3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Mojo" eats...Porker #4  (Read 1475 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
"Mojo" eats...Porker #4
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Headed to the swamp today.Had a bunch of Honey-dos to get done so I made it there about noon. I did some scouting up on the ridges of a new clearcut looking for crabapple trees for next deer season. Its easy to get around and spot them before everything greens up. Even better to find them in the spring when they are blooming. After finding a few promising deer killing spots for October I headed in the swamp. I made a big loop to the back to check a few places I hav`nt been in a while and spotted some big buck sign.. Hope the fella that made this rub is around for next season.

I was in an area that was deep in dry leaves and I could hear much further than I could see so I decided to shoot a few stumps. I was shooting "Mojo" my homemade bamboo longbow. I`m in the middle of some bow buying and selling and have not shot this bow much in a while. But it is a proven killer no doubt.

After about a dozen or so shots I headed to the back where Chris and I "Landshark 160" had talked about there probably being some porkers back there due to the small game hunting pressure. Lots of squirrel hunters down here.After about another 100 yards are so sign began to pick up.....

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Mojo" eats...Porker #4
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Cool, keep it coming!  I wish we had hogs in WI!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I hit the river and followed it for about a half mile. Sat on a log and watched a couple of fellas bass fishing a little bit and finally layed down and caught about a 20 minute nap. Nothing like a mid-day nap in the swamp . Wind blowing a little palmettos rustling , birds singing. Sweet.
   Got up from my nap,shot a few arrows and was off again . This is a longwalk so instead of hoofing it solid I take a few breaks. I get in to big of a hurry hunting sometimes and this is the best way to make myself slow down.
  I hit a deep slew that usually has water in most of it. There was smoking sign so I checked the wind and had to circle a couple hundred yards to approach with the wind right.There is an awful thicket that should hold pigs so as I got close I sat down to listen a few minutes. A minute or so into my wait a I heard a big limb break....

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
And i was about to go start supper!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Oh, now that's not fair!!! Where's the rest of it? You like torturing us?   :mad:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
I eased up into the palmettas that were "moving" and had pigs close but couldn`t see`m. I kept easing forward and finally made out a black one but couldn`t tell which way it was facing.I eased up a little closer a half step at a time and it moved forward a step or so and was quartering away. I was mabe 15 yards or so away. I hit anchor and locked everything down on the last rib and feathers disappered right where I was looking. The pig ran hard for about 15 yards...thats right 15 and fell over and started flopping.I give it a minute or so hoping for a shot on one of the others. Then walked over to find my arrow.They were yellow feathers to start with..

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Even though I heard the pig go down I always like to check out the blood trail. Them snuffers do good..

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
:clapper:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
And then............
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Dang it,
You are killing me AGAIN !
Man you are my hog'n hero, period!
Public land (me too) and consistantly takeing animals. I love it.
More please

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Blood on palmettas...purty ain`t it.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
And finally...pulled up by a tree out of the briars...Public land porker #4 for the year. Mojo pulls about 50 lbs at 27 and I shoot 2018`s with 145 grain snuffer with a 100 grain steel adapter. Should be near 650 grains maybe a tad less.RC

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
If I could stand the temps the rest of the year, Georgia would be the place.  Thanks for sharing all your hog huntin' adventures.  Makes me green with envy.   "[dntthnk]"
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
AHHH !!
This is just plain waterboarding!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
What a great way to wrap up a week of work - readin' RC's contributions to the POWWOW!

Thank you for sharin' your recent hunt RC!  I will sleep good tonight knowin' that there is more meat for the BBQ and another Snuffer to be sharpened.

BTW - what is YOUR preferred method for processin', preparin', and servin' pork RC?

Keep the wind in your face, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
AS for processing...that pig was processed right where she layed. I put the boned out meat in a backback and "hunt" my way out.
  Boar hogs are rank and I don`t kill one for my freezer. I have friends that will take them for the grill so sometimes I`ll kill one for them.On sows and smaller hogs I cook the shoulders wrapped in tinfoil with "smoke" flavored tabasco sauce and a stick of butter in each.After they are cooked I take them out of the foil and let them cook a minute or two on each side on the open grill with more butter . GOOOOOD eating. I`ll cut small pieces and stir fry with olive oil and thats good too. And last but not least the good old deep fryer with flour . Small strips dipped in thousand island dressing then floured and fried. Better than deer any day.RC

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I think it was luck.  Betcha can't do that again!   :thumbsup:
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Man that is awesome.
Is it normally wet where you hunt, or has drought changed the landscape?

I always read your adventures, and sometimes wonder how you are able to EVER do anything else.
So many hogs... so little time.

Good things come to those who shoot straight!!!

Happy hunting.

Thanks for all your posts. I enjoy every one of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©