have plenty of time now to tinker around and read Trad Gang. Your thoughts?

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Economy, Out of State Hunts, Layoffs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
I think tradgangers are going to have to swap more hunts.I like to hunt other places and hunts cost to much for the average working man.No ones job is safe in this economy.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I've NEVER been on an out-of-state hunt and have always found the price asked for guided hunts to be nothing short of extortion! I HATE that I have to pay anything to exersise my God given right to feed my family with the game He provided us. It's bad enough that I have to fork over money to the government in the form of taxes on license fees...
We need more open generosity and trading when it comes to our sport. Far too many are secretive and selfish when they've found a good spot. If you have a community like this, of good hearted, respectful hunters, take advantage of the opportunity it offers to bring the spirit of abundance into your life. SHARE the spots you've found, and expect to have others share with you.
The only plot I have access to on a regular basis is just 5 acres but I've taken all of my close hunting buddies there, and I've never been short of game to take for myself. Funny how that works!

:thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
The future is uncertain and death is always near. Hope for the best and plan for the worst! I will, like I have for almost 30yr, hunt near home.  :D   But if ya have the time and $$$$ go for it! Better to regret the things ya done, than regret the things ya never did.   :readit:    :)  

Plus I love reading about other people adventures!  :thumbsup:  

GOOD LUCK!!

Raven >>>>--------->

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowben:.No ones job is safe in this economy. [/QB]
You got that right!!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
I'm not saving a dime for my kids, they can make their own way! Sign me up! I'll go!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
It depends on how a person wants to spend his/her money. I work alot of side work to fund my hunting trips or I would not be able to do them. My regular paycheck goes to my family. No side work-no hunt. But I don't have a problem paying an outfitter to hunt. They put in alot of work to show a person the way and they should be compensated for it. Not to mention food and lodging. I love to do "do it yourself" huntsbut sometimes it pays to use an outfitter. IMO

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I got lay-ed off Sept. 1st 08, just got called back to work 3 weeks ago. Not sure how that happened, or how long it will last. Made for a nice hunting season, but doesn't pay the bills very well. Always wanted to go hog hunting somewhere, but I just can`t justify the money for it right now. Maybe if I stay employed, I can feel better about spending the money on a hunt.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
It has been rough for folks - no one is safe. Would like to go out of state but for awhile - ain't happening!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
"Far too many are secretive and selfish when they've found a good spot"

No offense intended but i have lost some good hunting ground this way..I'm not selfish but when I spend hours and hours and all summer trying to find a good hunting spot, I sure don't want to lose it by trying to be generous only to have the place overrun with other hunters and slowly get pushed out altogether. Sorry, but thats what happens. I've had instances where i have taken one and then they go tell their buddies,ect...i guess this issue is a pet pieve of mine cause if people take me hunting, i don't divulge any info nor do i invite others unless that indivdual allows it and I just wish all hunters would be this way.

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I have also lost some good ground to showing it to a friend. The year after I showed him he went there without me and with 6 guys. I was not able to hunt there again. Gary

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm with TradBower and sagebrush. I've had that happen twice. Now it's just me and the boy. Hap

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
I'm with Biggie!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Crii

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
This is my first Tradgang post so nice to meet you guys.

In response to the OP, no I have no plans to go out of state to hunt this year.  Keeping this in perspective though, I never have plans to hunt out of state lol.

In regards to being secretive and sharing.  I have put more people in my hot spots then I have myself.  Personally I get a lot of satisfaction from sitting a friend on a prime spot.  There are also spots I keep to myself.  For me its a balance.

I have a lot more land then me or a dozen friends could hunt.  All my permissions allow for me to bring a guest.  I'm more selective of my friends then my hunting spots.  I have never run into the things you mention about "friends" abusing my generosity....yet (fingers crossed)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
LET me tell ya something it is time to get down an boogie let see what your made of. time for some low budget smashmouth hunting.we can all get deer hogs or whatever it is you like to hunt .I find its times like this that makes me humble. thank my maker for what Igot.Its these hunts with friends and family on public land and tent camping and crappy food that makes you happy to be alive.and 10yrs from now when your on some high dollar hunt sittin around a campfire flippen through pictures an you cross this low budget hunt you will come to relize that those were in fact the good old days .

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
For now I'm one of the lucky ones and still working (that could change tomorrow though). I still put in for Utah Elk since I have the points, I'll be putting in for New Mexico Elk as well. I'm going on a DIY cow elk/spike bull hunt in Washington with some friends in November, and I'm going to (hopefully) spend some of my California points this year. I figure my draw chances might be a bit better this year...we'll see if that works out or not.  
Of course that all can change depending on my personal economy but I am not going to let that stop me from planning and dreaming.
If I can't go then I'll be hunting my local private land access either through my relative, friends, or Wilderness Unlimited for my usual deer, pigs, turkeys...which I do anyway.
I probably won't go the outfitter route as I like to DIY. I like to plan, read the maps, do the research, etc and put my hunt together.
On the other hand, I am cutting non essential spending and trying to make the dollar go further so I can go hunting.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Times are definitely tough right now but then i tend to live well within my means. I planned on doing a self-guided mule deer hunt but my friend backed out so i plan on combining my vacation with the wife and a self-guided pronghorn hunt in Southern Colorado. I plan to take the wife to Taos NM and since it is off season then the rates are pretty reasonable. Then hunt in Colorado for four days while the wife hangs out at the pool and fly home courtesy of free tickets from jetblue. After I lost a good friend suddenly I promised myself I would do an out of state hunt easch year no matter what, it might be a real cheap hunt but I would do it.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
I'm one of those that have never been on an out of state hunt, but would love to go.  Money's real tight right now.  I'm dealing with shortened work weeks, but thankfully still working some.  I'd be happy to trade a hunt with someone, but I'd feel bad if they didn't get anything!  I hunt about 150 acres of my uncle's land, and I know plenty of other places to go (mostly public) where practically no one else hunts.  I'm in the southern Iowa area, if anyone's interested.  :)  

Right now, we're barely making it, thanks to God, and I'm gonna enjoy my longer weekends by cutting some osage, roughing out some bows, and trying my hand at laminated bows.  I figure if I can't buy em, I can still make em!
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I've worked the past 25 years to get to this point in my life where I can afford to go places and I am. I have no credit cards, car payments or any of that. Time to live life before I'm old. I'm going hunting.
lll

Offline Bullet_Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I would be happy just to get a shot this year and kill my first deer a long with my son. I really don't care where it is.
(With my luck it will be one of them foam deer)
"Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." - Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©