3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beaver tail grips  (Read 644 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
beaver tail grips
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
could you all give me some info on how durable these are, and if they are difficult to install on the handle... basically pros and cons of them as grip material..pics are always nice too..thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: beaver tail grips
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Check out Abe Penner's site  - Caribow he uses them alot on most of his bows. Guys that have them seem to love em.
hunt it

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
They make for a very durable grip.  The difficult part comes when trying to find one large enough to fit.  I bought several dozen tanned and split tails.  Out of them I think I found about 6 that would work.  Check the Dwyer longbow site.  I think they have some pic's, they bought tails from me in the past.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

I like the way they feel and they are very durable.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
My Widow PLV has the beavertail grip. I like the texture on it and the way it feels.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Do they have to be tanned or will rawhide dried work as well?

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I use a beavertail grip, shelf cover, and side plate. It's honestly the most durable and weather resistant material I've used. I purchased the bow from Abe Penner with it already installed so can't help with installation tips.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
You can get a beavertail hide at Pine Hollow longbows,he has them listed there.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Abe P (cari-bow)sells them and they are the right size/texture to work with for a grip and you'll have some extra for a shelf plate..

Super durable, and naturally water resistant..

Here's what is looks like on a shelf.

Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Steve,
Are you thinking about one for your Black Swamp?? I had one that I wanted on my Swamp and couldn't get it to work. I had a friend of mine who does alot of leather work try to install it. He said he just couldn't get it to stretch to fit the Swamp grip. So I just went with a piece of black leather instead. You weren't going to cover up the nice piece of Cocobolo were you??  :biglaugh:  

Bill

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Steve- I have few frozen Beavertails in the freezer if you want to skin and tan one. I was thinking about skinning one and tanning it myself with home tan. Let me know, Jashu
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
I just finished putting one on my long bow a couple weeks back, used dryed untanned tail for my first attempt!! have two pieces dried and two pieces tanned for backups, but I love the way it feels and looks,not sure about durable yet,but i think it will hold up really well,so far so good!! I'll be using the tanned tails for possiables bag!the other dried tail i'll keep for backup as it was hard to skin those things and flech and tan!! sorry about the pic,i guess i need some pratice!!

1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I am always looking for tanned beaver tail and can never find any? Does anyone know how much a big piece would cost? Like an entire tails worth of leather??

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I got mine from Abe @ caribow shipped for 29.00 I installed it following the directions and it turned out great, the stuff doesn't stretch much but if you follow the directions it was easier than some of the others I've done with leather.
Mike Yancey also sells them at Pine Hollow(sponsor list) I'll try to post a photo here in a bit.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
There was enough to do my pronghorn twice(if so desired) and have shelf material for a good long time.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Any beaver tails for sale ?
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Big Jim sells beaver tails for grips.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Abe Penner from Cari-Bow sells them in several colors. They come together with a description how to install them.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
just had Big Jim put one on my Buffalo longbow while at Denton hill this year.feels and looks great.
robert quetot

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I have one on my buffalo bow from BigJim, and love it.

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©