3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOC question  (Read 1079 times)

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOC question
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
DR, No..Cause if they are tuned properly now, they won't be after changing point weight. Most folks have tuning problems they don't know about and the vast majority of them are over spined, so they go up in point weight and WOW, things got better. But it had nothing to do with the FOC.

Different FOC's doesn't over ride the effects of speed and gravity. If you increase arrow weight, it'll be slower and have a greater trajectory compared to a lighter arrow equaly tuned.

No one is going to see any trajectory benefits at under 20-30 yard hunting ranges, what they should see is tighter groups and better penetration. How much depends on a lot of other factors unrelated to what the FOC number is. A well tuned 10% is better then a poorly tuned 30%!  :) ...O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
DH, Yep! The flight stuff, we don't shoot the lightest arrows we can either, but still light in comparision. It takes energy to over come drag and it takes mass to carry energy. If the earth didn't suck it would be a lot easier!  :) ....O.L.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Interesting video, but I can't see the need for the scale.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks O.L.
In following you reason, and forgive me if I still don't get it, since I have three arrows of equal lenght with increasing weight up front, what I am doing is weakening the spine of the arrow and thus creating the erratic flight of the heaviest? Would you thus recommend I keep the weight but reduce the length to stiffen it up and see what results ensue?

Thank you! I'll get this!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
O.L.

Now I'm really confused, but maybe I see a faint light dawning on marble head.  

Trying to reconcile what you said to me and to Dragonheart leads me to the following, and perhaps obvious, question.  If I increase the point weight, and the arrows fly better and penetrate better, does that mean that they were not properly tuned for me and my bow at their prior point weight?  I think that's what your earlier comment about only one point weight tuning properly for any one shooter and bow, but would appreciate either confirmation and clarification.  And thanks for your time and expertise.  I very much appreciate it.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
P.S. my question above assumes a constant arrow lenght.  Thanks.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
DR, "If I increase the point weight, and the arrows fly better and penetrate better, does that mean that they were not properly tuned for me and my bow at their prior point weight?"

That's a possibility. Better tuning will increase penetration, higher FOC will also, along with more weight. Good chance it was a combination of all of them.....O.L.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanation OL, I have been following a thread on another site where it was said the heavy foc arrow would nose dive. Just needed confirmation from one who tells it like it is and just doesn't follow the pack.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Katman, Yep, that's BS, just tell them they don't know how to tune a bow!  :)  A few compounders are coming around too....O.L.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
All I know is I followed OL's tuning web paper and I now have CE 250's carring 325g up front. Total arrow weight is 673g.  Flight is terrific penetration way greater then anything I have shot before and at 20yards they group with my properly tuned field points.  They definitely do not nose dive. arrows in photo are weighted 225,245,275 and 325g up front. Group is 5" at 20 yards.
here is a photo of arrows of varying weights

Here they are from the back

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
OL, Oh sure tell them that and get my flame suit on again.   :biglaugh:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline dsa1817

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Hey metsastaja, what are the specs on the bow you're shooting?  Weight, drawlength, amount of centershot, etc.  Just curious.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
The bow is a copperhead from crow creek bow built by Elmer Patton. 58" 54@28

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline tiur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Mr. Adcock,in regards to the the 300 xtreem , still in the quiver or above the fireplace??
ASL

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
ASL, Been shooting them and they are great. Haven't had the opportunity to turn them loose at warm meat!  :)  Get busy and make a 250-300 grain glue on!  :) ....O.L.

Offline obee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
where can i find ols tuning web paper mentioned above. brian.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »

Offline obee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
thanks o.l. for the info, very informative, will try out this week. brian

Offline obee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
have in the past tuned compound bows using paper tuning method, were more options with compound, berger button spring etc. will try bareshaft tuning and work on side plate recomendation both bottom and side plate worn, need replacing,to check proper location of each before tuning arrows.thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©