3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binocular recommendations  (Read 880 times)

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Binocular recommendations
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I'm looking into some DIY hunts in the western states in the next few years.  I'd like to invest in a good set of binoculars.  I haven't begun to shop around yet so I'm just looking for some starting points.  I don't want to spend a ton of money on them, so for argument's sake let's say $500 and under.  This isn't set in stone, like I said, just looking for some starting points.

BTW, I normally hunt whitetails and turkeys here in PA and don't really use binocs for much more than scouting.  I'm more interested in a set that will handle some glassing for antelope, elk, etc.. that I could use during my scouting back home.   Thanks...Mike

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binocular recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I have had good luck with Steiners 8x30 Predators. Not to pricey, but still good quality!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Two very different goals there Mike. What is useful for the open Prairie is a bit strong for Eastern hard woods.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Zeis Conquest and Vortex Vipers get my vote for that price range! 10X for out west or 8X for combination use.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
I use Zeiss conquests 8x40s wish I had gone with the 10x40s now. Never hunted western but even in my close pine forest here in NC I wish for the 10 power. I can only see 25 yards in most places so out west should be no less than 10s.

Leupold has some nice binos in the 300 range. Good company to work with to, their customer service is sencond to none.

J

Course Swarovski is what I really want but OUCH!!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, keep em coming.

Yeah David, it is a hard compromise here.  But my binocs get most use while sitting on some fields, fire roads, or power lines during the summer months.  I don't use them much in the woods.  

I was thinking a good 8 or 10 power would work out there as well as for some distance scouting here at home.  I have a nice little 6x pair for in the woods...Mike

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
The best I found for both worlds are the Leupold Olympics.  I bought a pair of them last year in the 10X50 size and they work great.  They have the power for the open areas and the viewing angle for the hardwoods.  I have really been happy with the these binos.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
For $500 and under I go to optics planet and look at the Leupold Binocular's in your price range. Can not go wrong with Leupold and there are quite a few of good ones in the range of 10x42 and 10x50.

If you want to go all the way for the very best look at Swaro's, Zeiss, and Lecia. They are all top of the line and if you have scratch well worth the investment.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Mooseman- I picked up a set of Kahles this year in 8x32 and have been pretty impressed - not Leicas or Swaros but not $1200-1500 either.I spent around $500.00 on them and consider it money well spent so far. Hog hunting Texas next week and should know more. Grant

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
People are going wild right now over at the optics forum at 24hourcampfire.com over a new mid-priced binoc.  There are some very knowledgeable people there, including some of this binoc's fans.  There's a downside, of course; it's from China.
 http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2736219/page/1/nt/4/fpart/1
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I just bought a pair of Nikon 8X42 Monarch's yesterday. I used the heck out of them on a hunt this morning. Fantastic glass for low dough.

I started a thread a few days ago on this very subject. There's a lot of great info from some very wise folks in here:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=070169;p=1

Offline lucznik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Leupold Mesa
Leupold Cascades
Leupold Rogue

Nikon Action Extreme

Bushnell Legend

Pentax PCF WP II

All Porro prism models.  All well within your budget.  All superior to any roof prism binocular of comparable price and in fact, superior to most glass costing many times as much.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Zen-Ray
Promaster
Vortex Viper

All within your budget.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
BlackDog, where do you find these binocs at?  Thanks...Mike

Offline donpatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
I spend a lot of time behind glass every year and Swarovski is king!  That being said, if I only had $500 to spend I would rank my choices in this order.

Vortex Vipers
Nikon Monarchs
Midline Leupolds

That is my .02
----------------------
Black Swan 54# takedown

Offline antler chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I have had good luck with pentax 8x42 dcf 8x little better in low light.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Check these out on the Bushnell website. 7x26 Elite Custom Compacts. If you can't find them locally, Cabelas will special order them for you. Bought mine for $275 last year. They're not your average Bushnells.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
What Vermonster said:

I'd go for the Monarchs 8X42 in camo for $300. Good enough for Texas and in the dark woods of New England as well.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Mike we will make your head spin... But looking through price point glass for extended time will give you a killer headache.

Out west binos are good to find animals that are up, and covering a lot of territory fast.

I feel you would be better served with a spotting scope; you can pick apart the real-estate with ease...

It may not be the direction you want to go, but if you want to hunt out west with success in mind, that’s what I would recommend.

Enjoy the hunt
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Here's a response I posted recently on another bino thread:
"I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 binoculars I bought last year after much research and I'm very happy with them. Great warranty(unconditional lifetime warranty...ie. anything breaks, no matter the reason, they will fix it or send you a new one!) and quality glass for around 500 bucks(maybe less for the 8x)...about as good as you'll get for that price. Really, the next step up from this would be the big three(Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss) which cost around $1500-2300.

Monarchs and Leupold binoculars are also good options and are a good value for the money. Many have used them and are happy with them.

Remember, binoculars are one of those pieces of gear that is an investment. Believe me, I know what it's like to have spending limitations, but buy quality glass now and you won't regret it...buy cheap glass and you'll be replacing it in a few years and wish you had shelled out the cash for the good stuff. Oh, and don't forget to go to the store, get the binoculars in your hands and compare them...especially under low light conditions."

I would also add that, out west, quality glass can save you a lot of time and effort searching for animals.  For 500 bucks, it would be hard to beat Vortex Vipers.  Happy gear hunting, Matt

ps. Vortex binos can be had cheaper on certain sites than others.  You should be able to find them for right around $500
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©