3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hooded Wool?  (Read 520 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Hooded Wool?
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Hey Gang,
    I really like wool clothing for the cold late season here in Wisconsin.  The problem is it's hard to find a heavy wool jacket that comes with a hood. You'd think cold weather clothing would have this feature! Anyone know of any wool manufacturers that make hooded jackets?  Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hooded Wool?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Check out Ron LeClair's web site. He sells wool hoods as well as wool shirts. He is listed here as a sponser.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I was going to ask this.  G. Fred (always paying attention to Asbells fashion sense) is wearing a nice plaid wool shirt/Jac in the newest TBM.  Where did he get that?

I'm thinking my mom, she still quite the seamstress, could sew one up for me, but where do you find good wool plaid material?
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
elkbreath,  I've spent a few months trying to find good plaid wool material that you can buy by the yard (instead of the whole bolt).  If I can find the links I'll send 'em your way, but I remember you can buy the wool directly from Bemidji.  They have a variety of weights and they supply some of the wool for many companies (Woolrich and Gray Wolf included).
Their 20oz wool is a good price for a decent wool.  You can get a really dense weave 20oz wool from some other sources, but the price triples.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
columbia wool jacket. $79.  I have one and I like it for the money.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
swanndri makes a great, hooded 100% wool coat. Check out their website.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
You can buy a hood for KOM stuff.  I generally don't like hoods, but used one for the first time this year and it worked very well.  The KOM hood is cut so it doesn't block your peripheral vision.  Another manufacturer of good wool hunting clothes, Autumnwood, makes a very nice parka with an attached hood.  There are others as well.  Those are just the ones I'm familiar with.

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
DAY ONE
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Sleeping Indian sells their wool coat with a hood. It comes standard. Very warm coat. No problems bow hunting with it.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Cabelas has a coat with hood and windstopper. VERY warm. Oh, I have a Swanndri too and really like it.
TommyBoy

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I really like the Columbia wool jacket, very warm.

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
I really like the Columbia wool jacket, very warm.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Elkbreath, G. Fred's wife, Theresa, makes those hooded pull-over hunting shirts and they sell them at shows. I suspect there's a website you can google but don't really know. Quality is good and price is fair, but they're pull-overs and I much prefer button-fronts. dave

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
PM sent.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
I think Hidden Wolf will make you a coat with a hood on it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
mmgrode,
I have different Day One and Grey Wolf camo for different weather types. And they are both super great. But my go to late season wool is the Columbia bibs and jacket in "snow" camo. But it's not true snow camo. It's really a grey outfitter camo. So it's good for late season with snow or without. And the price is right.

My buddy has the green camo and it's dark and blobs, in my opinion. It may was well be solid dark green at any distance.

However, the wool is recycled and not a heavy true wool like the more expensive options. So what I did was order bibs and jacket in XXL instead of XL and I layer up real well underneath. Hint, under armor next to the body with 400 woolpower over that and a fleece union suit is nice for cold temps.

Oddly enough, I love the camo and the jacket and bibs, but I hate the hood. I'm going to have a tailor remove it and make a high wind collar instead.
I'd sell you mine and buy another, but I retro fitted my jacket with a grunt call tube holder on the right breast and added arm tie downs on the left forearm. If you get the bibs unhemmed, you can use the excess wool to make a nice grunt call tube and even binoc holders in the same material.

Here's the camo pattern, click the snow...
 http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005812930870a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=columbia&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%  3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Gray Wolf Woolens can make any of their jackets with a hood.  I had a hooded vest in my booth at Kalamazoo last weekend - some of you may have seen it.  The hood is a $49.95 option on the custom Outfitter clothing line.  Gray Wolf is a sponsor, and I handle his stuff as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses and the recommendations.  Sure does seem funny that many companies don't have standard hooded models in their cold weather wool jackets.  Thanks guys, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Johnson Woolen Mills sells plaid wool by the yard.  I'm currently having a pullover made for me by a local designer/seamstress.  Look for pics in a couple of weeks.
Otto

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I know they are warm, but I just never could stand not being able to see and worse yet.... not HEAR with a hood on. Drives me crazy thinking that a deer might be sneaking behind me.

I even wear a big Columbia rain boonie when hunting in the rain, rather than use the hood on my rain suit for the same reason.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©