3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not Getting To Full Draw  (Read 553 times)

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
Not Getting To Full Draw
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Hey, I've gotten into the habit of not getting to full draw. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not Getting To Full Draw
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Hi Garrett, this should have been posted in the shooters forum. But get a big backstop you can hit up close with your eyes closed. Standing close to the target, with you eyes closed.
Work only on coming to full draw and your release. That should help you out.

Brent

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
Reverse psychology...
Draw until you hit anchor, hold it for five seconds and ease down. Do that about twenty or thirty times and then try a shot.
Its a head game...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Sorry Brent, new to the website. I'll remember that next time. Thanks.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Talk your self thru every, and I do mean every shot!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Garrett,

Both the suggestions by Brent and Jamie are excellent and may very well cure your problem. Failing to reach full draw is a lot like flinching when shooting a rifle. Your anticipation of the shot causes you to rush it before everything is right. Those two exercises are similar to putting fired cartridges into a rifle and having someone fire it normally. Many people will jerk the trigger and flinch even when there is no discharge of the gun. Dry firing a rifle is some of the best target practice you can have because you acquire muscle memory that produces shots that do not try to take into account recoil. Firing arrows into a large target with your eyes closed or drawing the bow, holding it, and then letting off without shooting the arrow are as close to dry firing as you can get without ruining a bow and scaring yourself to death. Once you have been able to attain the muscle memory of drawing and anchoring over and over again without thinking about where your shot will go, that sequence will feel natural to you, and you will pull to full draw and a solid anchor automatically.

I need to do more of those exercises myself at times. Don't worry, we all start losing form and have to go back to work correcting it. The same thing applies to guys who do other instinctive sports too, like Tiger Woods. He is always practicing his form and regularly gets out of form -- just not as often as the rest of the PGA competitors. As a golf pro, Limbow (Kevin Osworth), who is a TG member, can tell you all about exercises that improve form other than just hitting balls or shooting arrows. As in golf or most other sports, a good coach can help you in many ways. Even a fellow trad archer who is fairly knowledgeable can point out obvious flaws and help you discipline yourself to overcome them. The best self coaching comes from a video camera. Let the camera roll while you are shooting. First, it will discipline you to try your utmost to look good for yourself when you review the video. Second, you will probably be able to spot most of the problems you are having all on your own. A really good instructor with a video camera is best of all, because he/she can point out your problem areas on the video and then work with you while you are shooting to help you correct the problems. That is also the way the best golf swing instruction is done in my limited golfing experience. Kevin can tell us all about it if he reads this thread.

There are many really good archery instructors who are part of the Gang, so if I said something wrong here, I hope they will jump all over me and correct it.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I suffer the same problem. If you shoot instinctively the problem stems from your eye focused on the spot and then your bow hand getting to the proper position (aimed) before you come to anchor. This is extremely frustrating and happens to a lot of instinctors that shoot a lot. Fred Asbell suggests a swing draw, which times your anchor and hand to position at the same time. This works for me sometimes, but the timing is critical.

Some great advice here. You must retrain your muscle memory to key on the hand and the anchor together. I hope you can work thru it...

My name is Mark....and I have target panic.....
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
LOL;
AA has a whole new meaning for me now.
(archers anonymous)

Thanks Mark
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Only ONE thing that ever has helped this Target Paniced Archer and wish I would have done it sooner.  A clicker.

I was on the path to solving my problem in about 3 minutes of setup and two shots later.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
These are good suggestions and I would work on them immediatly.The clicker is used by alot of guys to help with this problem.

Not getting to full draw is habit forming and the longer you do it the harder it is to  overcome the problem.You need to reconditon yourself so to speak.

The exorcises listed help and a lighter bow is not a bad idea really to work on things.A book called Traditional Archery Insights is often recommended by folks strugggling with shooting issues like yours and a host of other maladies that can effect your shooting.

i have used some of the same techniques described above and some others to get a handle on getting to full draw and staying solidly at anchor.I am pretty solid right now and have been for some time.I try to never let an arrow go without being at full draw.Its a fast and slippery slope going back to old habits.

Get a routine going ASAP FEIK.You will get results.But it does not happen overnight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©