3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with aerial photo info  (Read 428 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with aerial photo info
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Last summer I got an aerial map of some property. I used this company because they had 2006 and 2007 aerial shots. The place is all timber and it was logged in 2006. The older photos are better because you can see more after it was timbered.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place I used. They sent me 2 zip files with a 1 meter and 2 meter aerial shot. I spoke with a guy name Karl on the phone. It was pretty pricey. It wasn't mytopo.com. I have searched past threads and my credit card bill but can't find the name of the place.

Can anyone help?  Thanks
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with aerial photo info
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Check the photo you have.  maybe they have their logo or name on it.  Also, check out GoogleEarth.  It is pretty neat and you can darn near look for deer on the photos.
ChuckC

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Most states have a GIS department.  On Indiana's GIS map site, you can pull up all the different satellite photos from years gone by.  Maybe IL has the same?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
This was a private company. Had a website etc.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
I use google earth and print out my own,,,for free

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
John  goggle expertgps  they offer a program that allows you to download topo and aerial maps from the Microsoft Terra server.  They have a 30day free trial it can also interface with google.   I have been using the program since early 90's along with my gps units.  I have topos and aerial of all the locations I hunt and hike.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Are you just looking for an image that encompasses your hunting area?  Or are you after an image with your property lines georeferenced and high-lighted?  Natural color, black and white, or color-infrared?  Leaf-on or leaf-off?Do you want relief shading in the image, topo line overlay?

Some basic images are free and only require a program that will open them.  You may need someone with software to add some of the features I mentioned and create an image that you can use.  I can usually provide some GIS map products for my clients at a reasonable cost but if you were dealing with an engineering related GIS service it could get expensive.

How pricey (ballpark) was your last image?  If you just want the basic image then the USGS National Map on-line might be satisfactory and less pricey.  What are the co-ordinates of you desired image, I can try to dig up something quick that may be free.  PM me if you dont want to post your "honey hole" co-ordinates to the public - I can keep a secret, honest....

:D

p.s. - The price may also reflect quality and date of the image.  1 meter resolution images that are very recent are usually expensive.  Free data is often older data.  If you want images after the timber harvest of 2006 then we are just now reaching the old vs. new break point for free data.  Some may be available but you will have to search for it.  A quick look just turned up some decent leaf-on natural colorimages but they are 2005...
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I use the expertgps program and like it. The only problem I have is that most of the places I hunt have been recently logged, yet the images I get are 15 years old and therefore sorta useless ??? What can I do forester ??? Am I missing anything ?

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
John,

Stop by your local USDA: Natural Resources Conservation Service office. They have access (free to you) to digital areial photographs they can print or email you. The last flight was July or August 2008. I believe the resolution is at either 3 or 5 meters.

You will most likely want to talk to the District Conservationist.

It would help to have a legal description so they can find it in the database quicker.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
http://nmviewogc.cr.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

You could start at the USGS National Map Viewer to see what may be available.  Different states and areas will have different satellite and ariel images available.  Some things can be printed and some may be downloaded.  My home location, for example, has some 2002 and 2003 1m summer photos available but 7 miles north of me I could get 2007 summer color images.  For each location there are 1997 color infrareds.

It just takes a little digging to see what is out there. You will find different date images for your area between all of the major sites such as Google, Yahoo, Terraserver, Live Maps, etc....  I have not used the "expertgps" so I can not comment on it.  It sounds like it has some drawing tool options?
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
contact the Russian consulate.  They probably have better pictures of the USA than we do.

ChuckC  :bigsmyl:

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Forester,

Sent you a pm with the double secret coordinates   :)

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
John Krause - I think I found it.  I don't mean to embarass you too bad on a public forum but I figure we have all been lost before so we can get a chuckle out of it  :scared:   LOL.

I think I found you though, sent an e-mail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©