3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow glove options? Big Shot Glove?  (Read 715 times)

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
bow glove options? Big Shot Glove?
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Am looking to buy a new bow glove and would like to know what you shoot and why?
Do not like the shooting tab, I could never get used to it.

Does anyone use a Big Shot Glove and if so what do you think? It is pricey so would like some opinions on it.

Thanks
Jason

Offline Ol'school

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow glove options? Big Shot Glove?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Most of the bows I shoot are 65-75#, With the Big Shot I can shoot for a long time without getting sore fingers. Of course the other side of that is you don't get very much "feel" for the string. They are very well made, and give a very smooth release.
I finally wore one out after shooting it for almost 3yrs, daily practice and a weekly trad leauge
"I may be getting older, But I hope I NEVER grow up!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
I've shot Big Shot Gloves for a number of years.  IMO they are the best gloves available, and the only real innovation in archery gloves in decades...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Big shot gloves are well made and a great glove for some but not everyone. I was using one before they were the next big thing. Bought it for $15 or $20 and could never get used to it. My shooting went way down hill. I'd watch for a used one or borrow one for awhile if you can.

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
find some nylon webbing and barge cement it to some leather work gloves, if you want to feel what a Big Shot is like, before you drop the big bucks...
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Money well spent for me. Prevents the "deep hook" method of shooting which for me broke down my form from improper tension during the draw. I think one could be made like it, but again Big Shot makes them everyday!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
To thick for me no feeling .
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
I'm a long time glove user and when I found the Big Shot, my search for the perfect glove was over.

I have no trouble "feeling" the string, I can use a deep hook if I want to(early Big Shots had pretty short stalls, which prevented deep hook), release is smooth as silk, and they wear like iron (just started using my spare after 3 years with the first one... which is far from worn out).
That makes the glove a very good value for the buck...I was replacing my previous gloves about once a year.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
I have one, still undecided on whether I like it or not.  Bought it last summer and used it a little, went back to my Berlin gloves for hunting season.  Just started playing with the Big Shot again.  It is a different feel than a typical glove, it is very well built and I think it just comes down to personal preference.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I have used my big shot for 2 yrs now and it stil in good shape. Before the bigshot I was using the thinner gloves and wearing them out in a few months. When I switched to BS it was an adjustment. For me it messed with my anchore point at first but with practice I was able to adjust and now its the best glove out there, for me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Take Care

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
i have used the Big Shot for a while now, and I like the padded feel,and it gives a good release with the nylon reinforcement on the tips.

A few things I don't like are the seams are in a location on top of the finger stalls, so that they can interfere with the draw sometimes, and the index finger rotates around so that you are off the nylon if you don't readjust it from time to time. I have had three of these, trying to find one that didn't twist, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

They are very tight when you first get them, but they break in for a good fit after a short while.

As to whether they are worth the money, that's up to you. I'm still looking.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by SCATTERSHOT:
and the index finger rotates around so that you are off the nylon if you don't readjust it from time to time.
I put a layer of surgical tape on my finger tips under the glove, stops any rotation or slipping of the tips.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Love the Big Shot glove. I also use a wet shot for bowfishing.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I've had a couple and never could get used to them. They take forever to break in and they're to thick for me for a consistent anchor. The nylon also scuffed up my cheek.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
The Skookum Glove.  I've had a Big Shot and it lasted about three months for me.  Of course, I live in the Lowcountry of SC where it is very hot and very humid in the summer.  The three months I was shooting it was during the summer.

I sweat heavily and the perspiration did quite a number on the thread in the seams.  The seams tore out after three months of shooting.  I haven't had that problem with the Skookum.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Well here's a crazy question but anyone have a Big Shot that wouldn't mind lending out for a  short trial period?
I would need a large and would send it back after trying it to see how it feels?
Thanks
Jason

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I use to shoot the Damascus glove, decided to get a big shot. I didnt like it at first, but once you get it broke in... there is none better! If you buy one, there is no doubt you'll like it!!! just my two cent's Jason

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »
I used a "Big Shot" glove for about two years and it's a very nice glove but it's not magic and won't make you the next Howard Hill. The last I bought a few weeks ago is a "Barta Glove" from 3Rivers and that's a realy nice glove and at half the price.
lll

Offline Donnie Earl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
I've had one for several years and won't shoot anything else.  They are expensive, but worth it.
Donnie

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Agreed with Charlie Lamb on this one. I shoot a fairly stout longbow and can put several hundred a day through it. It is one investment that is worth every penny. Give yourself alittle for break in and getting the feel and your good to go for a long time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©