3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
We had been seeing a lot of javi's on our stretch of sendaro, with a couple of groups of hogs thrown in for good measure.  Charlie, Smiley and I decided to focus our attention for the remainder of the hunt right there.

I had thought of javi's as more daytime animals, but the full moon seemed to keep them from coming out as early as normally expected.  Just at dark a group fed out on my end of the road, and I stalked to close the distance.  

Finally broadside at 10 yards, my shot looked true, and the javi tore off into the brush.  But as often seems to be the case, blood sign was nil.  I made a short ground search in the area it had run and saw something move in the cactus ahead of me.  I couldn't be sure it was the animal I hit, so I made the decision to back out and wait for morning.  

My poor experience from the previous night caused me to be extra cautious, but me fears proved unfounded.  The following morning I found my prize laying within 40 yards of the original shot.  I must have been very close the night before, but the thick brush hid her well.

I was relived to make the recovery, and especially please when butchering yeilded sweet unspoiled meat.  What a relief!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
We'll tell that one together...but it won't be the same without the "cheech&chong" accents we used on the first recounting   :biglaugh:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Woody say " Hey essai- whassat?" was more than I was prepared for at the time; I believe I'll remember it forever.

Offline Sean Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Headed to week 4 of the pig gig tomorrow morning......see you in Dallas Jeff!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the memory nudge, Joe! How could I forget that little bit of excitement... OK, didn't forget, just had it out of order in my memory.
  :D  
"I eased to the edge of the road trying to figure my next move, and Charlie snuck along the edge to catch up with me. Suddenly the javi's came back to the road, led by Blondie! But we were caught flat footed, and were busted before we had a chance."

When I left Joe the action was not long in coming. The javelina I was moving on drifted into the brush before I had gotten in range, so I moved into the brush with them.

The thing about javi's is that when they drift off into the prickly stuff, or even when they are spooked away from the open, they often don't go far before settling down and milling around.
They find great comfort and security off in the brush.

So it was that I found my quarry a mere 30 yards off the sendero. As so often happens with the little musk hogs, an unseen javi moved close as I stalked another.

Caught off guard for this close encounter I moved slowly to turn my body for the shot.
With little to no cover between us I'd just have to take my chances and attempt the shot.

With arrow pointed at the javi's shoulder, I slowly drew my Sunbear, but before even reaching my face with my drawing hand, the little beggar spotted the movement.

I snatched the string on back to anchor and released, but even as the string was slipping off my finger tips, the javi whirled and my arrow passed harmlessly alongside him.

POOP!!!     :banghead:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
That little bit of action sent all the javi packing and I returned to the road where I could see Joe a hundred yards away.

Slipping along the edge of the sendero I closed the distance, careful not to expose myself to anything Joe might have been working on.

We were possibly ten yards apart with me still on the side of the sendero hugging the brush when the javi's appeared ahead of us.

I thought for a second that I might still have time to "disappear" into the brush, but just as quickly realized that would be impossible.

I just had time to do a quarter turn facing a mesquite and covering my face with my gloved hand willed myself to be invisible.

It looked like it might work as I peeked from between the splayed fingers of my right hand.
The javelina boar that strode confidently toward us was magnificent.

He was large and remarkably had a blond band running around his midsection in addition the the normal collar.
His shoulders in front of the normal band were light blond. I'd never seen a javelina like him before and probably never will again.

Just as I thought he'd be giving Joe a shot I saw the hairs on his back stiffen slightly. DANG! I knew this encounter was about to end and so it did.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
"Blondie sounded the alarm again, and the herd scattered, but Charlie and I were right behind them. We each moved to cover openings in the brush, and within seconds had javi's trying to work their way through us. As one tried to slip through to my left I tried to slip an arrow into his shoulder."

I saw Joe draw his bow out of the corner of my eye as I carefully watched another javi that stood behind a screen of brush to my right front.
The soft thump of Joe's RER longbow didn't even register alarm in the javi I was watching.

It took a minute but finally it moved into more open cover. I saw a shot opening and though the javi was some 20 yards distant, I felt confident.
I sent a white fletched messenger spinning his way.

At the last instant the carbon shaft clipped a small branch of mesquite and passed harmlessly under the javi.

DANG,DANG, DOUBLE DANG, POOP!!!   :knothead:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
After all the action had settled, Joe and I had a brief conference. He'd follow his animal and I'd return to the road to watch.

From that point on I was unaware of his dilemma. I returned to my seat to watch and wait.

It was quiet for a little while, but it didn't take long for the ever present deer to reappear.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Charlie,
Those pics make me home sick  :thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm with ya Mike! Fortunately we have our QB BearQuest III coming up in June to ease the pain and you ARE going! There, I settled it for ya so keep yer bags packed!            :readit:                    :bigsmyl:    

In fact, let's everybody go to Quebec in June! We'll just work Tommy and his crew like stolen mules to set up more stands! Joe and Doc can bring some tepees...you in Diablo?!       :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Yeah, c'mon Mike. Gitcherself up to Quebec in June, I'll drive!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Okay gang tomorrow ksbowman, Fatman and I are headed to the Pig Gig. Wakeup time for me is 01:00. Need to be on the road by 02:00 to be in Paola, Kansas by 03:30. Travel time to the week four ranch is approximately 9.5 hours from Paola.

If we have cell phone service I will try to keep local guys up to date on our adventures so they can relay our time at the gig to everyone on Trad Gang.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
:archer:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Good luck Tom.... it'll take me until you return to finish my story anyway.
  :bigsmyl:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Stay safe.    :thumbsup:    :jumper:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Good luck to the guys heading out this week. MoBo ranch was "NO HOG" ranch. Gene and Barry can fill you in I guess.   :(
lll

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
I hear talk of the pipe line road. that road was very good to me last year. Great stories

doug77

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Finally need to finish up my little piece of this story.

The last night of hunting found Charlie, Smiley, and I back at our familiar spot.  We had a hot spot nailed down, and were determined to ride it until the end.  

Charlie took the northwest end of the road (I was pretty good with my sense of direction by now  :rolleyes: ) and Smiley guarded the southeast, leaving me to roam the middle ground.  

As was becoming the pattern here, action was slow to start with, but once it got rolling was hot and heavy.  First was a group of hogs down Charlies way.  They were filtering in my direction, and I eased that way to make the trip shorter for them.  

Eventually they turned and headed off, and by then there were javis out down toward Smiley, so I headed back in that direction.  And for the rest of the evening that is the way it went.  Always getting close, but never getting quite close enough.

Just as dusk settled in Charlie and I made a pincher move on a group of javi's between us, but once again they filtered off before either of us could lose a shaft.  Charlie walked the road toward me to rendezvous, and just then I noticed a new group out on the road behind me.

With daylight quickly fading, I double timed in their direction.  As I got closer I was able to use paths through the brush to maneuver into position in front of them.  The wind was good, and I found a thick prickly pear clump behind which to make my stand.  

I could hardly believe my eyes when Blondie was leading the pack.  Could it happen at the last minute?  No sooneer had the thought registered in my brain than he turned and filtered into the brush in front of me.  I watched as he passed through an opening at 20 yards, but it happened fast, and no shot was presented.

The rest of the group followed behind, and one of them ambled my way.  It wasn't Blondie, but it would certainly do.  As it stopped in an opening at 10 yards I brought the string to my cheek and the arrow was away.  Right over his back!  Dang!!!!!  :banghead:  

And then I noticed yet another of the little stink pigs headed straight for me.  At less than 8 feet I tried to move my bow, but when he caught the movement he bolted through the opening.  And then he stopped and looked back at me - in exactly the same spot his buddy had vacated upon my miss just seconds ago!

The arrow was on its way before I could think about it.  The hit appeared to be back further than I would like, but with the sharp quartering away angle I hoped it would do the job.  Not being quite sure, I elected to mark my spot with toilet paper and back out.  I didn't even walk up to where he stood.

We returned to camp and enjoyed one last huge meal with the rest of our camp mates.  The last night of a hunt like this is always bittersweet.  We were having the time of our lives, but in the back of our minds we knew it was nearing the end.

I rounded up a posse to help with the search for the javi, and armed with lights we spread out at the scene.  Blood sign was nil, but scent in the air was strong.  Very Strong!  Following noses instead of blood spor, in a matter of minutes they had him.  Although it had only been a couple of hours though, we weren't quite fast enough.  Coyotes had already found him, and had a front quarter nearly eaten.

Put out by being chased off from his evening meal, the coyote yipped and barked from back in the brush.  JC yipped right back at him and as the domanant predators of this night we claimed stake to the rest of it.

Back at camp as I skinned him out I found the rest of the meat to be clean and untainted, and it was quickly bagged and put on ice.  How cool is that?  To be able to literally share a meal with a true predator of the wild!  I don't mind a bit!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I wasn't able to add my pictures as I went, so I'll just share a few of them now.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©