3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7460 times)

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
Brothers of the Bow webmaster here.  I'm heading down to the Chaparossa on Feb. 28 for the last hunt with uncle Barry and blood brother Gene:^), so I will be waiting to post photos on the BOTB website until I get back.  How about sending me some camp and hunting photos for our upcoming "Pig-Gig 2009" section?  E-mail them to [email protected] or post-em here with permission for me to use them.  I'm sure that Gene and Barry would appreciate that.

Finally, a question for you guys just returning. Was each group assigned specific areas/pastures this time or were you free to roam in specific pastures??  Just curious, because three years ago we were basically roaming with the idea of looking out for the other guy. I know some good spots down there and need to make plans;^)!
Gary Logsdon

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't help out with the big critter down stories, just a couple of little 'uns fer me  :D

I had a great stalk on a cottontail whilst trying to hunt up some javies. I'd worked my way to the top of a rise, along a 3/4 mile stretch of road without seeing hide nor hair of anything porcine. The bunny made the unfortunate mistake of hopping away from me, prsenting me with an 'interesting' shot.....30yds, downhill with only it's butt & back of his head as a target.
Lord only knows how, but I managed to place a .38 special Blunt right between his ears. He never took another step! I doubt if I'll ever make a shot like it again (Although I really, really hope I can!)

The main draw of hunts like this, for me, is the cameraderie, campfire, storytelling (Yes, and BS-ing) & company during the lunch & evenings. Where else in the world can you sit with a sandwich in one hand, ice cold Tecate in the other & watch Woody knapping perfect stone points whilst listening to Gene, Barry, Charlie et al wax lyrical about their previous exploits? I seem to learn so very much from just being around these guys, it's kinda mindblowing.

Oh, and speaking of blowing.......

Grant Young & I had a little evening adventure of our own! On Tuesday night (As I'm sure you're aware) Tornados ripped through North Texas & Oklahoma. Well, we caught a lot of the tail & side winds throwing 70-80MPH gales through our area for a steady 5 or 6 hours. During this time, we realised that Woody & JC had not returned to camp. Grant & I (being of slightly less than sound mind) volunteered to drive out into the brush & try & locate them. The mesquite did an admirable job ofacting like a windbreak & when we found them, they really didn't know just how bad things were in camp. We convoyed up with Grant & I leading off (JC asking the fatal question " Y'all know where you're going, right?") Obviously we knew where we were going! (The cheek of the man!) 3 hours later, having missed a turn, Grant & I had to admit to not having a bloody clue where we were! (JC & Woodrow had made it back to camp, just fine. The swines) We weren't even sure if we were still in Texas! Low on gas, although not on beer, we soldiered valiantly on and returned to camp some 3-1/2 hours behind the guys we'd gone out to look for! Oh the shame! Oh the indignity! Oh the applause when we got back into Whip's Tipi  :D  :D  Doug & Whip between them had knocked up a batch of buffalo & elk burgers for all in attendance & all who remained in camp (Some of the less adventurous...OK....smarter guys had opted to take a motel for the night) sat around in the Tipi telling tall tales, stuffing ourselves sick with burgers & corn chips, washed down with cold beer & excellent Single Malts. It was one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime-Brothers-in-adversity' nights that builds solid & lasting friendships. Brilliant. just brilliant!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Guess that lets me off the Hook for story tellin as well....No Blood here either..   :wavey:

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
:(    :rolleyes:    :confused:    :saywhat:    :knothead:    :help:    :banghead:
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
No blood here either but lots of stalks, at least two or three per day...just couldn't close the deal on the little rascals.  These javies always kept their noses in the wind which make getting close real tough.
Gary...we could roam but we watched for signs of other hunters....corned sendaros.  If you happened onto one we just drove on through and looks at other areas.  Of course, we had the whole 80,000 acres to work with....finding a new road was fairly simple.  My partner and I usually drove 13 miles from camp to the area we hunted all week.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Alright Guy's if you want a kill story I'm going to do my best to give you one.My trip started with a drive alone from north east arkansas down to south texas, and after visiting with my couse and getting good wine and fed up. I headed to sanantone airport to deal with security in order pick up border Bob.For those not familiar with Border Bob security and border patrol is a given issue when Bob is your traveling companion.Since I know the drill we escaped without issue and blasted off to the famouse PigGig.When we arrived it was as windy as a bag full of farts at bbq convention.But after a short time We had a camp in order and the lies,deciet,and outragouse story tellin commenced.  .The now famous Thomas Burns put the crowd at a hush when he rolled into camp after a scouting expedition with a javie on the tailgate.Needles to say there wasn't much sleep the first night with everyone anticipating the first hunt.It wasn't long before uncle Barry pulled in with a hog and javie showing his guest how cow eats the cabbage and this was followed by a very intense and grueling interogation as you might expect I have a picture of that as well.   Does Barry look a little nervous?Charlie hadem cornered.Well about 2 day's into this deal we had a minor setback.A very intense wind storm managed to rearange camp in the most violent way.Border Bob and I had a much better sand box than tent and there wasn't any gear or shelter among camp that didn't suffer sand blasting and chaos.Bob and I headed for the nearest town and got a room at the Holiday Inn Express, a hot shower and was back at camp the following morning in time to survey the damage.   Camp was a little rearranged, stuff everywhere.But the wendsal bothers were hard at work keeping the moral up by giving us some of there most sought after poses in the film industries such as his one With a quick recovery Bob and I were back chasing Hogs and javies.We had some tuff mojo, every well thought out plan we had seemed to backfire before it ever got off the ground.Thursday evening found us trying to capitalize on a fruitless week and our last full day of hunting was at hand.We had discoverd some javie that Charlie,Whip, and smiley had given up on, and with there permission,and there corn,and with smiley opening the gate from camp they wished us luck in there culled hunting area.As they sent us on our way.The long drive out was some what special to Me.Bob presented a knife he wanted me to keep and with this gift I promised Bob our mojo had just taken a turn for the better.I was dropped off at my destination as Bob went on to his preplanned spot and I had no more got settled in and here come a javie right down  toward me.After wating for the quarter away shot I stood up slowly, picked a spot behind the last rib and released.I watched the arrow go in and the javie turned and looked right at me before turning several circles and taking his last breath with in ten yds.Because Bob had aborted plans due to the direction of the wind he arrived immediatly on the spot while in transit and the picture session hand shaking session followed.  Bob was soon on his way back to his spot with a quick ajustment for the wind.After dark I began to wonder where Bob was.I made my way in his direction and was met by a very excited but concerned Bob.He had a hit and it was time to do a tracking job.After finding the first spot of blood we were off to the races and a short time later we were standing over our second kill of the evening.We had ourselves a double :   Does this guy look excited or what?Back at camp we shared our good fortune had much food and drink in celebration and ofcourse more pics    I was ask of my experience as a javalina hunter and I had to be honest,I don't know crapola about javie hunting but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.   :thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
I can't wait until I can get together with a bunch of Tradgangers and go huntin'!! Soon I hope, very soon.
                    -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
GREAT STORY!!The Holiday Inn Express will do it every time.
BIll

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
All right, all right, I'll do a little telling.  Mind you, it doesn't have a happy ending.      :readit:    

Soon I had a lot of company on the road.  There were three whitetails behind me picking corn up out of my footprints.  They knew I was there and watched me carefully, but the allure of free corn was worth the risk.  In front of me were two more whitetails and even at a great distance -- maybe 250 yards -- I could see that one of them was a dandy 5x5.  My eyes are pretty good, but to be able to count tines on a buck that far away means he was carrying some impressive headgear.  At one point a bobcat crossed the road.  He paused halfway across, looked at me, and faded across the road.  

There was a lot of traffic on this little road, but no pigs or javies.  And the pigs to the south were still raising hell in the thick stuff.  The sun was hitting the horizon and I needed to make something happen.  I noticed a fence line running south from my road with a good trail beside it.  That might be my way to get on those pigs.

I headed south, hustling fast to get close to the noise.  I couldn't get in front of them, though, because of the wind.  I hoped that some might head my direction as they moved toward the distant stock tank where JC was sitting.  Didn't happen, though, they continued south, where I heard lots of screaming, fighting, and the screeching of fenceline as hogs pushed their way through.  Not much to do but stand and listen, filing this info away for the next night.  Just as it got dusky, hogs started moving through the calf-high grass across the fence.  

Most things appear larger in the dark, especially when they're critters that can bite.  These hogs were no exception.  The first several looked fully grown -- 100 to 150 pounds -- accompanied by flocks of footballs.  Then the big boys appeared.  They dwarfed everything else in the field.  I told my eyes they were lying:  those can't be 300 pound hogs (or bigger).  Perhaps they were VW buses that hippies had decorated with ears and tails...  No way can there be that many hogs of that size in one field...  I watched, mouth open in disbelief, until it was pitch dark.  I slipped back to the north on the quiet trail along the fenceline.

I ducked through the big gap in the fence and stood on the east-west road where I'd seen the deer and the bobcat.  Who was out now in the dark?  I dug my SureFire out of my pants pocket and shined to the west.  More deer.  Was the big buck still down the road to the east?  He was gone, but a 100 pound black hog was scarfing corn out of the road 150 yards away.  He didn't seem to be bothered at all by the light...

A glass-tipped cane arrow came out of the otter skin quiver as I started his direction.  I needed to keep one eye on the hog and one eye on the noisy rocks, but now the hog was feeding my direction and closing fast.  I stood on the right hand tire ruts and he fed on the other side of the narrow track where JC had trickled corn out the window.  He was coming nearly head-on or quartering hard at me -- no real shot.  I had to wait until he turned broadside -- IF he'd turn broadside.

A year earlier I'd killed a hog at night by balancing my flashlight sideways on my head.  Not exactly orthodox, but it worked then.  Now it looked like time to try it again.  At 25 yards, I put the little light on my head and started to raise my bow.  My hand and parts of the bow were in the edges of the beam and the hog looked up.  We both froze and thought for a minute:  his desire for corn outweighed his concerns and he resumed his feeding walk toward me, never turning broadside.  

I couldn't believe it...  How close would this hog come without ever offering a shot?  I stared hard at the base of his neck, wondering if the 740 grain arrow would penetrate into the vitals.  I didn't know the anatomy well enough, but figured it was a low-percentage shot and waited.  I didn't have long to wait.  In seconds, the hog was standing broadside, just the width of tire tracks away.  I started to draw the Moab, leaning over to aim down at the hog's exposed shoulder.  No longer balanced, the light started sliding off my head.  I quickly pulled the bow string back and released the arrow, not sure that I'd hit anchor, but at less than five feet, even I could hit a hog.  The arrows slammed home with a loud "thwack," only penetrating five or six inches.  It squealed loudly once and spun into the tall grass.  I picked up the light and watched it run twenty yards to a small rise where it turned in two tight circles before disappearing into the cactus and mesquite thickets.

I marked the shooting spot in the road with broken branches, one of them pointing in the direction the hog ran.  Then I headed down the little road to the west to walk north on the big road to where JC had parked the truck.  Far in the distance I saw tail lights headed away and figured that he'd already made a circuit around the big square looking for me.  When I walked the 3/4 mile to the corner I decided to stand and wait, enjoying the cool night as the adrenaline rush gradually faded.  It was another mile to the truck, but thought JC would be along shortly.

The stars were wonderful to see.  They looked full and ripe, like I could reach up and pick a handful.  There were the Seven Sisters, the "V" of Taurus, and Orion the Hunter.  I wondered how many great hunts he'd watched from his perch in the sky.  Off to the northwest, there was a low black crescent of night clouds.  I stood there about twenty minutes, picking out the few constellations I could remember and listening to the nightbirds.  

Finally ready to walk more, I headed north to find JC, eager to get on the hog's trail.  That low black crescent in the sky was climbing higher -- must be a front coming in.  It rapidly spread across the sky, black and menacing, eating the stars as it grew.  When it was almost overhead, I heard freight trains in the sky.  Instantly, all the trees doubled over from the weight of the wind.  Sand scoured my face and arms.  I pulled my shirt over my face, leaving just a peephole to see through.  Leaning hard into the wind, I felt my way up the road.  The flashlight was nearly useless:  the dust was so thick that I couldn't see more than ten feet.  A couple eternities came and went before I saw the truck's lights.  One second they'd seem bright and the next they were nearly hidden in all the soil blowing by.  JC was relieved to see me -- he'd had hard choices to make:  let me find my way back or drive around, possibly missing me.  He made the right call by staying put.

We quickly talked about all that had happened and drove back to where I shot the hog.  We spent an hour looking for sign, but under those hard conditions we couldn't find anything.  I didn't think there would be much (if any) blood from that shot angle, so I spent a lot of time looking at places where the hog might have doubled back to lie in a protected spot.  Nothing.  Reluctantly, we headed back to camp with a plan to look hard the next morning.

We did look hard.  And for the next few days I kept an eye on ravens and vultures, hoping a kettle of them might show where the hog had died.  I never found it, though, and after talking with JC, I tend to think that the glass point hit the part of the spine that dips lows between the front shoulders.  If anything, the top of one lung was hit, but nothing more.  Maybe one day another hunter will be boning out a nice fat black hog and find a sharp surprise buried deep in the backstrap.  

There are more stories that I'd love JC to share.  Some are hilarious and some are amazing.  Good stuff to come!      :readit:        :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Aaaaahhhhhhh!
That's better!   :D
Well told, Woody. I may just give up writing if I can follow you around and carry your pencils. Looking at the stars this morning, I felt just the same as Orion and I peered at one another. A little less cataclysmic out this way, though. And I was wondering if you were carrying an otterskin quiver.
Now, if we can get the rest of those sluggish penpushers into action, and see some schematics, the mutinous multitude here just may be content to stand down for a bit.

Killdeer   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Primo stuff right there   :thumbsup:  thanks Woody   :thumbsup:    sluggish penpushers   :jumper:

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
I’d stalked well over an hour to within 30 yards of a javelina then quietly slipped off trail behind some branches moments before he surprisingly turned downwind towards me, quickly narrowing the distance between us to 8-10 yards. He offered no shot opportunities in heading directly to me until he drew broadside as he passed my cover. He lunged forward simultaneously with the release of the arrow so that my "perfect shot” morphed horribly into a gut shot!  

I would have left him to search for the next day but we were destined to leave before dawn so after what seemed an interminable pause, I elected to track him that day. I went to meet Tippit at our scheduled time and he readily agreed to help me recover it through the thick, prickly brush. It was not to be. I was left with mixed emotions-sadness and disappointment over an unfortunate result, but admittedly some elation as I was able to draw oh so near and make a shot on a very fast and elusive animal! I was not alone. Folks in camp were remarkably open over their foibles and failures on the prairie. You can do that amongst friends.

The last night: There was this large, graying, javelina that had plagued me over 4 tortuous stalks. He would freeze in prolonged, protective, vigilance while the rest of his cronies continued feeding into the wind. I’d tried waiting him out. I’d tried to loop past his gaze through needled terrain to no avail while he protected his drove. Finally, on our last night and to my amazement, he began trotting towards me while I was yet downwind of him! I was partially obscured by some tall grass and his lower position on the sloped, bumpy trail. I hugged the earth more tightly. I’d planned to take him as he cleared some shrub but as he did so he turned abruptly toward me only to stop 8 FEET away! Predator and prey in a level eye-lock! His mouth actually seemed to gape open as mine did before he snorted and sprinted off in a blink! When I came to         :biglaugh:        I proceeded to stalk to within 20 yards of some small j’s that remained partially hidden. Comparatively, they were about the size of large guinea pigs but I’d learned there is always a good chase where there be javelina!

Never having hunted javies before I can only gush over how much fun they are to pursue! I am almost glad that you cannot chase the critters year round up here as I fear I would accomplish little else! Yet it is the generosity and spirit of our gang that lingers most. I’ll be back, God willing and I pray all these guys are too!

Join us!

Steve
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Arriving in camp with a gathering like this is always exciting.  Last year I got to share Whip's pyramide tent with he and Hormoan.  It was terrific time...not sure if it was the company or finally being in a tent that I could actually stand up in!  

This year I was even more excited to get to camp as I had just purchased the same Panther Pyramid tent that Whip was bringing for our weeks stay.  The tent being 13 feet high and 15X15 feet square, I had no clue as how to erect it.  It actually went up fairly easily with just one pole in the middle and all the sides staked down.  A very comfortable shelter for Whip, Charlie, and myself.  As a side note, you don't have to worry about an alarm clock with Whip in command.  Each morning Charlie and I would be awakened to the hiss of the propane stove & coffee perking.  I know a little decadent but OOOhhh want a nice way to start the day...thanks Joe!

Skipping ahead to Tuesday night, the tent proved it's metal.  The sand storm kicked up right at dark with winds upward of 60-70 mph.  Rob, Grant, and I were some of the first arrivals.  You couldn't see much let alone hardly breathe.  I pull my bandanna over my face just like I remembered Roy Rogers or Clint Eastwood doing.  When I finally made it to the tent the front door flap was wide open letting sand fill the tent.  The only thing I could think to do was to hold my body against it on the inside.  The wind was blowing so hard I couldn't tie the flaps down so I just hung on to it and blocked the opening. I'm not the skinniest guy in camp at 225 pounds...the wind would actually throw me into the tent.  The longer I held the door closed and watched the entire tent quaking like an aspen, the more I wondered how bright I was to be hanging on to a Great White Sail  :scared:  Finally Whip and Charlie showed up and we secured the tent to the wind.

The tent held quite well...providing shelter and allowing Whip to cook up Doug's buffalo & elk burgers to feed the 14 or so guys all huddled inside.

The wind seemed to die down around 11pm but kicked back up with the same force around 1am.  All you could do was pull covers over your head to try and keep sand out of eyes and mouth.  A very long night!  Doc

The pictures aren't grainy due to the camera..it's all the sand in the air.

Whip cooking

Doug & Charlie

Me, JC, & Bull Vance

Woody after being rescued

The tent the following morning.  There had been a large sun awning on front which the wind took.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Well welcome to west Tejas....consider that wind part of life here. Think about this, June 15th '08 (Fathers Day) our ranch takes 90+ mph winds coupled with ping pong ball sized hail for 30 minutes. After emerging from the basement the ground has 6 inches of undrifted hail. Huge flash floods as it quickly melts. That peels the hide off livestock. Gotta love it or leave it. Great writing here men, thanks for sharing the hunt.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Doc, I have some extra gear I would give up to have been there with ya    :eek:      :saywhat:  I think I only brought 4 bows and 200 arrrows   :biglaugh:

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »
Well Doug, I thought you were driving through again.  If you decide to bail out, call ahead and I'll paint a target on the roof!   :D

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
"I don't know crapola about javie hunting but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night."

That is a knee slapper if I've ever heard one! Thanks for the laugh!

Thanks to everybody for sharing!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
Great story telling fellas    :notworthy:  

Hopefully there's a lot more coming with pix    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
Not sure if Gene didn't like what Woody & Doug were cooking or just trying to get the dust out  :bigsmyl:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Or maybe he was looking for a "special ingredient" to add...    :eek:    :scared:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©