3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting boots  (Read 950 times)

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting boots
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
whats a good boot for spot and stalk

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting boots
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
My personal favorites are the Oakley SI 6" boot or a pair of Merrell MOAB GTX's.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
I really like the Danner/Cabelas Elk Hunter boots.  I have the 6" uninsulated and the 10" 600 gram insulated boots and they both are great!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
I really like my Danner's as well.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
and i like the Danner Jackal uninsulated....
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
An old pair of LL Bean Main Hunting Boot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
I second the Oakley's I have the 9inchers in desert and they have taken a beating. 8 months 1000's of miles of walking, and stalking and they are still in great shape.  Not to mention they are so comfortable that they are the first pair of boots I've owned that I would be willing to play b-ball in.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Danner Jackal!
Light with a great quiet sole.
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
For true spot and stalk, if you are going to have a rubber sole on the ground, nothing beats plantation crepe. It does wear fairly quickly compared to carbon rubber and does not have great traction on many surfaces, but it is by far the quietest rubber sole on the market. The cheapest way to get these soles on Cabelas or Clarks "Desert Boots" style shoots, but those do not have the best foot or ankle support for hiking and hunting, especially with any weight on your back. A much better and more expensive option is a pair of Russell Moccasin boots where you can order any sole you want. One advantage of the Russells is that if you don't like the sole or wear it out, you can send you boots back in for resoling. I have some of the Russell PHs and like them. They are designed for mostly dry, non-mountainous conditions with only a light pack if anything on your back. The main draw back of the Russell PHs is their $300 price tag and long wait. The advantages are custom fitting, custom materials, and the ability to get extensive repairs or reconditioning. There are lots of models to choose from for different conditions, and the prices can get lots higher than $300. Also, I don't recommend the Russells for extreme hunting conditions like sheep and goat hunting, but that's not the kind of spot and stalk I think you are talking about.

I have lots of different boots. The hard sole boots are noisy from being hard. Many of the lightweight boot like the Merrills have hollow spaces in the soles that make them amplify sounds like sand or rock abrading on other rock when you walk. The Vibram Light Airbobs are some that you would think would be noisy for that reason, but they aren't because they are made of a softer material. They also give good traction and wear well. I have a pair of Russell PHs with the Light Airbobs for general purpose hunting in drier conditions like Africa because they are a good combination of being fairly quiet while providing good traction and wear resistance. But when I really want to be sneaking up on an animal, the Airbobs make more noise that I would like, so if I think I will be making close stalks I wear the PHs with the plantation crepe soles. Nothing else comes close. If you want to go cheap and get the same level of quietness, go with the Cabelas or Clarks Desert Boots. On dry, fairly level ground where you are not walking for long distances, they work just as well for a fraction of the cost.

The other boots mentioned are good boots, and I have most of them, but they simply do not compare to plantation crepe when stalking game up close. All you have to do is talk to an African PH about boots and you will hear that their #1 complaint is noise. When I wear my crepe sole Russell PHs all they do is ask me what size I wear, hoping I will leave them behind as part of my tip!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
I agree that the crepe soles are probably the best, but I mostly use Bean Hunting Boot.  Make sure you get the one without the stiff shank in the sole.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
For spot and stalk in noisy conditions I use a 'boat shoe' soft rubber completely w/o tread-low cut and light enough to carry.
The rest of the time is split between Asolos and Russells, always on the ground.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Not boots, but a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor's
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Guys with the Oakleys how do they fit? Good ankle support?

I know I had a pair of oakley shoes and they took a serious beating and held up well, and fit like a glove!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
diving booties and they keep ya feet warm when wet and cold  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Russells rock.  No other shoe on earth feels as good as my PH Hunters.
Otto

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
You won't beat the Russells.  I've had a pair of PH's resoled 3 times.  Also have a pair for sheephunting I think called sheephunters.  As comfortable as a boot gets.  I will say that their Airbob is not a durable as say a Danner Airbob.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I bought a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting boots this last fall, and as all the other members stated love them for hunting, especially stalking.  Now these are good to about 32 degrees, when it gets cold, I go back to my MUCK boots which I love for both stalking and stand.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Very pleased w/ Danner's Jackals but I replaced the insoles w/ one of those gel athletic ones.Made a huge difference .As for stalking/I'm going to try those felt foot pad things this coming season.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Bean's Maine Hunting SHOE that I love.  I believe these are the model without the stiff shank.  I love walking through the woods in these.  You can feel everything under your feet and they are quite.  Can't compare to those previously mentioned but the quietest I've had.  I also have a pair of scuba booties that are great.  I can put more miles in the Maine shoes.
homebru

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
I am thinking about some custom made rubber bottom; leather top boots. I want the leather to go right up below my knee. I am getting an aggressive sole as I might as well be hunting sheep and goat; as I see both while hunting.

I want a high top because I make stupid dangerous moves- to avoid getting my feet wet in mountain creeks; that I could walk through with a high enough boot.

The boots will have liners.. anyone know who does that type of thing - or if I am making a mistake with this approach?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©